Cougar Minos X5 button fix + adventure time! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Cougar Minos X5 button fix + adventure time!

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Was feeling a bit adventurous today so thought I'd solder in some new omrons and try and fix the loose left click on my Minos X5.

I had a bit of a rage 'slam' while gaming (iirc it was Doom) and totally destroyed my right omron click doh.gif but the left button was loose from the factory (should have RMA'd it...instead of playing Doom).

It was my first attempt at soldering in new omrons and all went fine until I decided to replace the 'good' left omron...because why not! When removing the left switch I had a bit of slag solder sitting on the pcb so I pulled it up with my fingers a little to quick and it was attached to the ground wire! Ripped the whole wire off mad.gif

So good news is...even though my left click doesn't work at all now...I did fix the left loose button pretty easily. So I thought I'd share if anyone has the same issue and can't be bothered with the whole RMA merry-go-round for a relatively cheap mouse. Maybe CougarGaming might see this too and get on to fixing this at the factory end.

Basically, after you open the shell and remove the LED logo lights 3 screws you will find the buttons are easily clicked out in one piece. There are 2 plastic lugs holding it in at the back and one on each buttons front. They are pretty solid and not broken easily so just ease them out with a screw driver tip.

Once it is out it looks like this

As you can see my left side button is hanging/warped much lower than the right

The easy fix since I already had the soldering iron out was to heat up the plastic just near left buttons join and bend it level with the right side button. Not sure but maybe heating up the plastic with a hair dryer might do the job too.

Now they are equal and feel pretty damn good..

...if only the left button would actually register...live and learn biggrin.gif

I have my Revenger S in the post and I suspect it will have the same button design. So hopefully I get a good one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 9)
I bet you haven't ripped the leg of the ic. if you had a good eye you could fix it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipetto View Post

I bet you haven't ripped the leg of the ic. if you had a good eye you could fix it.

I've been thinking of ways to fix it. The wire is hair thin and snapped 3/4 of the way along. Still have it sitting here. Thought about super gluing it back on the pcb and putting a spot of solder to reconnect it where it broke or just use a new piece of wire. I'll open back up again on the weekend and see what can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Hardware Rep

Dear DazzaInOz,

First of all, as a general recommendation, all COUGAR mouse (or products) that are not as you would expect from our brand (i.e. Perfect) should be addressed through technical service. Self-repairing, apart from voiding the warranty, can with some products such as PSU be extremely dangerous.

This being said, the situation shown in the photos is certainly not how a Minos X5 should be, and even though you voided the warranty with the DIY repair (hope you don't see us as too strict, but ripping apart the mouse and removing one of the OMRON switches is certainly a clear way of voiding the warranty wink.gif ) we just can't stand seeing somebody who trusted our brand being left without a good, working product, so please send us a PM and we'll send you a new Minos X5 at no cost for you.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi CougarGaming, I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers with my post. I should put a disclaimer that it would likely void the warranty to open the mouse, but I think most people here on overclock.net already know the consequences and just like to mod there favorite toys to make them even better or just see what makes them tick biggrin.gif

In my case, I felt the warranty was already voided, as I damaged the mouse through my own fault. So no loss in trying to fix it! Fixing the rattle was just an after thought, and since it was pretty easy thought I'd post it up. I think it's awesome and really appreciate that you are willing to send me a new mouse, thanks so much thumb.gif
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:16 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 179 (Unique: 93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarGaming View Post

Dear DazzaInOz,

we just can't stand seeing somebody who trusted our brand being left without a good, working product, so please send us a PM and we'll send you a new Minos X5 at no cost for you.

That is what EVERY mouse manufacturer should do without the customer needing to bring in Lawyers, to force you to act in a decent manner.

Also this is OCN, the home of "Overclocking (Modification) in the Pursuit of Performance", that includes everything listed on the front page of this forum thumb.gif .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in