"What DPI do you game at?" thread - Page 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

"What DPI do you game at?" thread

post #91 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by James N View Post
Only 1 way to find out.

Over the past years i have slowly gotten closer and closer to my optimal sensitivity. Coming from 4cm/360 (when i was new to fps games and wondering why my aim was garbage) , then going to 20cm/360 (noticing big improvements). Then getting addicted to lowering my sens and going overboard 100cm/360. Then back up to 60cm/360 (which i have used for a long time). Then up to 54cm/360, to 47cm/360, to 50cm/360 , to where i am at now 52cm/360 (which is what i consider my personal optimal sensitivity). Outside of this range 40cm-60cm/360 i perform not as good (so i picked the middle).

It is a long tedious process that has you second guess yourself several times, that also depends on your playstyle and games you play. Till you finally find your balance between being able to move without restrictions (higher sens) and being able to aim accurately (lower sens).

Once you finally have a sensitivity that you are happy with its important to not change it, even on bad days, where you are tempted to change it again.

There are a lot of good players that never ever change anything if they don't have to, so they keep using the same mouse, mousepad and sensitivity.
I've never been lower than 50/360. I am playing csgo and the main reason I was lowering my sensitivity was feeling that my aim was holding me back. But once the highest rank became easy - I stopped bothering with changing my sensitivity and stayed at 40/360. But sometimes I notice imperfections in my aim and wonder if it would be better if I changed my sensitivity, but I am too lazy to try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by James N View Post
Only 1 way to find out.

Over the past years i have slowly gotten closer and closer to my optimal sensitivity. Coming from 4cm/360 (when i was new to fps games and wondering why my aim was garbage) , then going to 20cm/360 (noticing big improvements). Then getting addicted to lowering my sens and going overboard 100cm/360. Then back up to 60cm/360 (which i have used for a long time). Then up to 54cm/360, to 47cm/360, to 50cm/360 , to where i am at now 52cm/360 (which is what i consider my personal optimal sensitivity). Outside of this range 40cm-60cm/360 i perform not as good (so i picked the middle).

It is a long tedious process that has you second guess yourself several times, that also depends on your playstyle and games you play. Till you finally find your balance between being able to move without restrictions (higher sens) and being able to aim accurately (lower sens).

Once you finally have a sensitivity that you are happy with its important to not change it, even on bad days, where you are tempted to change it again.

There are a lot of good players that never ever change anything if they don't have to, so they keep using the same mouse, mousepad and sensitivity.

Yeah it took me years as well. My usable range is 50cm-70cm so I too picked the middle and settled on 60cm
post #93 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
ObiwanShinobi

So honestly, 3000 dpi isn't event enough for me anymore now that I got used to 4800 DPI. literally feels slow and laggy. I don't understand this one bit because I use lower sensitivity with controllers because my wrist control is about 100 times more accurate than my thumb control I guess. I think I might RMA my Gskill mouse because either my mobo is broken or my mouse it. Every mouse with onboard memory should remember what color it's supposed to be and mine went from going first white while booting to off, and now it's going to red after it boots. I just want a white LED in my mouse and keyboard and this is going to force me to waste more money on hardware I don't even want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
ObiwanShinobi

I'm curious at how my DPI will change when I get a better mouse lol this one is making me pretty mad so I'm looking for one with 1:1 mapping on the cursor I will get a deal second hand online locally most likely. already sunk more than I needed in this PoS lol 8200 dpi sensor obviously won't tell the whole story.

Any good suggestions with sensors that don't ever act up even at the highest amount of g force would be appreciated!
post #95 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Cool

Currently enjoying 1440P on my 1080P Philips 284E monitor courtesy of AMD's VSR tech.

Daily Gamer
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
GPU
R9 Nano
RAM
Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
Silverstone Strider Titanium Series ST60F-TI
Cooling
Coolermaster MA620P
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
Philips 284E MVA
Keyboard
Razer blackwidow ultimate stealth
Audio
Razer Tiamat 7.1 headphones.
▲ hide details ▲
post #96 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:28 AM
12 yr olds username

I play on 1440p at 120hz. I use 400dpi for everything, no acceleration, stock windows sens.

Most games i have set to 1.0 sense.

It is 50 - 60cm for me to do a 180.

This is how i played through all my professional years.

I have been using a modified, overclocked, microsoft intellimouse 3.0 for well over a decade.
post #97 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowhawxatron View Post
I play on 1440p at 120hz. I use 400dpi for everything, no acceleration, stock windows sens.

Most games i have set to 1.0 sense.

It is 50 - 60cm for me to do a 180.

This is how i played through all my professional years.

I have been using a modified, overclocked, microsoft intellimouse 3.0 for well over a decade.

Wow! Does it have a different sensor in it? I use to just about handle 30cm/360 on the 3.0 but 120cm/360 would be impossible for me.
post #98 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:14 PM
12 yr olds username

Standard sensor, using 1000hz polling rate. Considered changing sensor, maybe the newer 3.0.
Replaced cable setup two times, feet every 12 months or more sometimes, using mousewheel assembly out of a logitech g500, and in general always servicing it.
Took some weight out too, but so long ago i forgot what it was.
Tried various switches too for mouse buttons, pretty sure the ones i left in arent the stock ones, they're pretty chopped and shaved up.
post #99 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Mehehe!

Rep: 86 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by Melan View Post
Having decent input control never was a thing outside of idTech/Source powered games imho.
Pretty much.

Unreal engine derivatives are usually messed up but it was worse during the "golden console age". The amount of ini tweaks I had to do to get Mass Effect 2 not simply annoy the hell out of me was extreme and that was just for a bloody SP 3rd person campaign :x .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in