Unpopular opinion: Ultra lightweight mice and split button designs are overrated - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Unpopular opinion: Ultra lightweight mice and split button designs are overrated

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Unpopular opinion: Ultra lightweight mice and split button designs are overrated

Title.

Everything up to 85~g is perfectly fine and going to low hurts my ability to aim precisely. Personally I wish my O- was 8~10g heavier.

There are no massive benefits to have the buttons seperated from the shell but a lot of negatives like extreme wobble or flex (looking at you, MM710). Sure, seperated buttons can be very good and have very light clicks (looking at you, Logitech) but non-seperated buttons can be extremely good too if the shell isn't too thick. My now sold DM3 went from stiff to very light and crisp clicks after sanding down the shell (google zowie clicks mod).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ephant View Post
Title.

Everything up to 85~g is perfectly fine and going to low hurts my ability to aim precisely. Personally I wish my O- was 8~10g heavier.

There are no massive benefits to have the buttons seperated from the shell but a lot of negatives like extreme wobble or flex (looking at you, MM710). Sure, seperated buttons can be very good and have very light clicks (looking at you, Logitech) but non-seperated buttons can be extremely good too if the shell isn't too thick. My now sold DM3 went from stiff to very light and crisp clicks after sanding down the shell (google zowie clicks mod).
Seen more instances than not where the split-button design on mice didn't cause any amount of button wobbling that bothered me. Never used the MM710, though. I've yet to find a mouse which buttons felt better without a split-button design than ones I've used that do, but some people prefer harder-to-push buttons.

Personally, I'm glad the whole lightweight mice thing is the new thing. Tons of great mice on the market, now. ;D

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Clown cursor

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Even 100+g mouses are fine. Mx518 and Intellimouse are awesome despite being 101 and 105 grams respectively. Also Mx518 has non-seperated buttons and they are still one of the best buttons on the market.
Lightweight mouses are overrated indeed.

PEKA
(20 items)
CPU
i7-6700K @ 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
Hard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 525GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Power Supply
Chieftec APS-650C
Cooling
Corsair H105 + Noctua NF-F12
Case
Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Black
Monitor
BenQ XL2411T
Keyboard
Vortex Poker II
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless
Mouse
Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse
Mouse
Logitech G900
Mousepad
Artisan FX HIEN XL black
Audio
ASUS Xonar U7
Audio
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio
HyperX Cloud Core
Audio
iPod Classic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ephant View Post
Title.

Opinions like this remind of those who railed against horseless carriages at the turn of the century. I can make it just fine from point A to point B with my horse, why would I ever want to drive a car? And yes, this is hyperbolic, but citing some random cutoff point at 85g is just ridiculously stupid. Weight reduction is objectively a benefit because the laws of physics unrelentingly exist, and we don’t know when those returns actually diminish. Anyone saying differently is exercising their subjective opinion, which adds absolutely nothing of significance to the discussion.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Mouse lover

Rep: 110 (Unique: 77)
Ultralight I can agree with, but split buttons is nice - even aesthetically.

As for weight, I'm totally fine with 80 to 92g
I just don't like visible holes in a mouse, but there is a reason for very low weight mice and they do benefit certain aim styles/sensitivities for sure
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 551 (Unique: 312)
i'm waiting for someone to make a mouse with a much more forward mounted sensor to test this theory going around in the mouse community that the more forward the sensor, the more likely your accuracy will be accurate. I've seen a few where the sensor is slightly more forward, but still not as far forward as my vertical office mouse.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
My old Kone Pure was 91g (with wire) and it was awesome. I dont think they make them anymore. One of the best wheels ever on a mouse as well and the software was awesome. They probably messed that up as well.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:14 PM
mfw

Rep: 391 (Unique: 203)
Quote: Originally Posted by hotrodkungfury View Post
Opinions like this remind of those who railed against horseless carriages at the turn of the century. I can make it just fine from point A to point B with my horse, why would I ever want to drive a car? And yes, this is hyperbolic, but citing some random cutoff point at 85g is just ridiculously stupid. Weight reduction is objectively a benefit because the laws of physics unrelentingly exist, and we don’t know when those returns actually diminish. Anyone saying differently is exercising their subjective opinion, which adds absolutely nothing of significance to the discussion.
This. There's really no way around physics. I've gotten used to the weight on my Odin, and now I'm thinking "well, I could use a lighter mouse."

People get used to a lot of things, and the weight of a mouse is one of them - but that in no way invalidates the fact that inertia isn't ideal.

I've come to terms with the notion that it'll be a while before we see mice the size of mine with a significant reduction in mass, so there's nothing I could buy right now that would have an impact on my accuracy. However, I'm sure I'd very much notice anything 85g and above.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 10-04-2019 at 05:17 PM.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by hotrodkungfury View Post
I'm not "citing some random cutoff point at 85g". I'm talking about personal experience. Lowering the weight doesn't make things more precise/accurate.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i can agree with split buttons being overrated but i'm really liking the O-, so i like the lightweight thing for now. i prefer unsplit buttons because accidental clicks have so far only happened with split button mice that i own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in