New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells - Page 228 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New Ninox mouse "Ninox Astrum" - with swapable shells

post #2271 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:36 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 173 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by bst View Post
Thanks Elrick, they'll go straight to max gaming as soon as I receive them, I don't have an exact date for that yet, but as soon as I do I'll let you know.
There will always be a separate account kept for your Mouse Model purchases, here in Convict Town.

As long as I'm alive there will always be another added procession of Ninox mice, growing around our newly made PC setup's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2272 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:26 PM
lololol

Rep: 366 (Unique: 152)
The two issues I have are the adjustable sensor, looks like they didn't even touch it, and somehow the weight has gone up quite a lot (was 78g now 88g), but it could just be because they've adapted a finalmouse cable to it, they've extended it inside and its all bunched up, they also put 4 magnets in which it doesn't need.
it can't be that hard to figure out what made the difference...

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
post #2273 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 PM
bst
Hardware Rep

Rep: 90 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by SD2 View Post
I think that if you can, you should try to find where the extra weight comes from, as 78 grams would be way better than the 88 you'd have now. I think for marketing, or for a video of the astrum, you should also show the lightweight shell with holes in it and showcase it's low weight, because then it could ride the hype of lightweight mice a bit.
Also, if I'd 3d print a part for my astrum, I wouldn't have the original coating, so is there anything I could do to get the same coating on those parts too?
The coating is a bit tricky, but it mostly uses standard colour codes for car paint. So you can order cans of it from ebay, or take it to a paint shop and have them spray it (or they might also be able to supply you with a colour matched paint, or at least give you a paint code which is similar).

A lot of the colours are Audi colours, like Nardo Grey, Ara Blue, Glacier White, Panther Black (but most blacks or whites will work with these), the red is Alfa Romeo Rosso Competizione Tri-Coat, the green is a Rover colour, have to look it up (can't remember it off the top of my head). The only problem colour is the purple, that was colour matched from some vinyl I liked.

To get the matte effect, try and get some matte clear coat, and for extra matte effect spray a thin final coat from a further distance so it kind of dusts it, if the coat is really wet then it'll come out more glossy.

Quote: Originally Posted by charlieputh View Post
@bst

oh great what material should It get printed on for the best weight and feel?

thanks
I usually just go with ABS, but you could use resin which is usually more accurate and needs less finishing (sanding etc). There are some really nice printers coming out which make parts really cleanly. Its one of those things where it depends what you want from it. ABS is really tough and it behaves a lot like normal mouse plastic (since it's the same material), and it can be sanded down to a really smooth surface. Resin can be very different, some are not as rigid as ABS, but some are even more rigid (almost brittle). You can get very accurate prints with polyjet resin but its super expensive. Resin tends to be a little bit heavier than ABS, but not by much.

Quote: Originally Posted by qsxcv View Post
it can't be that hard to figure out what made the difference...
It looks like its coming from a lot of places, pretty much everywhere, unfortunately. Lots of little changes adding up.
- The PCB was redesigned, and this is the first time I've seen it. Its a much better PCB than the original, but it has added a fair bit of weight, due to it having full copper pours and lots of vias added, also the front connectors are more robust. The thing is I do like it, its a good PCB, I don't really want to change it
- The cable and magnets do weigh a bit
- There are also some areas where the plastic needed to be made thicker to reduce surface imperfections, but this has added some weight.

I am making a spreadsheet at the moment to see all the differences, but I think its going to be difficult to change it by much. I think probably the main factor is the adjustable sensor position, because it causes the PCB to be quite extensive, it could probably have been a fair bit lighter without that. It was ok at first, but after all the changes during tooling, the mouse really needed more wiggle room with its weight, which the adjustable sensor has taken, if that makes sense. But it does also mean that because the sensor is separate from the MCU PCB, the PCBs can be adapted to more shapes, so it does help out with modding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2274 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 PM
bst
Hardware Rep

I have talked to the factory about the sensor holder, on closer inspection they did adjust the tooling, but it wasn't enough to make it secure. As I suspected, they didn't understand how it was meant to work, so didn't want to potentially ruin the mouse by doing what I asked. I have now sent them some diagrams of how it's meant to work, and they understood. I wish they had just asked me about it, instead of coming to their own conclusion.

