Looking for a new mousepad - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Looking for a new mousepad

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Looking for a new mousepad

Currently using a DM Pad, which I really like but I'd like to compare and see if there's anything better. Basically I'm looking for a pad with low static friction, medium-fast glide, even X/Y glide, good durability, and decent stopping power. I think I've narrowed it down to the following

Artisan Zero MID- had the soft, do u think the mid is enough of a difference to make it worth it? I just thought it didn't seem too different from a QCK tbh

HyperX Fury S- have seen mixed things regarding its durability, some say it has lasted them a while while others have said it loses glide. Otherwise I'm def considering this one

Infensus OP- This looks very good, but I'm concerned by how few ppl seem to talk about it. I know that popularity shouldn't matter, but I just figured that a pad that seems this good should have more attention by the enthusiast community yknow?

CM MP510- This looks perfect except for the roughness, which some ppl said was a deal breaker. The roughest pad I ever used was the Dechanic Control, does anyone know how that compares to it?

Welcome to other suggestions as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 4)
Have you heard of the ASUS Scabbard? It sounds like it could fit what you're looking for. I've got one as well as the MP510. The MP510 and Scabbard both use Cordura water resistant fabric but the type/weave is different. The Scabbard is a fine smooth type. It's faster than the MP510, but slower than a hybrid pad like the Aorus AMP500 that I'm trying out atm. The X/Y glide feels even to me. Static friction is pretty low for a cloth pad. It's definitely easier to stop than the hybrid AMP500 though.

I bought it a year or so ago and used it for most of that time. It'a gotten a lot of really good reviews since then too. Definitely check it out. Brandon Taylor on YouTube talks about it in his top 3 favorite desk mats video if you wanted to check that one out.

I've only started trying different pads because I want to see if there's something I like more, so I'm using the AMP500 atm, and I have an Artisan FX Hien Mid and FX Zero Mid on the way, as well as a Glorious XL Heavy. Tbh though I would have been perfectly happy to stick to the Scabbard, and I may end up going back to it, idk. Just wanted to try some of the other big names and see how they are.

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 14)
I'm currently using the Roccat Taito and I am still loving it after 5 years (although this is my 2nd one as the first one became quite worn). Every single mouse that I've tried just glides really smooth. There's also the Taito Control which is a little rougher, but I haven't tried it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:02 AM
mfw

Rep: 376 (Unique: 198)
I don't know how much stopping power is "decent stopping power", but I can only recommend cordura or hybrid pads, namely the MP510, the Scabbard, and the AMP500. Traditional cloth doesn't work for me now - too much static friction. The 3 I recommended (and Zammin, too) are excellent because they're decently priced, very fast, and available almost everywhere.

As for the roughness, yes, the MP510 is rougher than usual, but I didn't find it in any way annoying or abrasive on the skin. I forgot about it a couple of days into using it, but your YMMV. I think you shouldn't have any problems if your skin isn't overly sensitive.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBDK View Post
I'm currently using the Roccat Taito and I am still loving it after 5 years (although this is my 2nd one as the first one became quite worn). Every single mouse that I've tried just glides really smooth. There's also the Taito Control which is a little rougher, but I haven't tried it yet.
I owned the Taito way back when it released, and I can tell you it's so much worse than a lot of more recently released pads, it shouldn't even be a consideration for the OP.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 07-14-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Zammin View Post
Have you heard of the ASUS Scabbard? It sounds like it could fit what you're looking for. I've got one as well as the MP510. The MP510 and Scabbard both use Cordura water resistant fabric but the type/weave is different. The Scabbard is a fine smooth type. It's faster than the MP510, but slower than a hybrid pad like the Aorus AMP500 that I'm trying out atm. The X/Y glide feels even to me. Static friction is pretty low for a cloth pad. It's definitely easier to stop than the hybrid AMP500 though.

I bought it a year or so ago and used it for most of that time. It'a gotten a lot of really good reviews since then too. Definitely check it out. Brandon Taylor on YouTube talks about it in his top 3 favorite desk mats video if you wanted to check that one out.

