Progress on a fully custom mouse. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Progress on a fully custom mouse.

post #11 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
That would be too invasive of a mod imo. it's fine if you are doing a whole pcb. I don't think zowies double click anyway due to the 5.6k mcu pullup in the Cypress line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 30)
Good start. Very nice if you could get vacuforming / deep drawing to work reliably and cheaper than 3D printing.

post #13 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 PM
lololol

Rep: 365 (Unique: 152)
Quote: Originally Posted by gipetto View Post
I don't see any spi level converters. Are you going the voltage divider route, then running the mcu at 3.3v and hope the mcu sees the low voltage from the 3360? I once made a shell myself by using a blowlamp to melt perspex over another mouse, then a towel to press it down around it.
3360 datasheet recommends vddio between 1.8 and 3.6 so 3.3v is totally fine...

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

It's a good tradeoff tbh, One voltage regulator taking the place of 4-5 level converters. I hope it works without issue. two external pullups for the wheel encoder would reduce bounce also.
post #15 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

@TranquilTempest do you happen to have the ec10 footprint to share? I have a similar project on the go. I doubt i'll ever finish it though, as kicad is new to me. edit: also the 3 pin switch footprint. I'm using a 5 pin header for that lol.

Last edited by gipetto; 04-25-2019 at 07:36 AM.
post #16 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
@TranquilTempest do you happen to have the ec10 footprint to share? I have a similar project on the go. I doubt i'll ever finish it though, as kicad is new to me. edit: also the 3 pin switch footprint. I'm using a 5 pin header for that lol.
Not "official" ones, but I did make some.

The encoder footprint is a little sketchy. Couldn't figure out how to get routed slots in the footprint editor, so I used round holes. Maybe you can define plated slots somewhere else, but I haven't got that far yet. I believe pins 1 2 3 correspond to A B C, but you shouldn't trust me on that.

Switch footprint was much easier.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ALPS_horzontal_encoder.kicad_mod.txt (700 Bytes, 13 views)
File Type: txt Microswitch_SPDT_D2F.kicad_mod.txt (1.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by TranquilTempest; 04-25-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #17 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the help, I guess I can upload my schematic if I replace the proprietary sensor with an adns9800 or something, but it's nothing you haven't seen before. When I made my first pcb with fritzing I used 2mm holes for the sides of the ec10 encoder. I may have had to cut them down the side with a sidecutters, can't remember.

kicad only has ec11 mechanical encoders and from memory, those use the center pin as common, whereas the ec10 has an outer pin as common. I screwed up the first pcb I made, so after that I put an extra 2 mounting holes so that I could rotate the encoder 180 degrees to correct the wiring.

kicad still needs a little work, because the NO and NC pins are reversed between the spst and spdt.
post #18 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the help, I guess I can upload my schematic if I replace the proprietary sensor with an adns9800 or something, but it's nothing you haven't seen before. When I made my first pcb with fritzing I used 2mm holes for the sides of the ec10 encoder. I may have had to cut them down the side with a sidecutters, can't remember.

kicad only has ec11 mechanical encoders and from memory, those use the center pin as common, whereas the ec10 has an outer pin as common. I screwed up the first pcb I made, so after that I put an extra 2 mounting holes so that I could rotate the encoder 180 degrees to correct the wiring.

kicad still needs a little work, because the NO and NC pins are reversed between the spst and spdt.
I used 2.1mm holes because those pins have a kink in them, but I haven't tested if that's enough clearance or not. If it's not, I can just bend the pins straight to make it work.

And yeah, it would make more sense if pin 1 was common, pin 2 was NO, and pin 3 was NC. Though instead of messing with the existing symbol I just made the footprint match the symbol.

post #19 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Good idea going for the 1.2mm hole for the microswitch pins. I used 1.25 which I found worked well. This pcb should be better than the old fritzing one because the bendpoints forced the middle click switch against the wheel. The pic is just a rough arrangement, nothing measured for the io1.1 yet. I don't think I can solder this smt mcu though. I'd love to use the alps em11b hall effect encoder, but if it is anything like the ec11 then it would hit the upper shell. maybe if it was countersunk into the wheel..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse2.png
Views:	13
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	266744  

post #20 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

That encoder would make the middle click a lot more complicated though. Maybe put it on a second PCB, so that it can move up and down with the mouse wheel.

As for soldering annoying surface mount parts, QFP isn't too bad, just drag a blob across the pins then wick up the excess. With the QFN I think I'm going to solder it before anything else, by tinning the pads first, using lots of flux, and reflowing the center pad by heating the bottom of the board with a heat gun.

Last edited by TranquilTempest; 04-25-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Tags
custom , modding , mouse , pcb , shell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in