Progress on a fully custom mouse. - Page 8 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Progress on a fully custom mouse.

post #71 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
page 96

UART0, UART1, SPI0, SMB0, CP0, CP0A,
CP1, CP1A, SYSCLK, PCA0 (CEX0-2 and
ECI), T0, T1, T2/3/4
Any port pin available for assignment by
the crossbar. This includes P0.0 – P2.3
pins which have their PnSKIP bit set to ‘0’.
The crossbar will always assign UART0
pins to P0.4 and P0.5.

the crossbar is mostly blue so I think you can, it's very flexible.

found another mistake in my pcb, the differential pair routing for usb completely screwed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by gipetto View Post
i'm using kicad 6.0.0 for some reason. it grabs new kicad files from the repo every day, must be development builds or something. pcb layout editor doesn't work today, there's a bug in the right click menu, i'll try it again tomorrow or this evening when the new build comes.
That's why I don't like KiCad, you should give it a try to design spark which is more user friendly in my opinion !

What about thermal vias in your design ?
post #73 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
page 96

UART0, UART1, SPI0, SMB0, CP0, CP0A,
CP1, CP1A, SYSCLK, PCA0 (CEX0-2 and
ECI), T0, T1, T2/3/4
Any port pin available for assignment by
the crossbar. This includes P0.0 – P2.3
pins which have their PnSKIP bit set to ‘0’.
The crossbar will always assign UART0
pins to P0.4 and P0.5.

the crossbar is mostly blue so I think you can, it's very flexible.

found another mistake in my pcb, the differential pair routing for usb completely screwed up.
That's what I thought at first, but as far as I can tell, you can tell the chip which pins to use for the crossbar, and which peripherals you want enabled, but you can't tell it what order to assign things, it always uses the same order.

Honestly, when I think of a "crossbar" I would expect inputs to map to outputs in any order. Using that word to describe this is a bit misleading, you can't change the order at all. If I put MISO on P2.2, MOSI can only go on P2.3.

Last edited by TranquilTempest; 05-15-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

>thermal via
this is the first I have heard of them. I did read a note saying 2 layer boards can carry higher current because the air cools them compared to a trace inside a 4 layer type. since i have decided to abandon rgb to simplify routing and will only use a standard luminosity 3mm led for a power up check, the heat generated will likely be small.
>you can't change the order at all
if you are worried you can use the example on page 97. it would help if you had more examples to copy off but since it is such a rare mcu that is unlikely.

kicad hasn't given me much trouble to be fair, and now that i have someone to bounce questions off i am getting adept in it. it was my decision to use development builds to maximize compatibility with obscure part libraries. by using a repository it had a lower learning curve so long as i kept updating.

Last edited by gipetto; 05-15-2019 at 05:26 AM.
post #75 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
>thermal via
this is the first I have heard of them. I did read a note saying 2 layer boards can carry higher current because the air cools them compared to a trace inside a 4 layer type. since i have decided to abandon rgb to simplify routing and will only use a standard luminosity 3mm led for a power up check, the heat generated will likely be small.
>you can't change the order at all
if you are worried you can use the example on page 97. it would help if you had more examples to copy off but since it is such a rare mcu that is unlikely.
I noticed I had plenty on the WMO and the Zowie PCB so I include it myself on my design. For the path of it every component have a specific thermal signature so you just copy the path of each of them, then you need to connect the vias to your top and bottom ground layer. I also did the same as microsoft and put some silklayer mark on them to differentiate it from via connecting traces.

I will upload a picture of the zowie's pcb for you to see the vias pattern.

here's two link about it :

https://www.electronics-cooling.com/...s-best-friend/
https://www.edn.com/electronics-blog...r-thermal-vias
post #76 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

> I will upload a picture of the zowie's pcb for you to see the vias pattern.
no need tbh, the pcb doesn't have to be perfect, i'm not launching a mouse company here lol. i'm just going to take my time and whenever i have all the serious concerns worked out i'll order it. I doubt anyone is going to copy it due to the learning curve. i've made a few pcbs for other projects and they all worked fine without an issue, even the handmade type. this is my first smt pcb though and the thermal problems should be much less than anything I did before. I have a local guy lined up to assemble it.
post #77 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have a faulty g502 that keeps powering off here and I am wondering could i use the sensor without code mods. I have found the g502 srom.
post #78 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

That's a PMW3366, right? I think qsxcv would know more about any differences.

In any case, I have boards back. A couple minor clearance issues with scroll wheel, but nothing a small washer and 30 seconds with a needle file can't fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bc5mWpX.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	270618  

post #79 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Indeed, 3366. I won't annoy the guy though. It's not especially important anyway. no pcbs yet here but I did receive the em11b. as I expected they are too large to fit within the case. They probably only suit a large wheel like a finalmouse. mine don't have a proper shaft, just a short round stubby one with a flat screwdriver notch at the end. they were dirt cheap though. what is that large ic with so many pins? an eprom perhaps?
I realized my pcb is also compatible with the wmo but it would take a redesign to achieve intellimouse 1.3 compatibility, which is a shape I have more interest in. I would need a huge hole in the pcb to clear the rear screw. I think I have reached the point where I have to stop feature creep though and just finish it.
post #80 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Indeed, 3366. I won't annoy the guy though. It's not especially important anyway. no pcbs yet here but I did receive the em11b. as I expected they are too large to fit within the case. They probably only suit a large wheel like a finalmouse. mine don't have a proper shaft, just a short round stubby one with a flat screwdriver notch at the end. they were dirt cheap though. what is that large ic with so many pins? an eprom perhaps?
I realized my pcb is also compatible with the wmo but it would take a redesign to achieve intellimouse 1.3 compatibility, which is a shape I have more interest in. I would need a huge hole in the pcb to clear the rear screw. I think I have reached the point where I have to stop feature creep though and just finish it.
The IC below the microcontroller is a non-inverting buffer used for positive feedback based hardware debouncing(edit: 74HC7541PW). It's honestly a bit overkill. You'd have to hold the switch in an indeterminant state for quite a while for there to be any advantage over just a capacitor. There is a very small potential performance benefit over using two pins on the microcontroller, because it will latch into the correct state on the first edge, you don't get the small amount of variance caused by sampling the pin during a bounce.

I believe there are also a few bus transceiver ICs that would work as a drop in replacement.

Last edited by TranquilTempest; 05-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Tags
custom , modding , mouse , pcb , shell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in