[Sponsored] In-depth review of the Glorious Model O (O.D.I.N.) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Sponsored] In-depth review of the Glorious Model O (O.D.I.N.)

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Mouse addict

Rep: 31 (Unique: 23)
[Sponsored] In-depth review of the Glorious Model O (O.D.I.N.)

Disclaimer: Although the review sample was provided by Glorious, the review itself is 100% unbiased. All opinions are my own.

Features
The Model O is an ambidextrous gaming mouse with two side buttons on the left and one button for switching CPI on the top, and an LED indicator for the current CPI level on the bottom. It features Pixart’s top of the line optical sensor, the PMW3360, which is capable of up to 12,000 CPI. Furthermore the mouse comes with the particularly flexible ‘Ascended Cable’ cord, 100% PTFE ‘G-Skates’ mouse feet and a weight of just 67g (excluding cable). For the main buttons Omron switches that are rated for 20 million clicks are being used. Lastly the Model O is also equipped with full RGB (lighted scroll wheel and two stripes on the sides) with up to 16.8 million colours.

Packaging
The mouse sits nicely cushioned in a plastic tray, along with two Glorious stickers, a quick start guide, some product information and a card that features a couple of words from the CEO of Glorious. There are no replacement mouse feet in the box, but it is possible to order replacement feet directly from Glorious (not to mention that the ones provided should already last quite a while due to being 100% PTFE). The cable is folded which is no issue whatsoever due to how flexible it is.

Dimensions:

Base length: 12 cm
Length including button overhang: 12.7 cm
Height (highest point): 3.5 cm
Front height (lowest point): 1.5 cm
Width (widest point): 6.5 cm
Grip width (narrowest point): 5.5 cm

Glorious indicate 3.75 cm for the height, but I’m unable to confirm that measurement.

Weight
A picture says more than a thousand words.

In short, Glorious has every right to print ‘67g’ on the box, it’s a highly accurate claim. The weight is also well distributed across the mouse body.

Shape
Prior to release the shape of the Model O has been compared to that of the Zowie FK1. As you can see from the pictures there is certainly some merit to this claim. It should be noted, however, that the Model O is very much its own thing nonetheless. Like the FK1, the Model O is a low profile mouse with a centered and non-tapered hump that extends almost across the whole width. The sides are curved horizontally but mostly straight vertically, which allows for comfortable thumb placement and sufficient grip. Similarly to the FK1 the side buttons are rather small as there isn’t as much space due to the low profile. Aside from being slightly bulkier overall, the main difference compared to the FK1 is the fact that the Model O doesn’t taper outward as drastically towards to the top as the FK1. Personally I’ve never been quite able to warm up to the FK1 (unlike the FK2), yet the Model O has been very comfortable and easy to maneuver right from the get go. For reference, my hand size is 19x10cm and I’m using claw grip. From what I can tell the Model O should suit fingertip and (possibly to a lesser degree) palm grip as well, as the Model O has a fairly ‘universal’ shape despite being on the larger side.

Mouse feet and cable
The Model O has four medium sized feet that are made of 100% pure PTFE (which is why they’re white), which should result in greater longevity compared to feet that aren’t made of 100% PTFE. Edges are slightly rounded as well for better glide across all surfaces. I don’t have a hard pad to test the feet on, but at least on a cloth pad the glide is indeed very good.

Onto the cable. The Model O features a highly flexible and light cable that is braided, although not as tightly as others. Please see these pictures for comparison:

Although there is of course no way to objectively quantify this claim, I do think that the cable on the Model O is just as flexible as an actual Paracord, if not more flexible. The thickness does mean though that it can be difficult to force the cable into a mouse bungee. In order to do so it is recommended to pull the cable on both ends so it clips into the bungee. Due to the flexibility of the cable a bungee arguably isn’t needed anyway though. The cable measures 1.85 m when fully stretched and 1.80 m when not fully stretched. The USB connector is gold plated and there is a ferrite bead attached to the cable which helps lessen noise.

Comparison: DM1 FPS 'Shoelace' cable on the left, Model O 'Ascended Cable' on the right

Comparison: Paracord cable on the left, Model O 'Ascended Cable' on the right

Build quality
Despite being a very lightweight construction the Model O is among the most well-built mice I have come across so far. There is no rattle while shaking and no flexing when applying pressure. There is, however, slight creaking on the left side when pressing from a certain angle. The whole build feels solid and sturdy. Button quality is very decent overall as well. The main buttons are crisp and fairly easy to press, with very little pre-travel and moderate post-travel. The scroll wheel isn’t quite as tactile, but the scrolling is smooth and quiet. Actuating the scroll wheel requires moderate force. The side buttons and the CPI button are a bit mushy due to the moderate amount of pre-travel, though personally I had zero issues with them.

