Overclock.net banner

New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells

669K views 3K replies 279 participants last post by  Avalar 
#1 ·
Good morning from germany
smile.gif

I opened FB today and saw something interesting, the Ninox Astrum:

From Ninox:
"Heres a little preview of the Ninox Astrum, showing how it can be configured. There are three main shapes: Alpha (aka Aurora), Beta, and Gamma. They each have optional side parts for no side buttons. The Astrum includes all of the shapes in the box. Let me know what you think! "

The beta shell catched my eye because it looks like a WMO with side-buttons <3 But let's see, the aurora was a little dissapointment, although I like the efforts from Ninox for a community driven mouse.

Update:

Here some more infos I got:

"Thanks
smile.gif
Sensor is 3360, I don't know the click latency yet, it'll either use the Venator PCB which has 4.5ms click latency, or a modified (more features) version of qsxcv's 3360 firmware, which may have lower latency (not fully tested yet)."

See less See more
#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTpr0F View Post

I hope there will be an improvement on the QC, because the Venator left much to be desired in that area.
That's an ODM product. The new design, if done correctly, will have less issues.

It's true that QC has to be monitored for every batch because Chinese factories will skip on the effort to save money.

#7 ·
I only imagine the amount of work to deliver proper quality with this one. There's cases when a company couldn't fix one shell or design (Razer's new Deathadders shells built worse than 3-3.5G era ones, Roccat's KPOE turned to be a bit worse than KPM while having the same shape, Zowie couln't fix their scroll wheels). Think what it'll take for a small company to prouce 3 proper shells plus attachments.

#11 ·
Here some more infos I got:

"Thanks
smile.gif
Sensor is 3360, I don't know the click latency yet, it'll either use the Venator PCB which has 4.5ms click latency, or a modified (more features) version of qsxcv's 3360 firmware, which may have lower latency (not fully tested yet)."

#14 ·
Like the alpha most although I wasn't totally satisfied with the original Aurora was hoping for a g1/100s shape felt the Aurora had too much of a booty can't really see it in these prototypes however

Would like:
- the sensor to be positioned marginally above halfway
- feet that span the width of the mouse (not 4 pod style feet in each corner)

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by P54J View Post

Make sure to include sensor position as another shape related info.
Sensor position is the same distance from the rear as the WMO. The front measurement is a bit longer though because the front buttons extend further. But the position relative to the rear is the most meaningful measurement IMO.

I will start a new thread for suggestions and feedback soon, where I'll reveal a lot more, and there will be some prizes
smile.gif
Maybe will be in about a week (I have to finalise things with admins here).

As far as quality goes, I've got a pretty comprehensive checklist of things to inspect. But also there will be a beta test, so the design will be improved if needed, and things to pay attention to on the production line will be added to the list.

However its not 100% certain its going to be made in China, it could be made in the UK (I know a good factory who can do it). I still have to compare the costs, though.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bst View Post

Sensor position is the same distance from the rear as the WMO. The front measurement is a bit longer though because the front buttons extend further. But the position relative to the rear is the most meaningful measurement IMO.
Okay, How does it compare to Venator? It has lower sensor position. Is Astrum going to have similar approach?

#20 ·
Where the G9-style shell at?

#21 ·
This looks lit, beta xx on that WMOish shape from bottom coming with 3360 and most importantly option for a shell that has no holes for side buttons on it is all a man could ask for. Just drop the ugly transformer logo and a possible DPI button and make it 70g like Aurora and there might be finally a reason to use something else than WMO.

#22 ·
Quote:

Astrum has a forward sensor position, so no its not like the venator.
Quote:

Sensor position is the same distance from the rear as the WMO. The front measurement is a bit longer though because the front buttons extend further. But the position relative to the rear is the most meaningful measurement IMO..
So again, an aurora/G1 like shape with a too high sensor position for fingertip or hybrid grip styles. Can't say im surprised. Unfortunate in this case, as i like the idea with the different shapes. Nothing wrong with that sensor position on well... wmo style shapes.

That's one of the very few things Logitech got right with the g pro. (unlike g100s or g3)

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_reptile View Post

So again, an aurora/G1 like shape with a too high sensor position for fingertip or hybrid grip styles. Can't say im surprised. Unfortunate in this case, as i like the idea with the different shapes. Nothing wrong with that sensor position on well... wmo style shapes.

That's one of the very few things Logitech got right with the g pro. (unlike g100s or g3)
Sorry, its hard to please everyone
frown.gif

But, if the weight comes out very low, then I might be able to add an adjustable sensor position
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.