New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells - Page 222 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells

post #2211 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:21 AM
bst
Hardware Rep

Rep: 90 (Unique: 50)
I think the language barrier is always an issue, if you do business in China. At some point someone won't speak English. A lot of engineers don't. Even if some do, not all do, so it'll always come to translating at some point. So generally even if it looks like everyone speaks English, I would always treat it like it'll need to be translated to someone, and that someone might be important.

My point of contact at the factory is very good at speaking English, most things are fine, really. But its just when you want to get a progress report, and you want to ask (or instruct) specific things, you have to put a lot of thought into how you ask it, and make sure you're very clear. Its not just the translation but its kind of like Chinese culture as well, the way they react to things is different than in the west. Like for example, if you asked someone to make "X" in the west, they'd probably ask you a bunch of questions to make sure they got it right, and they'd ask questions along the way. But in China, they'd (pretty much) just say, "Ok", and then fill in the gaps at their discretion. So the problem is usually, figuring out how to structure things so they cover everything, but aren't too complex.

The thing is with the factory is, I don't have any major issues with them, they're slow (actually its not the "mouse" factory, but the tooling factory which is slow), but I think most of the other problems or difficulties are very common, and like I said they can be so much worse, the mouse has gone well aside from the speed, nothing has actually come out badly. So I'm just thankful for that. There are better factories out there, of course, when it comes to pure ability. But there are lots of factors to consider. A lot of factories wouldn't want to get involved with this project, its too low volume, and its complicated, and the best factories have much more important customers even if you do get in.

If they can get the things sorted that I asked for, then it'll be fine. It's frustrating because the mouse is already good, just those little things holding it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2212 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:13 AM
News Fiend

That's just about the same story I've heard form every kickstarter type company that has to deal with tooling, molds, and factories. They do things you didn't ask for while not getting done what you wanted. They just don't do smaller precision orders in a timely fashion.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #2213 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Take your time, sort everything out, I'm sure we'd all rather wait a little longer for a mouse we can get excited aboout than get just another good one with some issues now.

Last edited by untouchable247; 08-05-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2214 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
good update, i had predicted september but im thinking november/december at the earliest now. not complaining, id rather quality then a rushed job. if the quality is there, ill probably grab a second after release
post #2215 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I feel you man.
Thanks for the needed update as tech customers we tend to take things for granted.

Why not solving the communication barrier by getting help from someone from the community??
If those factory guys could avoid dealing with the English COMPLETELY it can prevent them from doing freestyle changes & execute more carefully the requests.

With all that backstage info the project looks ambitious even for a big brand considering the quality requirements and technicalities.

Your insight on the process would make a great story for a video documentary btw. Some of the big names on Youtube should take the opportunity once the mice is launch.

It makes me realize why the big names are so hesitant implementing customer feedback, it might seems simple but can be a wild ride just for "small" changes.

Well, take the time but keep us on the light, community can be resourceful in unexpected ways.
post #2216 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:04 PM
bst
Hardware Rep

Quote: Originally Posted by ATH-YF View Post
I feel you man.
Thanks for the needed update as tech customers we tend to take things for granted.

Why not solving the communication barrier by getting help from someone from the community??
If those factory guys could avoid dealing with the English COMPLETELY it can prevent them from doing freestyle changes & execute more carefully the requests.
I don't really mind their freestyle changes, most of them are good. I do have to give them a certain amount of leeway, since they do this every day and know it much better than I do. If I try to take too much control, it can have bad results too.

If I had an engineer who could translate, it'd be much better. A lot of the problems come down to my point of contact not being able to understand the technicalities. She gets confused over engineering terms. So the engineers dumb things down for her, then she passes it onto me, and there's not enough detail. So I have to kind of squeeze the details out. Its not her fault really, she tries her best.

Quote: Originally Posted by ATH-YF View Post
With all that backstage info the project looks ambitious even for a big brand considering the quality requirements and technicalities.

Your insight on the process would make a great story for a video documentary btw. Some of the big names on Youtube should take the opportunity once the mice is launch.

It makes me realize why the big names are so hesitant implementing customer feedback, it might seems simple but can be a wild ride just for "small" changes.

Well, take the time but keep us on the light, community can be resourceful in unexpected ways.
Yeah, it is too ambitious really. I didn't realise at the time. I don't want to do another one like this, at least, not any time soon.

It would be cool to do a video explaining the whole process of making a mouse. I think people would be surprised how much can go into it.

Once you have a mouse working, and its all good, I think it is difficult to send it away to be changed, unless its a major issue. You might be getting people working on it who didn't work on it before, and don't know certain things. Or there might end up being some problem, or something that causes a huge delay. But really big companies can probably just make a new mold while the other one(s) are still running, I suppose it depends how well the mouse is selling, if they can justify it or not.
post #2217 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:12 PM
pez
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 633 (Unique: 488)
Quote: Originally Posted by bst View Post
*snip*
You mentioned it before, but what's the best way to change the address of the mouse shipment? Would an OCN PM work or would you like it another way? I've moved since backing and would like to at least make sure I get it to the right place .

