Razer Lancehead TE vs Sensei (Fnatic Edition) Review - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Razer Lancehead TE vs Sensei (Fnatic Edition) Review

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 157 (Unique: 144)
Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition vs SteelSeries Sensei (Fnatic Edition)

Notable differences between the regular Sensei and the Fnatic edition:
Rubber top/smooth plastic sides
No ****ty paint that flakes off over time
Team Fnatic logo
Black/White/Orange color scheme
No SteelSeries logo
Unware if any hardware changes (unlikely)

Quick note: After owning the original Sensei, I bought the Fnatic edition after it broke instead of rebuying the original model. This was due to the it being cheaper initially, but highly prefer it over the original because of the textures on the mouse.

Background

The Lancehead Tournament Edition was just recently released. It appears to be Razer's answer to the Sensei market. So for people like me who prefer the ambidextrous design kin to the Intelli 1.1, it's a great feeling mouse.

I've had a Sensei for years and before that a Xai. The only mice I can remember having are the Intelli 1.1, Razer Pro Solutions 1.6, Xai, and Sensei. I never really liked the MX518 style or feel and thus pretty much any Logitech mouse. I've also never really been a big fan of the Deathadder either due to it's size and shape. From my personal experience, Razer products don't last very long, yes yours might have, but people also drive cars with recalls that never see a problem.

Yesterday I decided it's time to try a new mouse. I ended up buying a Cougar 450m black/orange which has the rubber coating for $30 on Amazon. Sadly, I saw the Lancehead TE hours later and it was too late due to it being shipping already (prime...GG).

The LH TE seemed like everything I wanted in a mouse. A rubber top with a different material on the sides (I still highly prefer rubber top/plastic sides), two buttons on each side, high quality feeling, and no fancy shaping to it.

Pictures:

Actual review:

So to the actual thoughts on the mouse. I paid $84~ with tax + $10 for the 2 year extended warranty. Still skeptical of Razer QC and support.

Cable: It's braided, however it's a really soft material and isn't stiff at all. I'd say about 30% softer and less stiff than the Sensei.

Scroll wheel: It's tactile in feel, meaning every scroll is definitive and you won't overscroll. Compared to the Sensei it's pretty stiff, which is a downside personally. It takes much more energy to scroll a good amount. However, I wish there was a middle ground. The Sensei is perhaps too loose and you can overscroll. It's basically just on the other side of the spectrum.

Mouse1/M2:
There's two notable differences, but they're very slight. The LH requires a tad bit more force. It's pretty slight, to the point they feel the same til you compare both side by side. The other minor difference being the LH has a more clickable back end towards the back of the mouse.

Side Buttons: One of my bigger gripes with this mouse is how hard it is to use the outer side buttons. People who are getting this mouse most likely considered those a big reason. There are more than enough mice with this shape and such with only two side buttons for people who complain about accidentally hitting them. The biggest issue with them is how far into the mouse they are; they don't stick out. You actually scrape your fingers if you slide them down on the sides, it makes little sense for that design. The other issue is they're too far back. This wouldn't really matter if they were protruding out more.

On top of that, they actually require a great deal of force to click and considering you (or at least I) use the finger next to the pinky, it's quite annoying and discomforting due to the lack of strength in that finger.

The Sensei on the other had does it very well. Yeah, I/you need to move your hand to use the back end button, but the front one was in a great place where I just had to move my finger upwards off the plastic on the side. When I try this on the LH it's really awkward due to it being sunk into the mouse; again, it makes no sense why they did it this way. I might try to fix this with a mod or something, it's that annoying.

Top Surface: The LH surface is a bit more rougher in feeling compared to the Fnatic Edition Sensei. I'd call it a matte rubber I guess? Compared to the normal Sensei it's a hard rubber vs plastic.

Side Surface: Until I have a longer gaming session and/or it's hot out, I don't think I can really comment that much on the sides. However, to compared them, the LH has a slit rubber design vs the glossy plastic on the Sensei.

I would say the plastic on the Sensei has a bit more grip to it when I swipe my thumb on it. There's more resistance.

As for tempature, the Sensei still feels cool and so does the LH, but I could for sure see the TH heating up with long sessions due to it being rubberized. Time will tell.

