mouse responsiveness help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

mouse responsiveness help

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
mouse responsiveness help

Hi guys.

I've noticed my headphones/soundcards etc. makes MASSIVE difference on my mouse responsiveness. e.g. when I use the hyperX usb soundcard for my headphones, my mouse is obviously still good, but if I just use my soundcard in the pc instead of the USB one, the responsiveness is much much smoother, but then my microphone doesnt work.

Obviously both my soundcards are related to USB - which my mouse also is, so I'm guessing the clash starts there.

Do you have any special settings for USB? I have default windows 10.

I dont really lag or anything, one option is just much more responsive than the other. Easier to aim and flick accurately etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aymanb View Post
Hi guys.

I've noticed my headphones/soundcards etc. makes MASSIVE difference on my mouse responsiveness. e.g. when I use the hyperX usb soundcard for my headphones, my mouse is obviously still good, but if I just use my soundcard in the pc instead of the USB one, the responsiveness is much much smoother, but then my microphone doesnt work.

Obviously both my soundcards are related to USB - which my mouse also is, so I'm guessing the clash starts there.

Do you have any special settings for USB? I have default windows 10.

I dont really lag or anything, one option is just much more responsive than the other. Easier to aim and flick accurately etc.

One thing I can think of quickly is to get a USB 3.0 Hub connect that to PC then connect your audio ***** and the problem will probably be solved.

CPU
INTEL 10980XE @ NO STOCK
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X299X AORUS MASTER
GPU
GIGABYTE WF RTX 2080
RAM
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB @ 64GB 3200 CL16 QUAD CHANNEL B-DIE
Hard Drive
CORSAIR MP510 960GB M.2 GEN 3 SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 500GB 850 PRO 500GB CRUCIAL M4 500GB LaCie EXTERNAL 2TB PORSCHE DESIGN & 500GB eSATA
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1600i TITANIUM @ CORSAIR 330r BLACKOUT EDITION CASE
Cooling
CORSAIR H115i PRO RGB @ NOCTUA NF-14's INTAKE NF-14 EXHAUST NF-P12
Monitor
AOC 40" CURVED 4k LG 55" C9 OLED G-SYNC 120HZ
Keyboard
LOGITECH 915 LINEAR WIRELESS
Mouse
LOGITECH G PRO WIRELESS
Mousepad
STEELSERIES SMALL
Audio
LOGITECH G935 WIRELESS SCARLETT 2i2 AUDIO INTERFACE KRK ROKITS 10" & SENNHEISER HD 650 & 4.5.0 BTNC SL GRAND 88 Sonar Producer
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Turtle Rig View Post
One thing I can think of quickly is to get a USB 3.0 Hub connect that to PC then connect your audio ***** and the problem will probably be solved.
Any usb 3.0 hub? or does it need special features?

What about if my keyboard has an USB input. Wouldnt that work as a "hub" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 08:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
99% of the time this kind of thing is placebo. Use mousetester with your onboard audio and your audio card, and if there is no difference, there you go.
If you find a difference, you could try putting your audio card into MSI mode - it is conceivable that your onboard mobo audio would be in MSI while your audio card wouldn't.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aymanb View Post
Any usb 3.0 hub? or does it need special features?

What about if my keyboard has an USB input. Wouldnt that work as a "hub" ?

Get Anker 4 port hub.. only 7 bucks. Things start not playing nice as they share the same ***** USB connection with system. Try a different port or front port. Also as I said then Anker 4 port 2 feet cable,, I got two of them.