>>>[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
Trndsttr
(17 items)
DooMSlayeR
(15 items)
OverCoaster
(14 items)
CPU
2700X [4.2GHz]
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero [WiFi AC]
GPU
Titan X Pascal [Hybrid]
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ 3600 [16GB]
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo [500GB]
Hard Drive
Mushkin Enhanced Reactor [1TB]
Power Supply
EVGA 550 G2
Cooling
Celcius S36 + F120MP
Case
Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional [x64]
Monitor
Acer Predator X34
Monitor
Dell E2417H
Keyboard
Razer Huntsman Elite
Mouse
Finalmouse UL Phantom
Mousepad
Razer Gigantus
Audio
Schiit Bifrost Uber + Schiit Asgard 2 + HEXv2/HD700
Audio
Razer Leviathan 5.1 Soundbar
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Strix B350-I
GPU
Sapphire Vega64
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 [16GB]
Hard Drive
Kingston A1000
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua L9a
Case
A4-SFX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro [x64]
Monitor
Sony X900E
Keyboard
Logitech K830
Audio
Sherwood RX-4109
Audio
Cerwin Vega D-3
Other
Xbox Elite Controller [White]
CPU
i7 7700K [4.7GHz]
Motherboard
ASUS Z270i STRIX
GPU
ASUS GTX 1070 FE
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3K [16GB]
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Savage [480GB]
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Corsair H75 + F120MP
Case
NCASE M1 [v5]
Operating System
Win 10 Pro [x64]
Monitor
Dell S2716DGR [144hz]
Keyboard
HHKB Pro v2 [White]
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
SS QcK Heavy
Audio
AudioQuest Dragonfly Black + Sennhesier HD650
▲ hide details ▲

post #2218 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:40 AM
bst
Hardware Rep

Quote: Originally Posted by pez View Post
You mentioned it before, but what's the best way to change the address of the mouse shipment? Would an OCN PM work or would you like it another way? I've moved since backing and would like to at least make sure I get it to the right place .
You can change your address by doing the following, the only thing you can't change is the country. If you need to change the country, pm me your new address.

Login to Indiegogo
Click on your name on the upper-right hand corner of the page
Click on 'My Contributions'
Find the perk you'd like to change your address on and click on 'View Contribution Details'
Click on the 'Edit Shipping Address' button on the left side of the contribution,
Complete the changes you need to make to the address, and be sure to click 'Save'
post #2219 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:47 PM
pez
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 633 (Unique: 488)
Quote: Originally Posted by bst View Post
You can change your address by doing the following, the only thing you can't change is the country. If you need to change the country, pm me your new address.

Login to Indiegogo
Click on your name on the upper-right hand corner of the page
Click on 'My Contributions'
Find the perk you'd like to change your address on and click on 'View Contribution Details'
Click on the 'Edit Shipping Address' button on the left side of the contribution,
Complete the changes you need to make to the address, and be sure to click 'Save'
Oh that was so easy I feel bad for asking now . Thanks for rewarding my laziness .

>>>[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
Trndsttr
(17 items)
DooMSlayeR
(15 items)
OverCoaster
(14 items)
CPU
2700X [4.2GHz]
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero [WiFi AC]
GPU
Titan X Pascal [Hybrid]
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ 3600 [16GB]
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo [500GB]
Hard Drive
Mushkin Enhanced Reactor [1TB]
Power Supply
EVGA 550 G2
Cooling
Celcius S36 + F120MP
Case
Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional [x64]
Monitor
Acer Predator X34
Monitor
Dell E2417H
Keyboard
Razer Huntsman Elite
Mouse
Finalmouse UL Phantom
Mousepad
Razer Gigantus
Audio
Schiit Bifrost Uber + Schiit Asgard 2 + HEXv2/HD700
Audio
Razer Leviathan 5.1 Soundbar
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Strix B350-I
GPU
Sapphire Vega64
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 [16GB]
Hard Drive
Kingston A1000
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua L9a
Case
A4-SFX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro [x64]
Monitor
Sony X900E
Keyboard
Logitech K830
Audio
Sherwood RX-4109
Audio
Cerwin Vega D-3
Other
Xbox Elite Controller [White]
CPU
i7 7700K [4.7GHz]
Motherboard
ASUS Z270i STRIX
GPU
ASUS GTX 1070 FE
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3K [16GB]
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Savage [480GB]
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Corsair H75 + F120MP
Case
NCASE M1 [v5]
Operating System
Win 10 Pro [x64]
Monitor
Dell S2716DGR [144hz]
Keyboard
HHKB Pro v2 [White]
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
SS QcK Heavy
Audio
AudioQuest Dragonfly Black + Sennhesier HD650
▲ hide details ▲

post #2220 of 2409 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I hate to bump the thread, but even if there's no update you can atleast notify us what's up and where the project is stuck.
I'd hate to see anyone who supported it in the hopes of getting it in time and probably already bought a new mouse by now have to just wait for even the smallest of updates.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in