The most complex and illusive PC/Hardware issue I have ever encountered. Mouse/Keyboard input lag related - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The most complex and illusive PC/Hardware issue I have ever encountered. Mouse/Keyboard input lag related

post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
The most complex and illusive PC/Hardware issue I have ever encountered. Mouse/Keyboard input lag related

This problem has been the most difficult to diagnose issue I have ever seen or heard of on a PC. Thought I might get some insight (hopeful) as no one that has the issue has been able to find a real solution as of yet. I anticipate many people will doubt my experiences and the symptoms I have observed. I would doubt someone saying the same things that I am if my PC functioned properly however I have seen what Ive seen and know it is real. For those that are willing to believe what me and others have said on this subject- thank you.

Symptoms:

Input lag across the board in both games and windows, both mouse and keyboard inputs are inconsistent and change over time. At times the dpi increments on my mouse hardly change the sensitivity, other times it adjusts a ton. The monitor display suffers hitches, and micro stutters, of the same varying consistency. Makes game play at 140fps and below look and feel like 60 or lower. Internet webpages load in slowly (blocks of the page load in at a time), you tube videos and twitch buffer at random times with no packet loss. At times the lag is minimal at times its unbearable. The input lag and video hitches seem entirely inconsistent however I have found that nearly any hardware state change/software change can affect it to varying degrees. Everyday, even every hour my mouse feels and tracks differently. Now the really interesting stuff: Practically any hardware/software setting or change I can make to my system will alter the behavior of the mouse/keyboard inputs. Keyboard input is possibly the easiest way to tell as I can change different settings and holding down keys in windows search bar spits the characters out at different speeds. I have posted around many forums and seen many others with the same issue being told its placebo however this is simply not the case. I know a properly functioning PC should not behave this way but my system and others do.

Things I have tried:

3 different PC's (completely different specs) 3 different monitors (120hz, 144hz, 240hz) 5 different mice (Logitech G-Pro x2 models , Razer Deathadder x3 models) 3 different mousepads 3 different keyboards Using different circuits and configurations around the house. (some work better than others, however input lag is still present) Different power strips, power conditioners Tested for outlet grounding with 3 pronged tester.

Things that change the mouse/keyboard behavior and monitors display quality:

Moving the monitor/router/modems/pcs power cord to different outlets, different power strips etc. Note: My Wi-Fi does not even work if my router/modem are on the same outlet/power strip- the signal shows up but no connection. Changing which USB ports the keyboard/mice are plugged into. Applying tinfoil to any power cord, or mice/keyboard USB cables. Applying Ferrite (can mitigate electrical interference) beads to any of the above cords. Changing nearly any BIOS/Windows 10 settings. Adjusting GPU fan/power settings. Adjusting nearly any settings in NVIDIA control panel change the mouse behavior. Applying overclocks, disabling all OCs/turbo/speedstep. Adjusting/propping up the GPU (seems like the positioning changes mouse behavior heavily). Changing case fan profiles- usually lowering fan speed/power is better. Monitor settings (brightness, color, resolution). Placing phone onto the PC case (doubles mouse sensitivity immediately). Changing where the router/modem is or moving the power cords. Separating all cables from each other.

Now the confusing part. All of these problems happens along with some very peculiar wifi issues in the home. To summarize the way in which my router/modem are plugged in (different powerstrips, plug orientation) affect the quality and behaivor of my wifi. Because of this I decided to explore the possibility of my ethernet cable being the source or my PC problems as well. I contacted the ISP to send a guy out- they did and he got a reading on the cable drop for large voltage spikes. He said that the coaxial cable had voltage leeching onto it using the ISP ground block as a path of least resistance. Told me to contact the power company as it was on their end. Well I readup on some similar issues on cable forums and contacted an electrician about a possible loose neutral in the home just to verify it was not from in home faulty wiring, or a television backfeeding voltage or something. He told me the house was good to go and said that the issue was definitely power company. Well I called the power company and they sent out a tech while I was at work and supposedly they fixxed somthing, but the wifi still behaves erratically and of course my PC still suffers this issue. So I took a measurement of the coax cable and found there is still fluctuating voltage on the shielding (measured shielding to ground). Well I am in contact with the power company to hear the official report of what the tech even did here. I did however in the meantime head to a rental our family owns and tested the PC there. Booted up my PC and although my inputs seemed slightly better I could tell they were still messed up. Then I started testing the things Ive tried before- ferrite beads on cables, changing around the power configuration (moving outlet for monitor etc) and any BIOS changes and found that my mouse behaivor is still changing.

