[Sponsored] ROCCAT Kain 120 Overview - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Sponsored] ROCCAT Kain 120 Overview

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
[Sponsored] ROCCAT Kain 120 Overview

Hey guys just posting this here for anyone who wants a quick rundown of some of the features of the Kain.

It's a bit brief for OCN but, figured some people might wanna check it out.

I put a sponsored tag because ROCCAT sent the mouse out to me early / for free to test and tinker with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 50)
ahh drats. I was really hoping it would be lighter than 80 grams. 92g is kind of a hard sell for me, I was so excited for roccat. shape does look really good though. and if the clicks are as good as they make their wheels... hmm yeah.
also was hoping they'd make a paracord style cable. but how does this one compare to air58's cable?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:20 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 171 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by menismyforte View Post
Hey guys just posting this here for anyone who wants a quick rundown of some of the features of the Kain.
Good review, especially the close ups of the mouse body surface. This could actually be the ONE to own this year .

It's a bit brief for OCN but, figured some people might wanna check it out.
Good enough for myself here.

When this model is finally released it shall be added to my Roccat collection. Looks to be the most worthy thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 4)
Great review. Very interesting mouse, never had a Roccat mouse before but I might be keen on this one if they can make some small improvements to things like the sides, perhaps give them some curvature to grip or use a soft coating like the G403's sides).

It would be great to see the weight brought down a bit (maybe replace the metal piece between the L/R mouse buttons with something lighter) but even if they don't 92g is pretty good for that size and shape. Thanks for the video!

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 50)
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...Kain_120_AIMO/

vanir's review says the side issues will be fixed, and Roccat said somewhere (don't quote me on this, my friend is just telling me this now) that the weight of the final version is 89g.

wonder how much could be removed by taking off the RGB stuff in the rear there... probably just a few grams...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by munchzilla View Post
ahh drats. I was really hoping it would be lighter than 80 grams. 92g is kind of a hard sell for me, I was so excited for roccat. shape does look really good though. and if the clicks are as good as they make their wheels... hmm yeah.
also was hoping they'd make a paracord style cable. but how does this one compare to air58's cable?
Yeah, I think they could drop the weight a bit, but I main the air58 and tbh it wasn't too hard of a swap (granted, I prefer lighter weight for sure)

Cable is hard to desribe, not as weightless/bendy as the new-ish wave of "almost paracord" cables, but its not terrible. Didn't bother me once I put it in my camade
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

vanir's review says the side issues will be fixed, and Roccat said somewhere (don't quote me on this, my friend is just telling me this now) that the weight of the final version is 89g.

wonder how much could be removed by taking off the RGB stuff in the rear there... probably just a few grams...
I asked how much it "cost" to put those lights in, they said about 3-4g. I haven't torn it apart myself yet to verify, was in and out of the hospital a lot the last week. Might do it a bit later this week to find out
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
I know you said in the video that you didn't want to get into reviewing the software at this point.
But can you tell us if you can change the lift off distance in the software, like you usually can with Roccat mice?

How many settings? How high is the highest setting?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0

I asked how much it "cost" to put those lights in, they said about 3-4g. I haven't torn it apart myself yet to verify, was in and out of the hospital a lot the last week. Might do it a bit later this week to find out
Looks difficult, if not impossible to paracord due to that big chunk in front. Can you comment on this? Curios entry from Roccat, would have been a beast two years ago.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 42)
Not really feeling the design language. Looks like a mix between that Plugable OEM shell and a Steelseries mouse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in