You can see the diagram I sent them in the attached file. They thought it went from step 1, straight to step 4 (so they were afraid it'd be stuck if the teeth were too large), and didn't know about steps 2 and 3. I had already explained this to them, but I guess they just didn't remember. I don't know how long it'll take them to do this, but since its just one small thing, hopefully it won't be long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190730_053152155.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	295754  

post #2275 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:53 PM
bst
Hardware Rep

The factory has changed the USB connector on the PCB to a non-standard size, its slightly smaller than the usual JST connector. They said they can't use the larger one because the SMT machine had trouble placing it.

The reason why is, its not like a normal mouse, the connector is underneath the top PCB, so if you can imagine, its quite hard to make a double sided PCB (components on both sides).

I can get them to include a spare connector in the box with the mouse, so you can adapt a paracable to it, but it might be a bit much for some people to deal with. I'm not very up to date on the paracord shops - is it usually a problem if the connector isn't the normal size, or do they make cords with different connectors?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190916_043157785.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	295770  

post #2276 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
I wouldn't sacrifice all the improvements you've made for a few grams of weight. If you can get it between 80-85g then that's still really really good.
post #2277 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:23 AM
don't mind me.

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
I can get them to include a spare connector in the box with the mouse, so you can adapt a paracable to it, but it might be a bit much for some people to deal with. I'm not very up to date on the paracord shops - is it usually a problem if the connector isn't the normal size, or do they make cords with different connectors?
I'd assume it wouldn't be much of a problem since they already have to stock different size connectors, the Rival 310 for example already uses a non standard JST 1.25 connector and some older mice use the 1.5 as opposed to the normal 2.0 so it wouldn't be the first to deviate from the standard size.
post #2278 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by iBerggman View Post
I'd assume it wouldn't be much of a problem since they already have to stock different size connectors, the Rival 310 for example already uses a non standard JST 1.25 connector and some older mice use the 1.5 as opposed to the normal 2.0 so it wouldn't be the first to deviate from the standard size.
not a biggie indeed, if you have a bare minimum of skill to unplug your cable, you should also be able to unplug those wires and put them in smaller connector
post #2279 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
I wouldn't sacrifice all the improvements you've made for a few grams of weight. If you can get it between 80-85g then that's still really really good.
I'm going to have to disagree with this, 80-85g isn't an acceptable weight nowadays. Also it was sold as a "below 80g regardless of the configuration" which is fair to assume the lightest configuration would be closer to 70 than it is to 80 but it doesn't look like that's the case anymore. I'm a fair bit disappointed to be honest especially since you won't be able to mod much weight out of it if you want to keep it functional.

On the topic of cables, I'm of the opinion that shoe lace cables are grossly overrated. Flexibility isn't the great feature that everyone makes out to be. You can really utilize a bit of rigidity to be able to shape to however you like and then it stays in place.
This way the cable doesn't swing left and right and the small bit of resistance is always consistent as opposed to all those shoe lace cables. G100s cable is far better than paracord if well utilized. The 2 biggest factors to truly make it feel wireless despite being wired is the thickness and weight, not flexibility.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uN9mfS5.png
Views:	27
Size:	473.3 KB
ID:	295790  

post #2280 of 2410 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
unfortunately that's not "really really good" considering how much the industry has improved in terms of weight.
if we ignore all of the finalmeme drilled mouse trend and we look at the latest light weight mice, you have:
gpro wireless at 78-80g, which is undeniably an incredible achievement.
aorus m2 at 78g
dm3 mini at 77g
xm1 endgame at 70g
razer viper at 69g

and the list goes on if you count all the 80-85g.
the whole point was a lightweight modular mouse, not just a modular mouse.
there's is only so much you can compromise with a kickstarter before it becomes a different project, considering the amount of time it actually took to get to this stage that the compromises are made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in