Tutorial: G305 button cell battery (weight reduction to 69g) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Tutorial: G305 button cell battery (weight reduction to 69g)

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
I'd would be a significant mod, yes. and honestly I have no idea whether it would work with G Powerplay.

But getting it to work in a specific "parking" spot on the mouse mat would be relatively easy.

You'd need a:

Lithium battery:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33018052683.html

Charging module:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835132061.html

Charging coil for the mouse:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852366953.html

buck converter(to lower the voltage to 1.5v for the mouse):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32725312642.html

Finally any mousemat of your choice with qi wireless charging build in.
Thanks so much. What I was really asking is - is it possible to replace the G305 battery with a capacitor and rely on a charging mat? Or it's not a simple process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:52 AM
Meep

Rep: 297 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by dahomosapien View Post
Thanks so much. What I was really asking is - is it possible to replace the G305 battery with a capacitor and rely on a charging mat? Or it's not a simple process?
Seems like the powerplay mat works at a different frequency than qi coils. So it won't work with those. So you either need to rip the receiver out of an actual an actual powerplay mouse or make your own, which would be anything but simple.

There's a large passive wireless power surface made by power republic meant for small LED's t, that should work with just about any decent coil. But from what I've seen they're not cheap nor do I have a clue where to even buy them. You're probably better off just buying an actual powerplay mouse at that point.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
@Gilles3000 I started 3D printing shells for the G305 and that would be sick to charge the battery like that. Do you think I could go even further and give power to the mouse by induction to completely get rid of a battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by p1r4nh4 View Post
@Gilles3000 I started 3D printing shells for the G305 and that would be sick to charge the battery like that. Do you think I could go even further and give power to the mouse by induction to completely get rid of a battery?
Yeah man - this is the ultimate question. If it's possible without an overly difficult level of effort, then I'll be onto that straight away.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Meep

Rep: 297 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by p1r4nh4 View Post
Full pad induction would require at least a capacitor. And a matched induction pad and receiver.

There is some induction stuff for led's (both off the shelf and diy) that could work, but I'm not sure how well it would scale to the size of a decent mousepad.

The diy stuff seems cheap enough to give a shot, but the big off the shelf induction surfaces all seem quite expensive.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 330 (Unique: 237)
Quote: Originally Posted by dahomosapien View Post
i would love to do this, but I have no idea how. Are you able to refer me to a link? Would it damage the mouse, considering that the G305 does not have POWERPLAY?

Really excited to hear your response. Thank you
You can convert phones to wireless charging, it's all the same thing, wireless charging is nothing more than 2 coils transferring electricity wirelessly. Considering bottom of most mice is plastic you don't have to cut the bottom either unlike metal phones that need to have the place/part under coil swapped to plastic. There are endless small batteries on hobby sites such as hobbyking.

I see others linked some similar chargers to what I saw. But in a larger more standalone package.

You don't need a 24/7 charging, you can do a parking spot under your mat for the night, etc. What to keep in mind is how the charging will affect rest of the device.

If you can charge on whole pad and enough while in use, then yes you could potentially only use a large capacitor but then batteries aren't that much heavier either and often smaller at higher capacity. Capacitors are good for high currents. Batteries for low currents and storage, which is what you need.

Last edited by JackCY; 06-19-2019 at 11:12 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Which battery holder should i buy for this? any cr2032 holder can work with it? I cannot find holder for lr44 in my town.
Can you suggest me any of these?

https://www.birikimpilleri.net/pil-g...pil-yuvasi?p=2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in