How much VOODOO is there in mouse response? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How much VOODOO is there in mouse response?

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Dankeroni Pepperoni

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
How much VOODOO is there in mouse response?

Wanted to share a confusing mouse experience I had to see what you guys make of it. Lately I've had the opportunity to visit a local PC LAN center in my city over a couple of times in the past few months. Of course, all the PCs in this place are identical to the component. The network and presumably the power feeding the PCs are also equal, as are the services, configurations, and background processes running.

So why there such an obvious difference in mouse response in many of the PCs? Quality almost seems normally distributed. Most PCs are fine, a few feel like trash to play on, and a few feel incredible. On some PCs, the cursor feels so swampy and slow that I have to resist the urge to raise my sensitivity. On some it feels fast and crisp. My performance across these supposedly identical PCs varies greatly.

What kind of voodoo is going on that causes such a discrepancy in mouse response? I've done A/B tests to the best of my ability, where I test mouse response on two PCs right next to each other and while most of the middle tier PCs are relatively indistinguishable, the bad and good ones really stand out in an obvious way.

the feel when you're stuck using a 10 year old office mouse because you can't aim with anything else... FeelsBadMan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
Maybe the bad ones have some cryptomining malware running or something, that sounds similar to what used to happen on single core machines under load. Today most everything at least has two cores, but you can still get responsiveness issues under heavy load.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 533 (Unique: 302)
may the identical hardware isn't identically configured on the software layer?

maybe some have tricky viruses, or are bot netted? Maybe the mice are failing from more use than others... Maybe some of those machines hook into a less than ideal power source that's causing system wide issues.

maybe someone's been practicing their OC & dialing in barely stable OCs?

maybe alt tab the game & check some settings... then we could help.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Dankeroni Pepperoni

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
may the identical hardware isn't identically configured on the software layer?

maybe some have tricky viruses, or are bot netted? Maybe the mice are failing from more use than others... Maybe some of those machines hook into a less than ideal power source that's causing system wide issues.

maybe someone's been practicing their OC & dialing in barely stable OCs?

maybe alt tab the game & check some settings... then we could help.
I wish I could take a look at performance stats. At the LAN center, PC's are locked down with software that keeps you in a fancy looking control panel from where you can only launch games or change basic settings. For that reason it's not really easy for bad actors to infect the PC either. The mice may be heavily used but I don't think that can affect mouse responsiveness. They are also the same models, bought at the same time so I'd expect relatively even wear. The power source may have something to do with it. I didn't look at how the cabling was done. If they simply daisy chained power strips could uneven power be a factor? I doubt management/staff at that location are intrepid enough to dabble in OCing. My other thought is that there may also be some kind of hardware lottery at play?

the feel when you're stuck using a 10 year old office mouse because you can't aim with anything else... FeelsBadMan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 63)
Hardware lottery only really comes into play with overclocking. Though it's possible some of the machines are so caked with dust that they're thermally throttling.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:45 PM
lololol

Rep: 363 (Unique: 150)
well first, do a blind test somehow and/or find a friend to independently confirm which pc's seem better or worse

also if you arent using your own mouse, maybe dust or crap on sensor lens

the mind can be a lot more deceptive than you think, even if you're aware of it (i.e. initial prejudices stick and become amplified)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Windows 10 clean install defaults to 60hz out of box, thinking only a few were set 144hz or higher

sf
(7 items)
CPU
i9-9900k
Motherboard
Phantom SLi/ac
GPU
1660 SC Ultra
RAM
16Gb G-skill
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
660p
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 454 (Unique: 386)
The same hardware (same version of the same hardware and same firmware/BIOS with the same settings) and also the same software (same version of the same software)?

My guess would be differently performing systems are different.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Any of the following: bad voltage (cpu, mem) lots of droops, bad grounding or ground path in build/case or to the connected peripherals (speakers, monitors), emi/rfi, bad OC as indicated, different power profiles and power related bios settings (cstates), pstates (speedshift, speedstep), video card settings and power profiles.

This is one of the most frustrating things as a gamer who lans, there lots of variability. That's why Im working on my github page, just wrote a section on emi/emf thats easy to understand.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
IMO, power can cause odd issues like that as I'm experiencing the same thing myself. But for me it's just my single gaming PC that I have at home. My mouse response feels completely different whether my ceiling fan is on or off and when it's on I can feel a difference in mouse response depending on the speed of the fan (low, medium, or high). Unplugging my Philips Hue lightstrips and lighting helps with the feel a bit as well.

I am actually going to be able to rule out power as the culprit as I have a double-conversion UPS coming in tomorrow. Basically that will isolate my system completely from any "power issues" that I may be having. If it doesn't end up fixing the problem, then I can confirm whether or not it was even a power issue in the first place.

My aim also feels different depending on what I have my PC + monitor plugged into. Direct into the wall, into a surge protector, into a cheap Furman power conditioner, etc... they all result in different feelings in my mouse response. That is why I have kind of narrowed my issue down to power but we'll see tomorrow.

As for your issues at a LAN... who really knows until you can narrow it down. There are so many things that can effect mouse aim. Nvidia settings could be different from computer to computer (if they even have Nvidia video cards that is), background tasks, FPS differences? So much more.

Last edited by gunit2004; 06-24-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in