CPU
INTEL 10980XE @ NO STOCK
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X299X AORUS MASTER
GPU
GIGABYTE WF RTX 2080
RAM
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB @ 64GB 3200 CL16 QUAD CHANNEL B-DIE
Hard Drive
CORSAIR MP510 960GB M.2 GEN 3 SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 500GB 850 PRO 500GB CRUCIAL M4 500GB LaCie EXTERNAL 2TB PORSCHE DESIGN & 500GB eSATA
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1600i TITANIUM @ CORSAIR 330r BLACKOUT EDITION CASE
Cooling
CORSAIR H115i PRO RGB @ NOCTUA NF-14's INTAKE NF-14 EXHAUST NF-P12
Monitor
AOC 40" CURVED 4k LG 55" C9 OLED G-SYNC 120HZ
Keyboard
LOGITECH 915 LINEAR WIRELESS
Mouse
LOGITECH G PRO WIRELESS
Mousepad
STEELSERIES SMALL
Audio
LOGITECH G935 WIRELESS SCARLETT 2i2 AUDIO INTERFACE KRK ROKITS 10" & SENNHEISER HD 650 & 4.5.0 BTNC SL GRAND 88 Sonar Producer
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
I had a similar situation. Needed a way to use my Antlion Modmic microphone (3.5mm connector)

- Onboard Realtek controller on the motherboard made mouse feel laggy as hell, so that was a no go.
- Bought a cheap SABRENT USB audio dongle and simply plugging that audio dongle into my system caused laggy feel, so that was a no go.

In the end I just gave up on using the Antlion Modmic and started using a Samson Meteor mic (also USB) I had laying around and that works flawlessly.

Still don't know the cause to this day lol.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 168 (Unique: 109)
Quote: Originally Posted by NDUS View Post
99% of the time this kind of thing is placebo.
No, it is not "placebo". Any USB junk you plug in besides the mouse itself, the worse mouse movement gets. The mouse - a real-time, mission critical device - should have it's own interface instead of being lumped in to some poorly thought out expansion port populated by all kinds of junk, much of which doesn't even require real-time performance.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
No, it is not "placebo". Any USB junk you plug in besides the mouse itself, the worse mouse movement gets. The mouse - a real-time, mission critical device - should have it's own interface instead of being lumped in to some poorly thought out expansion port populated by all kinds of junk, much of which doesn't even require real-time performance.
Windows is not a real time operating system. There is no setting you can change or interface you can use to make it one, you'd have to completely rewrite the OS. Besides, interrupt endpoints already have priority in the USB stack; even if you have some massive file transfer from a thumb drive completely filling the pipe, it's still going to check the mouse input first in each USB frame.

Last edited by TranquilTempest; 12-22-2019 at 11:51 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 168 (Unique: 109)
Quote: Originally Posted by TranquilTempest View Post
Windows is not a real time operating system. There is no setting you can change or interface you can use to make it one, you'd have to completely rewrite the OS. Besides, interrupt endpoints already have priority in the USB stack; even if you have some massive file transfer from a thumb drive completely filling the pipe, it's still going to check the mouse input first in each USB frame.
Yes, we all know Windows is not a real-time OS. That doesn't mean performance isn't degraded by loading up the USB ports with junk. If your age is like 20, in the old days I seem to recall many people's PC couldn't even handle things like 1000 hz polling rate - maybe even 500hz too, but I forget - so the original USB draft probably didn't even intend to support things like that. Stop making up excuses for a hardware and OS software industry who only really cares about performance of things like webservers even though video games are a bazillion dollar industry now. Mice should have their own interface period.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
Yes, we all know Windows is not a real-time OS. That doesn't mean performance isn't degraded by loading up the USB ports with junk. If your age is like 20, in the old days I seem to recall many people's PC couldn't even handle things like 1000 hz polling rate - maybe even 500hz too, but I forget - so the original USB draft probably didn't even intend to support things like that. Stop making up excuses for a hardware and OS software industry who only really cares about performance of things like webservers even though video games are a bazillion dollar industry now. Mice should have their own interface period.
You're demanding something that won't fix the problem, because you're assigning blame on the USB interface, rather than on windows itself, which is where the blame actually lies. USB with 1ms polling is already lower latency than PS/2, just because the transfer rate of PS/2 is slow enough it takes longer than 1ms to send a single report.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in