MX518 with hero sensor - Page 65 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MX518 with hero sensor

post #641 of 651 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by AuraDesruu View Post
Is that the thing that is sticking out of the mouse or the pins?
the plug on the mouse end of the cable, the white housing has a catch for each crimp where you can see metal through the side of the connector. you can pry that back with a razor blade and take the crimps out, then put them back in in a different order. Though be careful, because it can be easy to tear the wire off of the crimp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #642 of 651 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Bought it out of curiosity. For the record, I never used the MX518 back in the day and therefor it took me 2 hours to get used to the ledge on the right (1-3-1 just doesn't feel right to me), but now it doesn't bother me anymore. But as soon I went ingame, I noticed the insane performance. I'm not sure if it's the hero sensor, shape or click latency, but this mouse owns in CS:GO. Making small adjustments when aiming was never easier before. I compared the mx518 and g403(non-hero) multiple times and it felt like the g403 had way higher physical click latency for some reason (hard buttons, idk). The mx518 also gives me more control without the dumb g403 hump and feels rather light for the proclaimed weight. Sure, the mouse wheel, cable and silver material top could be better, but that's a trade off I gladly make. I can only recommend this mouse for competitive FPS accuracy freaks.
post #643 of 651 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by genbarrison View Post
Bought it out of curiosity. For the record, I never used the MX518 back in the day and therefor it took me 2 hours to get used to the ledge on the right (1-3-1 just doesn't feel right to me), but now it doesn't bother me anymore. But as soon I went ingame, I noticed the insane performance. I'm not sure if it's the hero sensor, shape or click latency, but this mouse owns in CS:GO. Making small adjustments when aiming was never easier before. I compared the mx518 and g403(non-hero) multiple times and it felt like the g403 had way higher physical click latency for some reason (hard buttons, idk). The mx518 also gives me more control without the dumb g403 hump and feels rather light for the proclaimed weight. Sure, the mouse wheel, cable and silver material top could be better, but that's a trade off I gladly make. I can only recommend this mouse for competitive FPS accuracy freaks.
nice to hear someone else discovering this mouse.
I'll post up some more pictures of my newly paracorded and slightly more weight reduced version tomorrow.

Last edited by blakkpatron; 06-26-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #644 of 651 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Ended up ditching my MX518 legendary, to many issues, some small and can be fixed, others not that easy. Buttons to stiff, DPI levels are off compared to other mice, sensor fealing weird, hyperglides dont fit in height etc etc. As i said some of them are pretty easy to fix. After having owned all mice with this shape for god knows how long, mx500-510-518 G400-400S and now the MX518L. Going to step back to the G400s for now and try out glorious model o and maybe the latest zowie EC batch again.

Its just going to be my opinion, but i dont think logitech did that good of a job on the legendary, main reason being the buttons are way to stiff even after being worn in, the D2FC-7N 20m used in this mouse isnt what they used to be.
post #645 of 651 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Hi ppl. Some days ago I tried to do a fix to my old MX518 and ended killing it after a really long time of good service. I was never a big fan of it's design and changed my mice many times but always ended going back to the MX518 after a while due to different reasons and the MX518 was always there working fine. In fact it was "dead" once but I had a bad MX300, opened both and changed cables, so the MX518 was back with the MX300 cable. But after my bad fix some days ago, I really killed it.

I had many other over the time, like MSIE 3.0, MX300, G300, G303, G102/203, G402, G600, G9X, G403, SS Rival 300, Cougar models, etc. But since I'm in another country now, I brought only the one I could really trust, the MX518, so when it died, I had no mouse to use.

After a little research I decided to buy the Glorious Model O at a local shop nearby just because it would be grab and go, no shipping wait, and it was the only decent mouse available around. I expected it to be a bad design for me but in fact it's worst, it's unusable because I can't find a grip. So I used a 3M Dual Lock tape to create a grip and was using it "fine" for a few days. Looks funny but works and the mouse is really, really good. I am still amazed about it's sensor being so responsive compared to what I was used, the MX518. It's much snappier, and I'm a flick/drag shot player using mostly snipers, so I felt instantly what I was missing with the original MX518. Once I could hold the mouse almost properly, the tracking was a night and day difference for me, something I felt before when I first tried the G303 after using for years MX300/MX518/G9X/G402 but I wasn't remembering because now I was using only the MX518 for the last 2 years. And yes, the difference is huge. Glorious Model O tracking just feels right.

