What is the coating on G900's mouse wheel? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What is the coating on G900's mouse wheel?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
What is the coating on G900's mouse wheel?

Opened a brand new G900 and the mouse wheel is all sticky. It's kinda like glue and sticks to your fingers, why? Is it just a rubber coating and this is the rubber degraded due to age? Mouse was bought a while ago but only opened now. How do I fix this? Rubbing alcohol work?

overclocking is a full-time job.

mouse search is finally over. \o/

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion." - Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 383 (Unique: 274)
Quote: Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Opened a brand new G900 and the mouse wheel is all sticky. It's kinda like glue and sticks to your fingers, why? Is it just a rubber coating and this is the rubber degraded due to age? Mouse was bought a while ago but only opened now. How do I fix this? Rubbing alcohol work?
Shouldn't happen. My day 1 now broken g900 never had that happen. Some materials or exposure conditions may degrade the coating, but no idea which. You need to RMA the mouse, because the notches on the coating are what triggers the mouse wheel.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Shouldn't happen. My day 1 now broken g900 never had that happen. Some materials or exposure conditions may degrade the coating, but no idea which. You need to RMA the mouse, because the notches on the coating are what triggers the mouse wheel.
That's the thing, I can't RMA it anymore. It was bought over 2 years ago and Logitech warranty is now only 2 years. Sigh~
My original G900 which I'm still using on one computer is still working great. This one been sitting in original sealed box for 2 years, in a dry and cool room, not exposed to direct sunlight or anything and wheel is all messed up. If this is normal rubber degradation, how do they not have this problem in retail stores or warehouse lol.
I tried a little bit 70% rubbing alcohol, seems less sticky but still sticky nonetheless. Maybe need 90%+?....
Does Logitech offer repair service if I pay for it?

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion." - Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 383 (Unique: 274)
Quote: Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's the thing, I can't RMA it anymore. It was bought over 2 years ago and Logitech warranty is now only 2 years. Sigh~
My original G900 which I'm still using on one computer is still working great. This one been sitting in original sealed box for 2 years, in a dry and cool room, not exposed to direct sunlight or anything and wheel is all messed up. If this is normal rubber degradation, how do they not have this problem in retail stores or warehouse lol.
I tried a little bit 70% rubbing alcohol, seems less sticky but still sticky nonetheless. Maybe need 90%+?....
Does Logitech offer repair service if I pay for it?
91% works well. Try it and take your time. If you can remove all of the stickiness, if the grooves are still in the wheel and identical to your old one, the wheel should work.
For all the hate the G502 "brick" got, its metal wheel never, ever wore out.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
91% works well. Try it and take your time. If you can remove all of the stickiness, if the grooves are still in the wheel and identical to your old one, the wheel should work.
For all the hate the G502 "brick" got, its metal wheel never, ever wore out.
TYVM! i'll go get some 91% ones and try again

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
might as well buy a gallon of 99% from Amazon like I did eons ago.

stuff works on everything, specially sticky oils.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in