3360 BenQ Zowie EC-B series are announced! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3360 BenQ Zowie EC-B series are announced!

post #1 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Zowie has just announced that they are releasing the EC1-B and EC2-B with 3360 sensors! I can't wait to see how they perform!

Links:

https://m.facebook.com/ZOWIEbyBenQ/posts/10155064213153963

http://zowie.benq.com/en/news/2017/benq-announces-the-zowie-ec1-b-and-ec2-b-which-come-equipped-wit.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 AM
Mouse reviewer

Rep: 404 (Unique: 238)
Well if it's public already then I'm free to tell you that they are pretty damn good. They were also updated with new mouse feet (4 small ones that look and feel like hyperglides) and a separate polling rate switch button.

There is also an update to the infamous wheel bug, the new shell has a small plunger holding the wheel in place so there no more missed/ghost scrolls.

Only thing that irks me is that CPI steps are lower than proclaimed again (400 CPI is 380 on mine) but other than that everything is really upgraded. Even the side buttons are a bit nicer, but I need to do a side by side with the old design to figure out why. They still use the old lever click system, so don't expect too much of the side buttons still.

Something else that I appreciate: The complete top shell/bottom shell separation was also changed and the plungers for the main buttons changed. Now to open the shell (and exchange cable to take pictures or whatever you might want to do inside the mouse) you only need to remove one screw under the sticker, no need to remove mouse feet at all.

Those are some subtle changes that don't change the overall feel of the mouse but really improve it in the respective areas.
post #3 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 AM
Ex-resident Kinzu shill

Rep: 62 (Unique: 39)
Did they change the mouse coating to be less trash yet?

"Push your mouse to the limited with Overdrive. Legendary shape enhanced with premium martials."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Hype!!! I really hope the coating has changed aswell
post #5 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:36 AM
Mouse reviewer

No update to coating.

I'm going to stream with the EC-B a bit tonight if you're interested in any changes, probably around 8 pm CET.
post #6 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ino. View Post

Something else that I appreciate: To open the shell (and exchange cable to take pictures or whatever you might want to do inside the mouse) you only need to remove one screw under the sticker, no need to remove mouse feet at all.

Which also means you void the warranty I suppose.
I prefer it under the feet because warranty easier to claim.

If you poke a whole in the sticker then most would refuse warranty claim most likely.

Still the same useless 16-step scroll as well, no Idea how people can enjoy these, scrolling in windows etc is a pain with the slow 16-step.
You can increase scroll jump in windows, which also means more jerky scrolling, and does not apply to other things like games.

24-step, Separate buttons, Better sidebuttons (still bad design even if they "click" better in RJN video).
At least they are moving onto 3360, so that is 1 thing in the right direction.

The rest will most likely happen in 10 years so cya then Zowie biggrin.gif
post #7 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 88)
Quote:

No update to coating.
Yeah...figured. The regular (black) Zowie coating is soap bar city for me. Only the glossy is usable (RIP to the good ol' days of the "pop n drop shell swap"). Also, lol @ this coming right after the glossy ambi lines. Man, these guys cash out so ingeniously there should be a class on it.

"To give the gamer more control and command over so much power there is some sort of a smoothing agent incorporated on the mouse chip that gives that different feel, that edge, that authority over your shots."
post #8 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

No update to coating.

I'm going to stream with the EC-B a bit tonight if you're interested in any changes, probably around 8 pm CET.

The coating and buttons on their "old" series are the real downsides for me

post #9 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post

lol @ this coming right after the glossy ambi lines. Man, these guys cash out so ingeniously there should be a class on it.
Can't even disagree here.
post #10 of 1203 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Mouse reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivity View Post

Which also means you void the warranty I suppose.
I prefer it under the feet because warranty easier to claim.

If you poke a whole in the sticker then most would refuse warranty claim most likely.

Still the same useless 16-step scroll as well, no Idea how people can enjoy these, scrolling in windows etc is a pain with the slow 16-step.
You can increase scroll jump in windows, which also means more jerky scrolling, and does not apply to other things like games.

24-step, Separate buttons, Better sidebuttons (still bad design even if they "click" better in RJN video).
At least they are moving onto 3360, so that is 1 thing in the right direction.

The rest will most likely happen in 10 years so cya then Zowie biggrin.gif

Previously you had 4 screws, 2 under the sticker, 2 under the bottom foot. Now you can just punch through the sticker in the correct spot and not worry. Also you should still be able to claim warranty even with the mouse opened, as long as whatever you did was not the cause of the malfunction.
Some service reps might try to tell you otherwise but, at least here in Europe, you are protected by customer law.

As for the wheel I agree for Windows and browsing, however in game I really like the wheel.

And the sidebuttons are better, if I recall the old design correctly then they’ve reduced the length of the lever which should be the cause of better actuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeppi View Post

The coating and buttons on their "old" series are the real downsides for me

With the EC series and the black coating it’s always the first two minutes of using the mouse where it is slippery, but then with the tiniest bit of moisture I can grip them quite well. Also if I’m not mistaken the PCB dimensions and holes didn’t change, so you should be able to swap it into the glossy shells too if you have them.

I’ll try that tonight, unfortunately didn’t get to do much of anything since I got them because of work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in