How to get old Intellimouse2.1A ball mouse working in win10? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to get old Intellimouse2.1A ball mouse working in win10?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
b1_
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
How to get old Intellimouse2.1A ball mouse working in win10?

I have an old PS2 Intellimouse 2.1A ball mouse I would like to revive in Windows 10.

My new computer has no PS2 port so I am using an active PS2-to-USB adapter to plug the Intellimouse 2.1A in. It works without loading any drivers or software but it has extremely low sensitivity - in game I need to swipe across my mouse pad several times just to turn 180degrees, and turning up sens makes it jerky and unusable.

I checked the mouse rate here: https://zowie.benq.com/en/support/mo...e-checker.html. This site reports it at 60Hz (to compare, my Logitech G-Pro Hero Wired mouse reports 1000Hz).

What more do I need to do to get it to a usable state in FPS games? Do I need to hack the polling rate somehow or is it just not possible? Can I use Sweetlow's USB overclocking app (https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...g-2000-hz.html) or is this only for USB mice not PS2-being-converted-to-USB mice like mine?

(The reason I want this old mouse working is I want to try the shape out again before deciding on a new mouse. I currently have my old Intelli, the Logitech G-Pro Hero wired and the Zowie EC2-A. The Zowie I don't like the shape, and the Logitech G-Pro Hero's middle-mouse button has died after only 6-months use and it tended to lift on me anyway so I'm looking for something else.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
That thing is probably 200dpi, certainly no more than 400. you can't overclock it, that's just for some older optical mice. I happen to like the shape too, and had a sensor swap in the similar 1.3a shell. I'd link you the files, but it's a money pit and a steep learning curve. just get another mouse and move on.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
b1_
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Please link any files or pics you can. I'd definitely be interested.

I used a program called Ps2rate back in the day to increase the default polling and that worked great. It would be a shame if there was no such software for Win10, having got the mouse working but not being able to use it because of this last hurdle.

The Intelli beats both the G-Pro Hero and the EC2-A asfaik. For starters it's still working after 25 years and my fancy optical 1000Hz G-Pro Hero has only lasted 6 months. I've also tried a few simple tests to compare mice:

1. The Lift Test
Apply thumb and finger to either side of the mouse and apply pressure - if the mouse pops up off the mouse pad it's a fail (this means just moving the mouse around on the mouse pad it will sometimes lift off, freezing your on-screen play).

2. The Fire-Button-Moves-the-Mouse test
Stick your pointer finger out and bring it down perpendicular to the mouse pad onto the left-mouse-button (the fire button) - if the mouse shoots out from under your pointer finger it's a fail (this means that in the act of firing using the LMB will create micro-movements of the mouse which is particularly troublesome when you have a long-distance shot and your opponent is only a few pixels)

My G-Pro Hero fails test 1 very badly; and my EC2-A fails test 2 very badly. My old Intellimouse2.1A passes both these tests easily no matter how much pressure I apply.

The Intelli's shape is also great, being ergonomic and filling the palm, and yet at the same time giving room to move inside the palm (my grip is claw/palm hybrid; I use inverted mouse which requires room in the back of the palm; I have a 19.5cm hand). It's probably not perfect - I never even liked the bulge on the side - but compared to what's on offer these days shape-wise I still think it's better than most for hands my size. (Edit: Note I have a completely different opinion of the old Intellimouse with bulge that did not have the comfort grooves in the buttons, I think they made a huge difference).

So far I've looked into many mouse (over 50) and found none that fit the bill - it's like mouse manufacturer's have forgotten how to make a decent mouse; or think that all there is to a mouse is the sensor.

The new Mastermouse M710 is about the closest I've found to what I'm after, but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by b1_; 11-12-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
The easiest version I did was based on this and there should be photos in that thread of similar builds :

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...l#post26323358

It's all through hole construction. cost is about €120 in parts
The scroll wheel can be handled by pressing a length of allen key into the wheel axle. I wired up the optical wheel but it only worked for a little while after which i abandoned it, it's better to replace the button pcb with one which can accept an alps ec10 mechanical encoder. here are the files for the button pcb. I expect them to be dimensionally correct because they are a cut down version of a later pcb i size tested in the shell.

https://github.com/itsnoteasy/misc/tree/master/buttons

you're more or less following the instructions in this video, but without wiring up side buttons.

This later pcb is surface mount construction. cost is around €40 for this. it's a one piece low weight pcb which won't suffer from broken wires. I hired a guy to assemble it because I can't solder well but never heard back. It maybe possible to hire an assembly service but I think those require stencils which are beyond my skill level.

https://github.com/itsnoteasy/misc/t...mouse8onethree

this pcb is backward compatible with the original firmware but there is alternative firmware with extra features.
The pcb also fits the wmo and io1.1 shells, so it's not wasted money if you tire of the shape.

Last edited by gipetto; 11-13-2019 at 03:39 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 04:08 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rep: 43 (Unique: 35)
That's honestly how it's supposed to work. A ball mouse like yours in particular actually does feel that slow these days. You can raise in-game sens or use accel, depending on your preference.
A higher polling rate will not help much. 80Hz is the default polling rate on a PS/2 port, I guess you get 60Hz because of the adapter. The max you could push a PS/2 port back then was 200Hz. You will need a proper PS/2 port to be able to do anything of that sort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in