digitally signed sweetlow 1000hz mouse driver - Page 35 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

digitally signed sweetlow 1000hz mouse driver

post #341 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 01:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 31)
Quote: Originally Posted by Federmaus 
Quote:
Apparently since the new anniversary update, windows now requires "extendes validation certificates" which can only be prevented by either not using UEFI Boot or atleast disabling secure boot.
No, EV Certificate needed from initial release of Win10 and hidusbf have this certificate.
But according to Driver Signing changes in Windows 10, version 1607 things changed once again
Quote:
Starting with new installations of Windows 10, version 1607, the previously defined driver signing rules will be enforced by the Operating System, and Windows 10, version 1607 will not load any new kernel mode drivers which are not signed by the Dev Portal. OS signing enforcement is only for new OS installations; systems upgraded from an earlier OS to Windows 10, version 1607 will not be affected by this change.
FAQs

What are the exact exceptions? Are cross-signed drivers still valid?

Enforcement only happens on fresh installations, with Secure Boot on, and only applies to new kernel mode drivers:

PCs upgrading from a release of Windows prior to Windows 10 Version 1607 will still permit installation of cross-signed drivers.
PCs with Secure Boot OFF will still permit installation of cross-signed drivers.
Drivers signed with an end-entity certificate issued prior to July 29th, 2015 that chains to a supported cross-signed CA will continue to be allowed.
To prevent systems from failing to boot properly, boot drivers will not be blocked, but they will be removed by the Program Compatibility Assistant. Future versions of Windows will block boot drivers.

To summarize, on non-upgraded fresh installations of Windows 10, version 1607 with Secure Boot ON, drivers must be signed by Microsoft or with an end-entity certificate issued prior to July 29th, 2015 that chains to a supported cross-signed CA.

What about existing drivers? Do I need to re-sign these drivers to get them to work with Windows 10, version 1607?

No. Existing drivers do not need to be re-signed. To ensure backwards compatibility, drivers which are properly signed by a valid cross-signing certificate issued prior to July 29th, 2015 will continue to pass signing checks on Windows 10, version 1607.
P.S. to shorten MS description - "now WE are only allow running anything on OUR OS"

Last edited by SweetLow; 03-17-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 04:26 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 353 (Unique: 251)
Secure boot what?

Just take your boots off, put your feet up and enjoy the driver I say.
post #343 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post

P.S. to shorten MS description - "now WE only allow running anything on OUR OS"

Yea so the only option is to either use classic BIOS Boot or disable secure boot if you come from a fresh install of windows 10, pretty ******** imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #344 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federmaus View Post

Yea so the only option is to either use classic BIOS Boot or disable secure boot if you come from a fresh install of windows 10, pretty ******** imo.
May be one another (hacking) option exists - tell to the fresh installation that it is upgraded biggrin.gif But now i don't know if it is possible and how to do.
post #345 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:25 AM
Overclocker

So how was the signing process before and how it is now? What is the difference from developer point of view? Are they trying to extort more money for drivers to get resigned or is it just a oh well we want to check/validate all the drivers running on our new OS but if the driver is fine they will sign it no problem?
post #346 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

So how was the signing process before and how it is now? What is the difference from developer point of view? Are they trying to extort more money for drivers to get resigned or is it just a oh well we want to check/validate all the drivers running on our new OS but if the driver is fine they will sign it no problem?
>What is the difference from developer point of view?
You MUST have microsoft sign to run new (version of) driver flawlessly on all windows.

>So how was the signing process before and how it is now?
Before - you sign your driver by EV Cert and then distribute driver to users.
Now - you sign your driver by EV Cert, send it to MS to get MS sign, wait reaction and only then distribute driver to users.

>Are they trying to extort more money for drivers to get resigned or is it just a oh well we want to check/validate all the drivers running on our new OS but if the driver is fine they will sign it no problem?
Not "or". "and", my friends rolleyes.gif
post #347 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Overclocker

Are you in process of getting it signed by MS or do they want money for EV cert and then again money for MS cert/check/extortion/annoyance? I will have to see how it goes on Win10 still in process of fresh install, all in all I could run without secure boot, I'm not sure I'm using it even now.
Does the driver need to run in Kernel mode? If not it could be fine without the new MS BS.

Since Logitech is extorting money with the new mice I'm still keeping my old IE3.0 albeit it needs some maintenance again after 1-2 years. Buttons are getting funky. Gotta contact clean spray them.
post #348 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 03:27 PM
Overclocker

Absolutely no problem with the hidusbf-7-8-81-10 - SIGNED DRIVER on Win10x64. As normal, fast boot and secure boot are disabled when installing the OS and drivers. Sure secure boot can be useful but I have not used it yet. May try enabling it now that the driver is installed and see what happens biggrin.gif
Anyone tried already? I have no problem using Win10 just like Win8.1, all that MS does is add more bloatware, spyware and crapware that I have to uninstall from a new installation of OS. Can't even choose which components to install anymore during setup so one ends up with all the junk and useless games on a clean install.

As on Win8.1 same method to set it up, 3 clicks, done. Checked with 3 monitoring apps all show 1000Hz.
post #349 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:42 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 71 (Unique: 47)
I dunno, Secure Boot should be turned off anyways, they're pretty much a backdoor about as securely implemented as an automatic entrance.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that the comfort of a Logitech shape, is inversely proportional to the R&D put into its making.
post #350 of 1108 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Overclocker

Yeah M$ leaked the not so secret golden backdoor keys. While probably reversible if they fix it and new mobo UEFI with updated secure boot is used. Still, such features are just fake wanna be security to deter an easy access. Problem is who ever is making malicious software or wants to get into the PC usually knows the stuff well and how to get around it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in