G502 double click fixed itself - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

G502 double click fixed itself

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
G502 double click fixed itself

edit: lol nevermind it just started doing it again, now im sure its ****ed up. ill contact logitech and get a new one

------

My G502 started double clicking on Linux in a weird way. Often I was trying to select text and it would click again. I've tried to unplug and to change ports but nothing fixed. Rebooted, tried everything.

Then I plugged the mouse on my Windows laptop and it wasn't double clicking anymore. Now it fixed the problem even on Linux.

Am I wrong to asume it was some problem with the internal memory that Windows fixed it in some way? Have you heard of any similar problems?
My warranty is going to expire soon I'm not sure I should ask for a replacement preemptively or if it was just a temporary thing.

PS: it was working fine for years, I haven't changed anything on my Linux setup

Last edited by loler; 06-18-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
Sometimes pressing the button as much down as you can can help momentarily.

The only fix that works is to contact clean the switches which on modern Logitech mice is a pain as they are filled with many parts screwed together with endless number of tiny screws. To get to all switches on G403 is quite on ordeal.

It's an electrical issue where the contacts wear and oxidize what ever, long story short their resistance is bad and they get detected as going on and off when pressed.
All switches/mice I've ever had only last about 12-18 months.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
linux added in a feature to handle bad switches, maybe that's why the problem went away.

http://who-t.blogspot.com/2017/07/li...ebouncing.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM
lololol

Rep: 363 (Unique: 150)
Quote:
It's not possible for a user to really release and press a button within 8ms
uhm... it's easily possible by tapping a button lol

blah... this is something that should be handled by the mouse firmware, not libinput...

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
Welcome to Linux...

A place where all your inputs are now filtered, there is no HDR and we got Adative sync working after several years!

---

I wrote key debouncing into my game controller input yesterday, in a specific way and only for a specific key... why on earth are they doing auto detecting debouncing on libinput... Leave it to hardware and firmware to do it and if that doesn't then added it where necessary not blanket cover everything with debouncing.

Good luck bouncing a key with your tapping in 8ms. If you speed click you can get into 80ms range, if you bounce it's around 40ms. You would need some weird mouse where the button bounces on it's own after a tap to get into <20ms and then... mmm mouse firmware already has debouncing on most mice doesn't it.
Have my own app for testing these switch bouncing faults for over 10 years. Don't bother with any web trash you may find to measure clicks, it's horrible. Need a desktop app that tracks the events and timing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:55 PM
lololol

Rep: 363 (Unique: 150)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Need a desktop app that tracks the events and timing.
yea well what do u think this is?
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...topics/1572872

or even better i've looked before on an oscilloscope. if you tap a button (barely) hard enough it is easy to get <5ms long clicks

depending on the method of debouncing in the mouse's firmware, those light clicks will either be ignored, or lengthened to some time (e.g. around 20ms for many logi mice)

too busy to check forums as regularly
pm me if i forget to respond

Tags
double click , g502 , linux , Logitech , windows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in