Before all of this I thought it has to be something with my houses wiring (floating neutral/ground) or a ground loop being created somewhere, raising the noise floor in the system which in turns causes data loss. However now I am just considering that my PC was damaged in some way that produces these results. Since testing at the 2nd house I have swapped out GPU, RAM, and SSD and my rig functions the exact same. I am not sure if this is a combination of hardware/software bugs or what. If my rig was truly damaged I would think that I would see much more serious affects. All I know is my PC is not functioning properly. There are many others out there with nearly the exact same symptoms (on completely different systems, in completely different parts of the world) but none of them have found a proper solution, just more things that change the behaivor for a time. The input lag always comes back and mouse/keyboard behavior is totally inconsistent. At times it operates nearly perfectly but not for long. Now I have posted my own threads plenty enough as well as read many on this very issue. People tend to say this is placebo, or we are insane to think its possible for all this to be happening. Well I cannot convince you beyond saying that I am fully aware how crazy of an issue it would have to be to transcend entirely different PCs or houses, however the truth is I and others have observed this very behaivor beyond doubt. Many of us questioned ourselves, but when you find that you can actually change the inputs behaivor yourself by doing certain things software/hardware side, you realize how very real it is. Anyway thanks for your time and if you have any doubts that there are others out there with this I recommend you read some of the linked threads below.

Some other threads/docs relating to the issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-1b1c36e71645

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...10itprogeneral

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...em-bounty.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...lag-mouse.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...-response.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...ouse_movement/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...lag_and_other/

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...ter-while.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...onsistent_and/

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...-hardware.html - Note: R0ach is seen as a bit of a meme on OC.net because of his hypochondriac ways regarding his BIOS and PC optimizations. I have concluded however that he is experiencing the same issue as the rest of us and just believes it to be normal behaivor when in reality his PC is just like ours, displaying completely inconsistent inputs.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...problem-5.html

https://community.amd.com/thread/235028

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...illing-me/309/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ges-input-lag/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...r_NfEdAnjTAII/

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...ssues-in-House

Last edited by CrucialNUG; 11-20-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 05:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 84)
You might want to advise a mod to delete the, at least three other identical posts, you created in other sections of this forum. I noticed you did not say anything about possible malware/viruses/technomage infections. Have you been infected? Severe wifi external interference?

Big Blue
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard
P8P67 DELUXE
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
RAM
G.Skill
Hard Drive
Western Digital WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Power Supply
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT 775W
Cooling
SWIFTECH H20-320 EDGE HD APOGEE HD WATER BLOCK
Case
APEVIA X JUPITER S TYPE METALLIC BLUE
Operating System
WIN7 64bit
Monitor
ASUS VE258Q
Mouse
RAZER DEATHADDER 3500dpi
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Other
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB for OS
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 05:17 PM
OG AMD

Rep: 588 (Unique: 461)
Quote: Originally Posted by essanbee View Post
You might want to advise a mod to delete the, at least three other identical posts, you created in other sections of this forum. I noticed you did not say anything about possible malware/viruses/technomage infections. Have you been infected? Severe wifi external interference?

