How I make 100 teflon mouse feet for 10 bucks - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How I make 100 teflon mouse feet for 10 bucks

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
How I make 100 teflon mouse feet for 10 bucks

Hi there!

I usually hang out at /r/mousereview but this community seems nice too! Now to my way of making mouse feet and save money because I dont have to buy hyperglides every time I buy a new mouse.

The tool I use is a 8mm hole punch like this: Example amazon link

I find using 0.5mm teflon sheet works best. You have to be careful with the sensor height since changing that also changes the CPI. Thats the reason you should never remove the mouse foot - circle.Example link to ebay

In the past I used normal double sided tape but I found its not strong enough so I switched to using mounting tape. Like this

Dont do it like me and forget to put the tape un der the teflon sheet first. Then punch it out using a hammer.

To make the edges a bit rounder and the feet less scratchy, I put 1000 grit sandpaper on a towel and swipe my mouse over it in circles. This method allows the feet to sink in a bit so that the sandpaper gets to the edges.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 76 (Unique: 63)
Neat. I'll have to give this a try on my old Logi G5.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
You can buy ptfe or UHMW tape with the adhesive already applied. As for the sandpaper, I'd suggest doing that on top of a soft mousepad, so you get a flatter surface than a towel, but still soft enough to round over the edges a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by TranquilTempest View Post
You can buy ptfe or UHMW tape with the adhesive already applied. As for the sandpaper, I'd suggest doing that on top of a soft mousepad, so you get a flatter surface than a towel, but still soft enough to round over the edges a bit.

The problem with PTFE tape sometimes is that its too rough or too thin. If its too thin the distance from mousepad to sensor changes, which increases/decreases the CPI
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:26 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 521 (Unique: 328)
Quote: Originally Posted by p1r4nh4 View Post
The problem with PTFE tape sometimes is that its too rough or too thin. If its too thin the distance from mousepad to sensor changes, which increases/decreases the CPI
I use the tape over the original mouse feet to prolong their life. I haven't had a problem with the tape being too rough.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 27)
I'd use PTFE tape too, if I didn't think it would be a hassle. Sure it's cheap, and you can replace the tape with new tape often because you have so much, but you have to worry about other stuff, too. Finding "tape" that's hard enough so that it doesn't bend, a thin but effective adhesive (if it doesn't already come with one), punching out the same shape every time, rounding the edges without cutting into the feet, sanding down the bottom of mice, thickness, the list goes on.

If I was gonna put custom feet on my mice, I'd want something with a bigger surface area than a hole punch; no less than the G Pro Wired feet. Thickness would have to be at least 0.8-1.0mm, and the edges would have to be beveled (most important part). Don't know how I would do that.

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in