The Shape: They're both fairly neutral, however the LH is the least so. The Sensei has a very consistent shape, while the LH veers off this towards the front on the M1/M2 buttons.

See:
You lose out on the natural down curve of your fingers with a palm hand style. Rather than having a smooth arc/rainbow shape like you would with the Sensei, your fingers are more like a downward line; there's less curve to it/your fingers.

Another issue is along with the front curves, there are some in the back near the knuckle of the/my thumb.

It's not that big of a deal, but so far it is the 'biggest' issue with the mouse that I have considering the market it's targeting.
Comfort: As a sub point, it's not uncomfortable as other mice when going from the consistent Sensei shape. I think it's a decent adjustment when transitioning.

Aesthetics: The LH wins this pretty hard IMO. The standard Sensei requires a pretty niche want from people, while the LH is black with RGB LEDs and several ways to customize. I personally have this setup:

Tracking: just browsing and doing stuff in MS paint, it's not very noticeable. I suppose to might seem smoother on the LH, but it's not ridiculous or easily noticeable. Obviously the LH sensor is better going by specs and laser vs optical, but in personal experience the consistency of a sensor matters the most. It's a safe bet tho the LH sensor will be solid.

Conclusion:

• The cable is solid and is more on par with soft plastic cables. Almost no stiffness.
  • Scroll wheel is stiffer, but more precise.
  • No real difference besides texture when it comes to the M1/M2 clicks.
  • Side buttons are pretty bad, worst design on the mouse. Too sunk into the mouse; hard to click.
  • Top surface is a rough matte rubber. Not bad or better, but perhaps provides more grip.
  • Side surface provides grip, but it might heat up with long sessions compared to the Sensei's plastic.
  • The second gripe I have with this mouse is the overall design. Again, they missed the mark for this market IMO. They went with the classic Razer inspiration when designing the mouse. It's not as bad as their other mice, but it's there. It's the consistent, safe shape of the Sensei/Intelli 1.1 that makes them my all time favorites.
  • Great astehtics. Low profile look provided if wanted, but can also be flashy with up to date RGB lighting and modes.
  • Tracking seems fine. Requires more use to fully know it, but it seems smooth and responsive. No issues on my cloth QcK+ Dota 2 pad.

I'll probably post a review comparison of the Cougar 450M when it gets here.

gaming headphone blog (old)
3770k @ 5Ghz P15305 3DMark 11 score
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT1990, DT990 250Ω, Audio Technica ATH-A700, Grado SR60i, Sennheiser HD 280, & HD 201.
Speakers: Klipsch RP-150M (2.0) AVR: Yamaha RX-V375
Audio hardware: Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card, FiiO E09k, FiiO E6, and FiiO D3 (unused).
Phoneix
(37 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 5Ghz 24/7
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GPU
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 XTREME Gaming Premium Pack
RAM
G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 10CAS
Hard Drive
Western Digital Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital My Book 5TB USB 3.0
Hard Drive
Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0
Optical Drive
LG DVD Burner
Power Supply
Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W modular
Cooling
Corsair H110
Case
Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White
Operating System
Windows 10 64 bit
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Monitor
ASUS VE248Q Black 24" 2ms LED
Monitor
QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll 27" 1440p 120Hz
Monitor
PLANAR PX2710MW 27" 2ms
Keyboard
Pok3r RGB (Cherry MX-Silver)
Mouse
SteelSeries Sensei 310
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK+ DOTA 2 Edition (x2)
Audio
FiiO E6
Audio
Audio Technica A700
Audio
Sennheiser HD 280
Audio
Sennheiser HD 201
Audio
Grado 60i
Audio
FiiO E09k
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm
Audio
M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Speakers
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
Audio
Klipsch RP-150M
Audio
Yamaha RX-V375
Other
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1850
Other
Asus Dual Band (2.4GHz 300Mbps/5GHz 300Mbps) Wireless-N USB Adapter (USB-N53)
Other
NZXT Hue LED strip controller
Other
Lamptron FC5 v3 fan controller
Other
Ducky OCN.net DK9008G2 PRO (work)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:54 AM
PC Gamer

Rep: 51 (Unique: 45)
interesting comparison.

the fnatic sensei is one of my fav mice of all time (and the vanilla sensei), the button clicks are godlike, even better than the new logitech switches. nice to see this review. thanks thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in