Severe wifi external interference

^This +1. Could even be a flourescent lightbulb near by.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 05:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
i'm going to be brutally honest: more than anything, it sounds like you have schizophrenia.

if you're really sure that you have three completely different computers all bizarrely malfunctioning and displaying drastically different input times, try validating your theory experimentally. modern mobile phones can record 960FPS video - do some button-to-pixel input lag tests at various parts of the day, or whenever you feel like the input lag has changed. if it turns out that the measurements are all pretty much the same, well, PEBKAC.

the only explanation that would even kind of make sense for what you're describing is that some kind of malware is installed on all of your computers. having bad electrical wiring would not cause what you describe. if it happens even after a reformat w/ internet disconnected, very probably a PEBKAC issue.

Last edited by NDUS; 11-17-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Infected? I have tested this on multiple PCs and dozens of reformat. As far as the wifi external interference, why would a light bulb affect the wifi and PC behavior?
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 05:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 58)
Quote: Originally Posted by CrucialNUG View Post
Everyday, even every hour my mouse feels and tracks differently.
Ok, so? And you're attributing this to the notion of inconsistent lag of machines? Static friction, environment temperature, your own temperament, different games, mouse feet, hand temperature, ALL are attributes (there's probably more) to how mouse movement can feel.

3 different PC's (completely different specs) 3 different monitors (120hz, 144hz, 240hz) 5 different mice (Logitech G-Pro x2 models , Razer Deathadder x3 models) 3 different mousepads 3 different keyboards Using different circuits and configurations around the house. (some work better than others, however input lag is still present)
lol. ok? input lag will always be a thing, from your gpu processing, monitor processing, cpu processing, mouse/kb signal processing, and finally your human reaction time.

R0ach is seen as a bit of a meme on OC.net because of his hypochondriac ways regarding his BIOS and PC optimizations. I have concluded however that he is experiencing the same issue as the rest of us
You want to be a meme too?

Funny thing is, that r0ach dude wrote all that crap he did, but still used a 60hz monitor (stubbornly so) while there were faster solutions at the time. Doesn't help his credibility.

find a real solution
Yes, i have a real solution: Just chill out dude... If you have a modern GPU/CPU setup set to low latency, and a performance 240hz TN panel (with frame rates actually hitting 240), whatever lag you think you're perceiving is in your head.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well like I said I knew people would showup calling me schizophrenic and trying to tell me its all in my head. I fully realize environmental factors can affect the "feel" in the way you say. That level of input lag is not at all what I am referring to here, I am speaking about input lag that is much more pronounced than any of that. Anyway its clear you would rather call me crazy than even entertain the idea that there is a real issue here so carry on.

Last edited by CrucialNUG; 11-17-2019 at 06:01 PM.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 58)
Well like I said I knew people would showup calling me schizophrenic and trying to tell me its all in my head. I fully realize environmental factors can affect the "feel" in the way you say. That level of input lag is not at all what I am referring to here, I am speaking about input lag that is much more pronounced than any of that. Anyway its clear you would rather call me crazy than even entertain the idea that there is a real issue here so carry on.
Well if you do not want us to perceive you that way, then by all means record and send us some super high frame rate recordings attributing to the input latency you are describing, as said by post #4 in this thread.

Cuz right now, it just seems you're stating the obvious issues that everyone has that no one can do anything about due to the limitations of our hardware. Unless you actually have a discernible amount of input latency that is a lot higher than the norm, then please show us that via a video or a form of test.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM
News Fiend

Threads merged, please contain the discussion here.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 84)
Infected? I have tested this on multiple PCs and dozens of reformat. As far as the wifi external interference, why would a light bulb affect the wifi and PC behavior?

Incandescent and LED bulbs can effect your wifi router. Any unshielded wiring really.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+wifi+signa%27

Big Blue
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard
P8P67 DELUXE
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
RAM
G.Skill
Hard Drive
Western Digital WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Power Supply
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT 775W
Cooling
SWIFTECH H20-320 EDGE HD APOGEE HD WATER BLOCK
Case
APEVIA X JUPITER S TYPE METALLIC BLUE
Operating System
WIN7 64bit
Monitor
ASUS VE258Q
Mouse
RAZER DEATHADDER 3500dpi
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Other
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB for OS
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
input lag , mouse lag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in