New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells - Page 217 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells

post #2161 of 2410 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrick View Post
I started out as a "Leftie" but eventually switched over to the other side.

No regrets whatsoever because this is after all the RIGHTie world of play here. Knew that one day the Right's will kill off all Leftie's hence was better off changing arms than sticking with a dying decision to remain on the left side.

Not fair I know, but this is the World we are all currently forced to live in. Until that changes, you are forced to adapt or fall by the way side.
i played right handed all my life till about 24 switched to left and never looked back....im very left handed though my right hand is useless and though i miss keying with my left hand i prefer mousing with the left more...

i used to avoid fps games when i played right handed because i just felt like a i was no good...a friend begged me to play csgo so i ended up getting into it trying to improve and that made me switch mousing hands..

Last edited by Rhys7; 06-25-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2410 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhys7 View Post
i played right handed all my life till about 24 switched to left and never looked back....im very left handed though my right hand is useless and though i miss keying with my left hand i prefer mousing with the left more...

i used to avoid fps games when i played right handed because i just felt like a i was no good...a friend begged me to play csgo so i ended up getting into it trying to improve and that made me switch mousing hands..
Sorry for offtop, but how long it took to get comfortable with playing left hand?
post #2163 of 2410 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by pr0l4nd View Post
Sorry for offtop, but how long it took to get comfortable with playing left hand?
i think it depends on you really but for me i remember it feeling impossible when i switched i couldnt even move around a map or turn or do anything it felt awful like i had to learn everything again and it felt like this for months!

i used to play an hour or two left handed a day and then switched back to right handed so i could actually enjoy playing....so csgo 2 hours left handed deathmatch with bots to start lol it was that difficult...then some mmo right handed...i did this for id say like 4 months....many times i quit and thought f*** this i cba with it quit for a week....but then i went back and eventually i got even better with my left than right and i laugh when i use a mouse right handed now....what motivated me was that i couldnt find anyone at all on the internet who had switched only people who had given up...or been told it would take too much time THE BEST ONE WAS IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT HAND YOU USE YOU CAN GET GOOD WITH ANY LOL...i now do better than friends who have played certain fps from young ages....its a shame my hands are a weird size...really wide, wider than they should be for my length....21.5 by 11.5 and my hands are quite skinny too so like if they were fatter more of a cushion i reckon flatter mice like the fk might feel better...

it actualy got to a point where id be playing csgo with freinds and id get mad playing left handed mainly because i found using the keys with my right hand really tough you know kinda strafing and countering the movement with your mouse crosshair...i would literaly switch my mouse back to right because of how awkward it was...but now im like 10x better with my left....

some people are quite ambidextrous im not at all, i remember doing riot training when i was in the army, the batton we used you to hold in your right hand because the shields where left handed and i swung it like a girl and just couldnt grasp it but in my left i was as good as everyone else...
also keybinds are a nightmare...ive had razer blackwidow and you can remap all the keys so ive never had any issues....another thing is i bought my keyboard when i was living in cyprus im orginaly uk so its a foreign layout which is the only reason i can use the right side of the keyboard without any messing about

most of the other layouts have a larger enter key and this forces your hand away from the shift and ctrl......its the reason i cant upgrade my keyboard...

so yeah it takes time but if you just do a few hours a day against bots on games its frustrating but sometimes fun to watch your progress...and it feels good in the end...so about a year id say...for me...

Last edited by Rhys7; 06-26-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2410 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

thx for answer
post #2165 of 2410 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Im really interested in making a g303 shape its my favorite current shape and id really like to know how i would go about figuring out the whole 3D printing thing 🙂
post #2166 of 2410 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Back on topic, will the firmware be open source?
Do you have the final samples yet? It's been three weeks, and I believe the ETA for them was 1-2 weeks.
If you do have them, how are they? Do any tweaks need to be made?
Finally, you said the secret feature would likely be revealed (or completed?) about a month after the update. Now that we're closer to that time, can we get a bit more information about it?
post #2167 of 2410 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:25 AM
bst
Hardware Rep

Rep: 90 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cryoxic View Post
Back on topic, will the firmware be open source?
Do you have the final samples yet? It's been three weeks, and I believe the ETA for them was 1-2 weeks.
If you do have them, how are they? Do any tweaks need to be made?
Finally, you said the secret feature would likely be revealed (or completed?) about a month after the update. Now that we're closer to that time, can we get a bit more information about it?
I'm not sure about the firmware. I think some tournament organisers worry about people being able to cheat with it, although, I don't actually know how you could cheat with it. But I don't personally mind it being open source. Its something I haven't really looked into yet. But it can always be changed at any time, even once people have the mouse, I can still publish the code. However I do think that there might not be much point in it, because I can always add requests to the code myself, and it keeps it official.

I don't have the samples yet, its still going to be a few days, because it took a while to get the firmware from my engineer, I have now ordered the programmed MCUs though. After they arrive, it should be ready to go.

The secret thing isn't really a huge secret, its something that people already knew could be done with the mouse. But probably not everyone knew the extent. What it basically is, is free shell designs you can use with the Astrum, not just panels, but full shells designed to fit the Astrum PCBs. Because the Astrum's PCBs are modular, you can fit it into a bunch of different shells. You can move the scroll wheel, front buttons, sensor etc independently to make it fit.

So why did I say, no one has done it before? Because even though you can get some 3D printed community parts on Thingiverse for various mice, none of the companies made them for their mice. They let the community do it. Not that theres anything wrong with that, its just that its nice to offer some shapes to get people started. So there will be a website where you can download these shells, and other panels and so on. It takes a while to make a shell, but I'll keep on adding new ones, and there will be a community section as well, but the quality has to be high to get in, I want people to have a good experience with it.

I'll show an example of one of the shells you can download, this one weighs 63g, but it wasn't really designed to be the lightest. It was designed to be strong and simple, its designed specifically to be 3D printed, so its quite different in a few areas than an injection molded mouse (like there are areas where the plastic is quite thick). But if you wanted you could add holes to it and make it lighter.

I also didn't go crazy with the finishing, I just sanded it for about 30 mins and then painted it. It needed a little bit of adjusting but not too much. The clicks feel nice on it and its solid, I'm surprised how well they come out.

The dimensions of this mouse are: LxWxH 115x62x35.5 so its a pretty small mouse.

https://imgur.com/a/nfdE7HN

Last edited by bst; 07-05-2019 at 04:30 AM.
post #2168 of 2410 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

that 3d print looks awesome! I can see this really opening up the idea of people building around the PCB.
post #2169 of 2410 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:32 AM
Mouse Junkie

Rep: 36 (Unique: 33)
Really stoked about the 3D printability. Can't wait!

Logitech G PRO Wireless | Custom Huado Mousepad | Sharkoon PureWriter TKL Blue | HyperX Cloud
post #2170 of 2410 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

@bst do the dimensions of the mouse change?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in