Mousetester 1000hz polling rate benchmarking - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Mousetester 1000hz polling rate benchmarking

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Mousetester 1000hz polling rate benchmarking

I've been looking into this program to check certain mouses polling rates and compare it with 500hz as well. Ive been seeing nice graphs which compare these but I cannot replicate these bell shaped graphs, any way I can create such a graph? Or if any other idea on how to benchmark these better I would love to know

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/...76_K9Fnjtm.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Capsaicin Addict

Rep: 35 (Unique: 25)
- Open Mousetester, click "Log Start" move the mouse at a steady but fast speed in a circle motion for as long as you want to record it.
- Press "Log Stop" once you are done.
- Click on "Plot" , select "Frequency vs time" and exclude the not so clean parts with the "Data Point Start/End".

If you move the mouse at an inconsistent or too slow pace (or at a speed faster than the max tracking speed of your sensor), the result will not be accurate.

The bell curved "xvelocity vs time" graph doesn't have anything to do with the polling rate. It can be replicated by doing a single fast swipe left to right on the x axis. After clicking the "collect" button and doing the swipe while holding "m1" , then again cut the start and endpoint to make it look clean. That one is meant to figure out the max tracking speed or any tracking inconsistencies. So in the example i have provided the sensor has had no issues reading up to over 5m/s. The last one shows a sensor that fails just shy of 1m/s.

I have added some examples. There is so much more you can do with this software, but i don't have enough insight on fully explaining everything. There are people here in this forum who have way more knowledge. Check out this thread and ask further questions there. https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...-reloaded.html . If you want to go even deeper in terms of polling rate. And test polling precision, then i recommend this thread https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...precision.html . But it is

Have fun and test away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poll.png
Views:	9
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	295450  

Name:	mod.png
Views:	6
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	295452  

Name:	fail.png
Views:	5
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	295454  

Last edited by James N; 09-14-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:52 AM
vf-
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Is there any mouse that has a very tight 1000Hz graph?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Capsaicin Addict

Rep: 35 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by vf- View Post
Is there any mouse that has a very tight 1000Hz graph?
There are differences but it has also to do with how well your system is optimized towards polling precision.

Most gaming grade mice "should" be close enough to each other and perform more or less the same. The most terrible one for me in terms of polling precision was my old Steelseries Rival that one was just not stable on any refresh rate (could have been just my copy though).

If you can't/don't want to bother with it, 500hz is generally more stable and will feel better than 1000hz on not optimized systems (if you are sensitive to it). Personally i also got the best results on dark one coloured mousepads. Once again , check this thread out https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...precision.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in