Progress on a fully custom mouse. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Progress on a fully custom mouse.

post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
Progress on a fully custom mouse.

Over the past few years I've slowly been gaining knowledge about electronics, and recently I've been thinking there's not really anything about mouse technology that really mystifies me, so why not try to design and build one myself? It might be a little overambitious, but there's nothing wrong with failing.

Details of the current design:
PMW3360 (3389 should be an easy change though)
8 hardware debounced switches, 3 of which will be on separate board, for thumb buttons.
ALPS encoder
MCU: EFM8UB10F16G-C-QFN28 (may change later, but want to at least try it first)
61mm x 60mm, but I think I can get it smaller.

Prototype shell will be made by vacuforming over a clay sculpture. If that doesn't work out I may try 3d printing.

This is the first PCB I've laid out, and I'm not quite done with it yet, but I think it's good enough to get some feedback on. Learning to use KiCAD at the same time:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mouse.png
Views:	82
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	266436  

Last edited by TranquilTempest; 05-23-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:44 PM
lololol

Rep: 366 (Unique: 152)
noice

why not centered sensor?

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:50 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
The switches need 3 holes, your render at least to me has the middle leg blocked with some weird trace shapes. I don't get it either why mice sold in mass have no hardware debounce and instead rely on software with delays.

Never heard of that MCU, I would rather use some kind of AR but then I'm too lazy and cheap to go through all the trouble and expenses to make a custom mouse.

Good luck!

---

Why would sensor need to be centered on a PCB if it's centered on the mouse itself?
There are some existing solutions for using 3360 with other MCUs dev boards. That's probably the trickiest part, to communicate with the sensor.

Last edited by JackCY; 04-23-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by qsxcv View Post
noice

why not centered sensor?
Partly trying to minimize size and deconflict buttons behind scroll wheel, partly because I vaguely remember a whitepaper from the era of ball mice about people being more accurate when the sensor was placed close to the index finger. Though I readily admit that study may have been based on people using a mouse for the first time ever, and I'm having a hard time finding it now.

post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
The switches need 3 holes, your render at least to me has the middle leg blocked with some weird trace shapes. I don't get it either why mice sold in mass have no hardware debounce and instead rely on software with delays.
That's just KiCAD being silly with the thermal relief on through hole ground pads, Those holes are indeed marked to be drilled. It's just showing up because it's not marked to be etched away.
Quote:

Never heard of that MCU, I would rather use some kind of AR but then I'm too lazy and cheap to go through all the trouble and expenses to make a custom mouse.

Good luck!
ARM or AVR? The microcontroller choice is mostly me satisfying my own curiosity, though it is significantly cheaper than my second choice, which would be the atmega32u4.
Quote:

---

Why would sensor need to be centered on a PCB if it's centered on the mouse itself?
There are some existing solutions for using 3360 with other MCUs dev boards. That's probably the trickiest part, to communicate with the sensor.
Well, communicating with the sensor is just SPI, and there's a datasheet available, so not too big a deal.

post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:10 PM
lololol

Rep: 366 (Unique: 152)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
That's probably the trickiest part, to communicate with the sensor.
nah... the sensor communication code i wrote for avr can be easily ported to be used with other mcu architectures...

trickiest part is probably getting usb stuff set up; i never did this myself but just used usb code from https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/usb_mouse.html

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
I don't see any spi level converters. Are you going the voltage divider route, then running the mcu at 3.3v and hope the mcu sees the low voltage from the 3360? I once made a shell myself by using a blowlamp to melt perspex over another mouse, then a towel to press it down around it.
post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gipetto View Post
I don't see any spi level converters. Are you going the voltage divider route, then running the mcu at 3.3v and hope the mcu sees the low voltage from the 3360? I once made a shell myself by using a blowlamp to melt perspex over another mouse, then a towel to press it down around it.
MCU has an internal 5v to 3.3v regulator, and that's what it runs its IO on. Said 3.3v also drives the sensor's VDDIO pin(internal regulator can provide up to 100mA). There is a separate 1.9v regulator for the sensor's normal VDD.

Might have picked a MCU that can run on 1.9 if USB signaling didn't need 3.3 anyway.

Interesting idea with molding a shell. I do have a heat gun that might work.

Last edited by TranquilTempest; 04-24-2019 at 12:38 AM.
post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I'm on a similar project but less complicated as I'm only trying to replicate a mouse design on a different pcb shape.

If you want to take a look : https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...a-married.html

What king of button switches are you planning to use ?

I wish you good luck !
post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Gordon59 View Post
I'm on a similar project but less complicated as I'm only trying to replicate a mouse design on a different pcb shape.

If you want to take a look : https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...a-married.html

What king of button switches are you planning to use ?

I wish you good luck !
Switches will be Omron D2F-01F.

Took a look at your thread, it's interesting, but I would have added better debouncing if I was going through the trouble of a custom PCB anyway. Here's some more info on that: https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...ncing-mod.html

Tags
custom , modding , mouse , pcb , shell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in