Choosing the Naos successor - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Choosing the Naos successor

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by Klopfer View Post
and of course a good custom paracord would be fit on a Naos QG too , the Cables Mionix uses arent also rly good
thats the Problem if you ever used a good paracord cable , all stock cables feels bad , the "good" ones too
I'm not that fussy as I am with colors.
Indeed my naos 5000 has a very good braided cable which is flexible but not too much and never interferes with my gaming.

Still thinking about weight I am afraid 10g less will make me lift the mouse even more, which is the cause of all issues I'm currently having with the Naos.
I haven't made a decision yet, but I have soon before the 30d return period expires on my mat - need to know if it is IT the culprit or the mouse sensor.

new rig 2019:
Intel 9900k >5ghz | Asus Maximus XI Gene | Eisbaer 360 LT (custom loop in progress) | bequiet! Dark Base 700 white edition | Team group Nighthawk 16GB 4000mhz | MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Storage: Intel Optane 900p 280GB + Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB + WD Red 3TB | Corsair HX850i | Benq BL3200PT 1440p | 1Gbit ftth |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update: I have decided to try a different shape, mainly for one reason: the Naos is too narrow to rest my pinky - it works only with a palm grip, and I dont seem to use palm/claw anymore I'm more of a claw/finger now.
I'm digging some literature to select alternatives to the Rival 600, which seems a bit LONG (1).

Here's my data:
7.5 hand size (17x9 cm - a bit larger wrt length that's why I prefer larger mice and find even the Naos narrow)
claw/finger grip
Games: ARPG, MMO - everything else won't remotely tire my hands. Do not care extra buttons.

Mouse characteristics (in decreasing priority order):
Sensor: SOTA sensor with no drift when mouse is raised AND moved at the same time (this is the issue I'm having right now) (2).
Shape: dextrous, quite SHORT, but as LARGE as possible, Smooth contour (no sharp angles à la Roccat).
Weight: between 80g and 100g.
Soft scrollwheel (no hard plastic) - this is a must.
Currently using 4200 dpi vertical 4600 horizontal and slight acceleration. 3200 dpi may not be enough and I prefer to be able to set vertical and horizontal dpi separately. Dpi settings in software then stored on mouse.
Capable of 1:2 tracking reliably. Mice claiming 1:1 hopefully will work with a different magnification hopefully.
No extra buttons that could NOT be disabled. I never change dpi settings on the fly and hate if that happens accidentally.
Surface: shiny plastic with side silicon would be best. No rubber coating everywhere that gets ugly in 6 months.
Omron switches preferably.
Don't care for lighting but don't want any colors other than black, grey and white (in extreme case i could have it modded).

Lastly, No set budget, but I'll try cheaper mice first. The Logitech G PRO will have to wait.

__
(1) The LENGHT of the Naos is perfect, width on the top part should be at least 1cm more to be perfect. IIRC the mx1000 was a bit larger.
(2)Looks like Hero, pixart 3360 are current bests.

new rig 2019:
Intel 9900k >5ghz | Asus Maximus XI Gene | Eisbaer 360 LT (custom loop in progress) | bequiet! Dark Base 700 white edition | Team group Nighthawk 16GB 4000mhz | MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Storage: Intel Optane 900p 280GB + Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB + WD Red 3TB | Corsair HX850i | Benq BL3200PT 1440p | 1Gbit ftth |

Last edited by Telstar; 02-24-2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added precise hand size
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Allright, I spent all evening digging mice (ahem…) and made a shortlist of what I wanna try:

1) Cooler Master MM520 - It seems to have the perfect shape for me (shorter but not narrower than the naos), while keeping the ring finger rest. I will remove the preinstalled weight. Currently super cheap in my Country, so I'll order it tomorrow.
2) Cougar Minos X5 - Very wide front, perfect for 3 fingers rest, therefore ideal when browsing, which I do for hours daily. Could be my work mouse if I can do without ring/pinky rest. A bit hard to find, with average price (around 50€) and no free return. I wanted to try this shape first, but for security i'll go with the MM520 instead.
3) Roccat Kone Owl Eye white - great looks, interesting shape, good build quality and software. The only one available in white, which matches best with my setup. No idea if I would like it or not.
4) Dream Machine DM2 comfy S - If nothing else makes me forget the ikari/naos shape (but I'm optimistic on the CM)

new rig 2019:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

As per my plan, I got the MM520. Here is my feedback after a few hours of usage:

Pros:
-First and foremost, no tracking issue on my metal pad. The 3360 sensor is the only one I will get. I can safely keep my Enhance pad now.
-I like the rough plastic finish, it should last longer than rubber.
-Nice RGB effect, unfortunately not controllable with aura sync, I had to set it individually, but at least it doesn't conflict.
-The M1 and M2 buttons seem good.
-Side buttons are REALLY pleasant, they provide more feedback than those of the Naos.

Cons:
-The pinky position is not comfortable IF i put the finger too far. I'll keep using it for a few days and see what's the definitive outcome.
-The scrollwheel is noisy, especially on the up direction. I can hear it with headphones on.
-Rather stiff rubber cord (not sleeved). It matches the mouse weight, which is not a problem at all on this size (unlike on the bigger Naos) and prevent auto-gliding. It will need a cord hanger.

Not sure if I will keep it, it seems to tire my pinky when browsing, when gaming without wheel is probably perfect. At the price I got it, I could just keep it as reserve or gaming mouse. Will need to test in games.

new rig 2019:

Last edited by Telstar; 02-28-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more details as long as I keep using it
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:30 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rep: 43 (Unique: 35)
if you end up trying another mouse after the MM520, I would suggest the DM2 instead of the Kone or Minos. Makes more sense to me to save time by going for something more familiar.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well the point is exactly to try different shapes that should still suit me. The naos QG or the equivalent from demream machines are safe bets.

The Kone will be next, as sold directly by Amazon. I’m very curous to try it.

The mm520 is a keeper for now unless I manifest some pain in the pinky. Using at the default 2000dpi, feels similar to the naos 5000 at 4000dpi, merit of this new sensor, really awesome.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

No pain whatsoever, but the pinky support isn't the most ergonomic. The biggest plus of this mouse is the size that matches my hand very well.
Then today I get to try three different mice loaned from a friend, which are the following:
Logitech MX518
Corsair Ironclaw
Razer Basilisk

and the Basilisk surprises me! The thumb rest is awesome and the right shape fits my ring and pinky fingers very well too.
Pros: Buttons seem of a better quality than my cooler master, the cable is NOT stiff, lights are brighter (30%=MM520 100%)
Cons: it's a little TALL and heavy. 1cm less length and height would have made it perfect. I do not feel much the weight issue thanks to my smooth pad, but the height shows a design for slightly bigger hands and unlike the Naos I cannot use it palm grip.
I'm going to use this for a few days and on Monday if it doesn't cause fatigue, i'll order one new for me. It is 60€, so I have to be sure.

Anyway I'm keeping the MM520, it was an excellent price and it is very comfortable even with the misplaced pinky notch.

new rig 2019:
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

After using my loan sample for 3 days, I bought a Basilisk new for 49€.
I decided not to get the other 2 in the list. Will keep the MM520 and the Basilisk, one for gaming and one for browsing. The weight does not bother me because the skates are very good (no need to change unlike on the cooler master).
I could eventually get a new Naos or the DreamMachines equivalent.

This until Glorious or someone else with a good reputation releases something new that would fit my hand better (like a smaller shorter Basilisk).

new rig 2019:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in