3366 mice have different framerates: maximums are either ~8500 or ~11500 - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3366 mice have different framerates: maximums are either ~8500 or ~11500

post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
lololol

Rep: 369 (Unique: 152)
more puzzles...
i found that i wrote this in one of my emails in 2016:
Quote:
I'm even more confused. when I load srom 0x08 on the g502 board, the framerates are all too low (by ~30%). no idea what's going on there. I took srom 0x08 from a g303, which was for sure getting normal framerates.
and, 30% is roughly the difference between 8500 and 11500

3 possibilities:
hardware differences between different 3366s
there's some register that controls framerate?
srom differences + me not being careful?

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
@qsxcv
I decided to use my G303 again and noticed immediately that it felt much sharper than the G Pro. I know you said you couldn't tell the difference but I'm just curious now why both mice feel so different to me, could it really just be the shape of the mice causing this?
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
lololol

Quote: Originally Posted by qsxcv View Post
there's some register that controls framerate?
just got a cheapo logic analyzer to look at the power on procedure of my g pro (3366), which runs at ~8500 max framerate.

clock tuning:
registers 0x3d and 0x4f control the clock frequency of the sensor in run and rest mode, respectively
toggling on the msb of one of the registers (e.g. writing 0x96) causes the 3366's pin 14 to output a square wave with frequency related to the bottom 5,6,or 7 (not sure) bits of the register (see second sheet of the google doc above). the g502 adjusts the value of the register until the square wave frequency is as close to 1000hz as possible. usually the adjustment is quite coarse and the final values are off by 20hz or so. to disable the square wave toggle off the msb of whichever register had it on. changing the register's lower bits while the msb is 0 doesn't do anything.
instead of 1kHz, it targets 700Hz (logitech why...???)
i think all the clocks in the sensor scale proportionally, and indeed 70% is close to the ratio in the title 8500/11500.

semi-related but posting here for reference: strictly speaking 3389's max framerate (~15000 or so) is higher than 3360/3366's. i checked on scope attached led pin. but for whatever reason, in the highest framerate mode, the data registers update only every other frame, so as far as mousetester plots are concerned, it appears as ~7500.

i suspect 3310 does something similar. can't be bother to check right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:48 AM
Mouse addict

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
but for whatever reason, in the highest framerate mode, the data registers update only every other frame, so as far as mousetester plots are concerned, it appears as ~7500.

i suspect 3310 does something similar. can't be bother to check right now.
Does this only apply for the highest framerate mode? In practice, what would the difference between a frame rate of 15000 with the data registers being updated every other frame and a frame rate of 7500 with the data registers being updated every frame be?

Mice currently owned: Logitech G402/G403/G303/G Pro, Zowie FK1/EC2-A/EC2-B/ZA12, Razer Deathadder 2013/Basilisk, Cooler Master Mastermouse S/MM530/MM520, Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye, Dream Machines DM1 Pro S/FPS/DM3 mini, EVGA Torq X3/X5, Ninox Venator, HP Omen 600, Thermaltake Ventus X RGB Optical/Ventus R, Microsoft WMO, Steelseries Rival 310, Nixeus Revel, Ozone Neon M50

Looking to buy and try: Ninox Astrum
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by cdcd View Post
Does this only apply for the highest framerate mode? In practice, what would the difference between a frame rate of 15000 with the data registers being updated every other frame and a frame rate of 7500 with the data registers being updated every frame be?
Physical speed of the mouse across the pad can be higher with a higher framerate, because there will be more overlap of the image taken by the sensor compared to the previous image.

Though "data registers" is ambiguous. If you're talking about the registers the MCU reads from that's one thing, but if you're talking about the registers the image data is stored or processed in, that's effectively the same thing as reducing framerate.

Last edited by TranquilTempest; 10-29-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:37 AM
Not a Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 41 (Unique: 32)
Could the reason for the 70% clock simply be stability? I plotted my g303 the other day and it gives different plots every time. Kinda like the early fw g403 and the revel too actually.

"a bad joint can't be that bad right?" -q
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
lololol

tranquil: yea sorry i mean like counts registers (from which the mcu reads via spi), not the raw data.

the1: i doubt it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in