My sample came with a matte coating in black. Having rather sweaty hands I really like it. Not only does it provide excellent grip, it also doesn’t attract dirt too much, unlike some other matte coatings (looking at you, Zowie). However, due to the holes it is still recommended to give the mouse a regular cleaning to prevent any dirt getting within the mouse and building up there. The Model O is also available in Matte White, Glossy Black and Glossy White.

Testing
CPI accuracy:
For this test I’m checking whether the actual CPI values match the nominally stated CPI values. First I’m testing the default CPI steps of 400/800/1600/3200. Measured (actual) CPI was 396/798/1601/3170. Aside from the last step these results are incredibly accurate. Said accuracy holds true for custom CPI steps set through the software as well, which is impressive.

Sensor smoothing (motion delay):
In this test I’m ensuring that the sensor performs how it should be. ‘Sensor smoothing’ describes an averaging of motion data across several capture frames in order to reduce jitter at higher CPI values, which increases motion delay. The goal here is to have as little smoothing as possible. According to specification the 3360 has no visible smoothing up to 2000 CPI and 32 frames of smoothing at and above 2100 CPI. Let’s see how the 3360 in the Model O fares in this test.

First I’m doing a basic test in which I’m looking at a plot of the raw motion data, aggregated as xCount. The first three plots (generated at 400, 800 and 1600 CPI respectively) show very clean looking graphs without any oddities. The 3200 CPI plot, however, includes a ‘kink’ which indicates that at this CPI step there is smoothing present.

In order to determine at which CPI value the added smoothing kicks in I’m taking a look at two plots that compare the Model O to a G403 (3366, no smoothing across the whole CPI range), aggregated as xSum. Any CPI deviations between the two mice have been normalised. While there is virtually no difference in motion delay at 2000 CPI, there is a clear difference in motion delay at 2100 CPI, which indeed confirms that the 3360 in the Model O behaves exactly like a 3360 should.

2000 CPI:

2100 CPI:

Paint test:
This test is used to indicate any potential issues with angle snapping (non-native straightening of linear motion) and jitter. As you can see no such issues can be observed.

PCS:
‘PCS’ is short for ‘perfect control speed’. PCS indicates the maximum speed up to which the sensor functions flawlessly (i.e. without malfunctioning in some way). The nominal PCS of the 3360 is 250 IPS, which translates to 6.35 m/s. Since I didn’t manage to hit higher speeds without tilting the mouse, a 4 m/s swipe has to suffice here. As you can see there are no signs of the sensor malfunctioning at that speed.

Click delay:
After applying the latest firmware update the Model O has a click delay of about 10 ms (firmware value for debounce is 10 ms), which is already decent. Thankfully the software for the Model O also allows for lower debounce values (4-16 ms), which is a very welcome option. When using the lowest possible value the Model O was consistently able to beat the Nixeus Revel (6.2 ms delay relative to the Steelseries Ikari) and to trade blows with the Logitech G403 (4.2 ms delay relative to the Steelseries Ikari) in my testing (bump test), which is excellent. According to Glorious the 4 ms debounce setting should not yield any double clicks (I can confirm this for my sample). If double clicks should occur it is recommended to choose a higher value within the software.

Software and RGB
The first thing that should be mentioned about the software is how lightweight it is in terms of resources. Install size is roughly 5 MB and RAM consumption is about 8 MB, which are excellent values. In terms of functionality the software offers everything that is needed in a single tab. All buttons can be remapped to other mouse functions, media functions and even macros. Up to six colour-coded CPI levels can be configured with values ranging from 400-12,000 CPI in increments of 100. Furthermore it is possible to specify separate CPI values for X and Y movement respectively. There are two levels (2mm or 3mm) to choose from for LOD (lift-off distance), with the former being the default. For USB polling rate four levels are available to choose from: 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1000Hz. This is particularly useful for older games which sometimes do not support polling rates higher than 125Hz. All of these polling rate levels were stable on my system. Lastly (and as already mentioned) the software also allows advanced users to select the debounce value, which effectively determines click delay. This option is only available when using the latest firmware for the mouse.

As for the RGB, the Model O features a wide range of possible modes and effects. Default is the ‘Glorious Mode’, which can be aptly described as a continuous flow of colours from the top to the bottom. ‘Seamless Breathing’ lets the separate colours flow seamlessly into each other. ‘Breathing’ does the same, just without the seamless part. ‘Single Colour’ is self-explanatory. ‘Tail’ is similar to the ‘Glorious Mode’, but the colours rather pulsate from top to bottom instead of flowing. ‘Rave’ is the mode to choose when you feel like popping some MDMA. ‘Wave’ combines all the modes mentioned above and should not be selected by people susceptible to epilepsy. Finally, there is also the option to turn all LEDs ‘off’ – I suggest terming this one ‘the enthusiast’s choice’. Most of the modes can be further fine-tuned with regard to speed, brightness and (of course) colour.