But I wasn't happy with the grip and my solution with it, so I decided to find something else. I could find the new MX518 Legendary used like new from a local ad and the guy was selling old stock Func mousepads too. Since I loved the 1030 backthen in CS competition between 2001 and 2002 and I wanted the rough surface again, I made an offer and could grab the MX518L and the Func F-Series F30.R.

Considerations about the MX518L:
- It's the exact same design, even the QC problems are the same;
- My right click and side buttons have some pre travel, somewhat annoing;
- Wheel is the exactly same, it misses some clicks but will last forever so it's ok;
- DPI+ button is ok, but DPI- and the shift button are really bad. I had these 3 removed from my previous MX518 since they were useless for me and may do the same here;
- Cable is good, but now with a stress relief, so that's better;
- The 3 mousefeet design is somewhat wobbly, my original MX518 was the 5 little feet design and it's perfect, stable and still glides amazingly. I never changed the feet;
- The 5 mousefeet design seems to be better for me, and it wasn't required to destroy/remove the mousefeet to open the mouse;
- Logitech software was used just to set the settings to the internal mem and was uninstalled not to be installed ever again;
- The overall feel of this new MX518L is somewhat hollow, I feel like my original was "firmer" overall, but I opened it many times, fixed all the button pre travels and removed completely the dpi buttons and their mechanism.

But the tracking felt strange, I don't know why. I played some matches and after a while I was feeling like it wasn't with me, but "behind" my movement, like if it was a little, very little, but still, delayed. I was puzzled about this and did some research to find most reviews praising the Hero sensor. But here I read posts saying the DPI wasn't correct. So I've set the DPI from 800 to 850 and tried again. I believe that making it this little faster improved my sensation, but still, I think it's not with me, but behind me, very little delayed compared to my movement. It's tracking perfectly, it does what it should do, but it feels like it does after me, not with me, not real time. So after 2 days playing only with the MX518L I decided to try again the Model O (set to 800dpi) and yes, it felt snappier even being a little slower due to the lower dpi. But it feels like it's ready, snap, real time. My MX518L somehow doesn't. I remember I immediately loved how the G303 tracking felt besides the grip, but not the MX518L even having the best grip.

So, my questions are, if anyone bothers to help:
- Am I crazy or the Hero sensor isn't on par with the 3360 sensor?
- Would the Nixeus Revel Fit be a better choice compared to the MX518L or it's 3360 implementation (or anything else) is bad?
- Are the MX518L internals compatible with the old shell? If I could get rid of the wobbliness it would be great already.

Thanks in advance for any help?
post #646 of 651 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:23 PM
Mouse addict

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Nixeus Revel Fit has the same internals as the regular Revel w/ the latest firmware, so it's a standard 3360 w/o any issues worth mentioning (Holtek MCU however).

Mice currently owned: Logitech G402/G403/G303/G Pro, Zowie FK1/EC2-A/EC2-B/ZA12, Razer Deathadder 2013/Basilisk, Cooler Master Mastermouse S/MM530/MM520, Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye, Dream Machines DM1 Pro S/FPS/DM3 mini, EVGA Torq X3/X5, Ninox Venator, HP Omen 600, Thermaltake Ventus X RGB Optical/Ventus R, Microsoft WMO, Steelseries Rival 310, Nixeus Revel, Ozone Neon M50

Looking to buy and try: Ninox Astrum
post #647 of 651 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

i just got a 518l and it's fine coming from a 518/g5/g400s as my mains
post #648 of 651 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
I do very well with this mouse.
Still feels like my g400 with the old 5 tiny mousefeet glides much better.

Just not sure how to mod them on this one.
post #649 of 651 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 06:27 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 173 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by CrackerJoe View Post
the D2FC-7N 20m used in this mouse isnt what they used to be.
Think they are Made in China now compared to the original's, that were Japanese Made.

Very BIG difference in feel and durability despite using the very same Model Number.
post #650 of 651 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 06:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
That “C“ stands for China

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in