I've only started trying different pads because I want to see if there's something I like more, so I'm using the AMP500 atm, and I have an Artisan FX Hien Mid and FX Zero Mid on the way, as well as a Glorious XL Heavy. Tbh though I would have been perfectly happy to stick to the Scabbard, and I may end up going back to it, idk. Just wanted to try some of the other big names and see how they are.
I used to have the Scabbard but I had some tracking problems with my EC2-A with the LOD unfortunately. Although now I have a S2 so maybe the 3360 won't have any problems? I only used the Scabbard for a few days because of how annoying the tracking problems were but I did notice how my tracking aim was significantly better like in pistol rounds in CS. I was overshooting a lot with it but maybe I needed to give it more time, I'll definitely consider buying it again. I just hope that Zowie's implementation of the 3360 doesn't have any problems with the Scabbard.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
I don't know how much stopping power is "decent stopping power", but I can only recommend cordura or hybrid pads, namely the MP510, the Scabbard, and the AMP500. Traditional cloth doesn't work for me now - too much static friction. The 3 I recommended (and Zammin, too) are excellent because they're decently priced, very fast, and available almost everywhere.

As for the roughness, yes, the MP510 is rougher than usual, but I didn't find it in any way annoying or abrasive on the skin. I forgot about it a couple of days into using it, but your YMMV. I think you shouldn't have any problems if your skin isn't overly sensitive.

I owned the Taito way back when it released, and I can tell you it's so much worse than a lot of more recently released pads, it shouldn't even be a consideration for the OP.
Thank you, I think I might pull the trigger on the MP510. Unfortunately the AMP500 is too small for me, and maybe down the line I'll order the Scabbard again to compare it to the MP510.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBDK View Post
Never heard of this one before, I'll do some research on it

Mice: Venator (main), G203, EC2-A, FK2, Revel
Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK Reds (main)
Mousepad: Artisan Zero Soft (main), DM L Pad, Dechanic Heavy, GSR HLTV, GSR, GTF-X, HyperX Fury, Qck+, Qck Heavy, Goliathus Speed
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by DeFyYing View Post
I used to have the Scabbard but I had some tracking problems with my EC2-A with the LOD unfortunately. Although now I have a S2 so maybe the 3360 won't have any problems? I only used the Scabbard for a few days because of how annoying the tracking problems were but I did notice how my tracking aim was significantly better like in pistol rounds in CS. I was overshooting a lot with it but maybe I needed to give it more time, I'll definitely consider buying it again. I just hope that Zowie's implementation of the 3360 doesn't have any problems with the Scabbard.
I can't say for sure regarding Zowie mice specifically, but none of my mice have trouble with it, which includes the Model O (3360), G402 (3366), GPW (Hero), Mamba Wireless (3389), Rival 310 (TruMove 3), Rival 600 (TruMove 3+) and HyperX Pulsfire (3310).

My guess would be the Pulsefire is probably the closest to a 3310 equipped Zowie, in that it has no software compatibility or LOD adjustment. Perhaps it may be worth making a separate thread to ask if there are any Scabbard owners with Zowie mice that can confirm.

I can relate to the overshooting thing when getting used to a faster pad, the silicone hybrid pad I'm using at the moment (AMP500) is faster than what I'm used to so it's taking me some time to adjust. I think the Scabbard is a good speed though, it's faster than a typical cloth pad but it's consistent and not too fast to control. It also holds up really well over time and it easy to clean due to the type of fabric used.

I can also confirm that while the MP510 feels "rough" to the touch so to speak, it's not abrasive in any way. It doesn't cause me any discomfort. While the MP510 and Scabbard both use Cordura fabric, their characteristics are slightly different, I would say the MP510 is more of a control type while the Scabbard feels faster.

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD

Last edited by Zammin; 07-14-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 PM
mfw

It also holds up really well over time and it easy to clean due to the type of fabric used.
Out of curiosity, how have you been cleaning yours?

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Out of curiosity, how have you been cleaning yours?
I just use a fairly damp microfiber cloth and scrub it, then wipe it down with a dry one and repeat until dirt stops coming off onto the cloth and the pad looks clean. Dirt doesn't seem to penetrate the material so most of it wipes off the top fairly easily.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 AM
mfw

I just use a fairly damp microfiber cloth and scrub it, then wipe it down with a dry one and repeat until dirt stops coming off onto the cloth and the pad looks clean. Dirt doesn't seem to penetrate the material so most of it wipes off the top fairly easily.
I haven't needed to clean mine yet, but I guess I will have to eventually. I'll use your method.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in