Personally I quite liked the RGB effects. Colour accuracy is very good, transitions are fluid and the holes letting some of the light through add a nice touch when using the mouse in a dark room (the gamer’s habitat). It’s also nice that RGB modes update in real time in the software without having to ‘apply’ the changed setting every time. In fact, polling rate and CPI update in real time as well, which is neat for sure.

All the settings can be saved to the internal memory of the Model O, which means that you can set up the mouse once and uninstall the driver afterwards. Additionally it is possible to configure the RGB effects to one’s liking without having to install the software at all by using pre-defined button combinations.

The Verdict
Incredibly low weight. Awesome cable. Excellent mouse feet. Fantastic shape. Flawless tracking. Well-made firmware and software. Nice RGB functionality. The Model O ticks so many boxes that I’d already be impressed if it came from a company that has been in the mouse industry for two decades, yet this is Glorious’ first attempt at making a gaming mouse. The only department where I see room for improvement are the side buttons, although I’m already nitpicking here. All in all the Model O is simply an excellent mouse and a joy to use. I’m genuinely looking forward to what Glorious has in store for the letters D, I and N.

Picture Album
Plot Album

Mice currently owned: Logitech G402/G403/G303/G Pro, Zowie FK1/EC2-A/EC2-B/ZA12, Razer Deathadder 2013/Basilisk, Cooler Master Mastermouse S/MM530/MM520, Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye, Dream Machines DM1 Pro S/FPS/DM3 mini, EVGA Torq X3/X5, Ninox Venator, HP Omen 600, Thermaltake Ventus X RGB Optical/Ventus R, Microsoft WMO, Steelseries Rival 310, Nixeus Revel, Ozone Neon M50

Looking to buy and try: Ninox Astrum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:04 AM
mfw

Rep: 403 (Unique: 207)
Obligatory REP for the work you put into it.

Now, to read and watch all of the reviews coming out. It's absolutely gross that I have to wait 10+ days to get mine.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
Shame that it uses delay based debouncing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Excellent review.
Cheers.

Could you possibly compare the shape to other mice?

I've never owned a FK1 (only Zowie mouse I've ever had was an AM-something).

Could you compare it to the FM and the GPW specifically, please? (provided that you own these mice)

Talking about dimensions means surprisingly little. The GPW and the FM almost have identical dimensions.
But in my hand, at least, the GPW feels like a tiny, tiny mouse, whereas the FM feels gigantic.

Does the model O feel larger or smaller than the FM? Larger or smaller than the GPW?

Thanks. (rep added)

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by dontspamme View Post
Excellent review.
Cheers.

Could you possibly compare the shape to other mice?

I've never owned a FK1 (only Zowie mouse I've ever had was an AM-something).

Could you compare it to the FM and the GPW specifically, please? (provided that you own these mice)

Talking about dimensions means surprisingly little. The GPW and the FM almost have identical dimensions.
But in my hand, at least, the GPW feels like a tiny, tiny mouse, whereas the FM feels gigantic.

Does the model O feel larger or smaller than the FM? Larger or smaller than the GPW?

Thanks. (rep added)
feels much smaller than the FM to me, especially due to being much shorter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by idiotekniQues View Post
feels much smaller than the FM to me, especially due to being much shorter.
So it feels shorter. But does it feel more narrow, too?
(my main issue with thr FM is that it feels too wide)

Do you rest your palm on the 'butt' of the mouse?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by dontspamme View Post
So it feels shorter. But does it feel more narrow, too?
(my main issue with thr FM is that it feels too wide)

Do you rest your palm on the 'butt' of the mouse?
My main issue with the FM is it felt a tad too wide as well. I rest my palm on the butt of the mouse yes. Te GO does feel narrower than the FM to me.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by idiotekniQues View Post
My main issue with the FM is it felt a tad too wide as well. I rest my palm on the butt of the mouse yes. Te GO does feel narrower than the FM to me.
Excellent!

Thank you.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 23)
Your mouse buttons aren't loose?
My right one is acceptable, but my left mouse button moves laterally a bit. Feel like modern Steelseries loose buttons.

Last edited by frunction; 05-20-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
when you test the click latency of g403, you should keep your g403 on the surface.
If you have to lift G403 off the surface when you test the latency(for example doing a bump test), you should tape a piece of paper underneath G403.
Because G403's debounce filter is not always on. It is only on when it is off the surface. When the mouse is on the surface, there is no debounce latency applied at all. This is the smart design Logitech has on their modern 3366 mice.
If you tape a piece of paper like I said and test again, G403 cannot be beaten.

Get higher speed memory and manage to run your game at 240+FPS with all kinds of v-sync and buffering turned off before you talk about mouse precision.
Memory speed and efficiency is the KEY factor to improve framerates in ALL multiplayer games (eg. OW, WOW, CSGO, LOL, HOTS). CPU frequency or GPU power is NOT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in