New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells - Page 218 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells

post #2171 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 46)
The 3D printability is neat, hope that means we'll eventually see a "natural" G9X Precision Grip shape that doesn't actually involve having multiple shells and all that extra weight.

a_ak57
(20 items)
CPU
Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz
Motherboard
ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Professional
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
RAM
2x 4GB G. Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz DDR3
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate ST3000DM001
Hard Drive
Toshiba PH3500U-1I72
Optical Drive
Pioneer Blu-ray Drive BDC-207DBK
Power Supply
Cooler Master V850
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
NZXT H630 (matte black)
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit
Monitor
Dell U2713HM
Monitor
ASUS VG236H
Keyboard
Cooler Master Novatouch
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless
Mousepad
HyperX Fury S Speed Edition Large
Audio
Sennheiser HD800
Audio
Grace Design M9XX
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2172 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:58 PM
bst
Hardware Rep

Rep: 90 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by MentalOutOnline View Post
@bst do the dimensions of the mouse change?
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you mean the 3D file that mouse I posted was printed from, then no, it can't be changed in scale, not easily anyway, it pretty much has to be redesigned to change its scale, because all the things like screw holes, and wall thickness gets messed up when you scale it.

Its not something that's going to be extensive on day 1, it'll build up over time. So more sizes and shapes can be added later.

Quote: Originally Posted by a_ak57 View Post
The 3D printability is neat, hope that means we'll eventually see a "natural" G9X Precision Grip shape that doesn't actually involve having multiple shells and all that extra weight.
If you want a shape, the best thing to do is scan it with this program, and send the model to me (PM me a link to it):
If you have trouble scaling it, send me dimensions with it. But scaling it will help get the ball rolling. Meshlab can do it pretty easily, and maybe sketchup, but I haven't tried it with that.

I can't guarantee I'll make every shape, because it takes a while to make them, then test/prototype them and so on. Some shapes also just won't fit the PCBs, or are just so complex that its hard to simplify it to get a good result with the 3D print. But if I have the 3D scan then it makes it a lot easier.

I'm not going to outright copy mice, that's something more for the community, if they want an exact copy, they can get away with it But if someone sends me a shape they like, then I'll do it so its in the same kind of vein. Like the mouse I posted above is kind of like a Kinzu, its not a clone, but if you like the Kinzu you'd probably like it.
post #2173 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
@bst

That website idea sounds super exciting. I would love to get involved with that. Currently Im working on a G305 mod, the "G305 Ultralight"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2174 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Does this mean you can make a true ergo shape? That is when the left mouse button sits higher than the right button to create a slope.
post #2175 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:49 PM
bst
Hardware Rep

Quote: Originally Posted by p1r4nh4 View Post
@bst

That website idea sounds super exciting. I would love to get involved with that. Currently Im working on a G305 mod, the "G305 Ultralight"
Looks good, it'd be really great to have community designed shells.

The only thing is, they'll probably have to be on a different site, like thingiverse, just because hosting other people's designs can get complicated. I haven't used that site very much, but I guess I can just link to an #astrum tag and it'll work pretty well.

You will also be able to download the STEP files for the 3D printed shapes (the Ninox ones) so you can edit them, like if you wanted to put holes in the shell and so on. So in that case, they'll still be on a site like thingiverse, but tagged #astrum #model. So like that small mouse above, I was going to call it Spectre, I can put a link on its page to go to #astrum #spectre and it'll show all the community modifications for it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
Does this mean you can make a true ergo shape? That is when the left mouse button sits higher than the right button to create a slope.
Yes, there will be true ergo shapes.
post #2176 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
@bst

Afaik thingiverse also has groups. We could create an Astrum group.
post #2177 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:39 PM
bst
Hardware Rep

Quote: Originally Posted by p1r4nh4 View Post
@bst

Afaik thingiverse also has groups. We could create an Astrum group.
Ah that's cool, I'll check it out.

Btw, all your "s" letters are coming out as "s" (115 is the ascii code for "s"). https://snag.gy/mSW0kB.jpg
post #2178 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
maybe you @bst can make a CM Storm Spawn Shape Clone ( Xornet / Xornet II were a lil bit different too , but MM520 was huge different )
post #2179 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
THIS ^

post #2180 of 2411 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by bst View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Cryoxic View Post
Back on topic, will the firmware be open source?
Do you have the final samples yet? It's been three weeks, and I believe the ETA for them was 1-2 weeks.
If you do have them, how are they? Do any tweaks need to be made?
Finally, you said the secret feature would likely be revealed (or completed?) about a month after the update. Now that we're closer to that time, can we get a bit more information about it?
I'm not sure about the firmware. I think some tournament organisers worry about people being able to cheat with it, although, I don't actually know how you could cheat with it. But I don't personally mind it being open source. Its something I haven't really looked into yet. But it can always be changed at any time, even once people have the mouse, I can still publish the code. However I do think that there might not be much point in it, because I can always add requests to the code myself, and it keeps it official.

I don't have the samples yet, its still going to be a few days, because it took a while to get the firmware from my engineer, I have now ordered the programmed MCUs though. After they arrive, it should be ready to go.

The secret thing isn't really a huge secret, its something that people already knew could be done with the mouse. But probably not everyone knew the extent. What it basically is, is free shell designs you can use with the Astrum, not just panels, but full shells designed to fit the Astrum PCBs. Because the Astrum's PCBs are modular, you can fit it into a bunch of different shells. You can move the scroll wheel, front buttons, sensor etc independently to make it fit.

So why did I say, no one has done it before? Because even though you can get some 3D printed community parts on Thingiverse for various mice, none of the companies made them for their mice. They let the community do it. Not that theres anything wrong with that, its just that its nice to offer some shapes to get people started. So there will be a website where you can download these shells, and other panels and so on. It takes a while to make a shell, but I'll keep on adding new ones, and there will be a community section as well, but the quality has to be high to get in, I want people to have a good experience with it.

I'll show an example of one of the shells you can download, this one weighs 63g, but it wasn't really designed to be the lightest. It was designed to be strong and simple, its designed specifically to be 3D printed, so its quite different in a few areas than an injection molded mouse (like there are areas where the plastic is quite thick). But if you wanted you could add holes to it and make it lighter.

I also didn't go crazy with the finishing, I just sanded it for about 30 mins and then painted it. It needed a little bit of adjusting but not too much. The clicks feel nice on it and its solid, I'm surprised how well they come out.

The dimensions of this mouse are: LxWxH 115x62x35.5 so its a pretty small mouse.

https://imgur.com/a/nfdE7HN
Hmmmm... does this mean detachable cable too? I really wish all mice would have this feature. I really can’t see a reason not to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in