Mouse stalls on computer when moving mouse fast irl, any fixes? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Mouse stalls on computer when moving mouse fast irl, any fixes?

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Mouse stalls on computer when moving mouse fast irl, any fixes?

So basically I have a mouse that I really like, but it just has one problem, when I move from position A to position B irl really quickly, it doesn't move the mouse on the computer; though works fine if I go slower. It's as if the sensor can't register higher speeds. Now, I have another mouse that can register quick movements fine (but it's got other design problems), so I unscrewed both of them and looked at the sensor chip, they look really similiar. Could I just swap the sensor chips by just resoldering them? Would that fix it or is this issue a firmware issue? Or does the problem lie on a different chip? Or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:04 AM
Mehehe!

Rep: 86 (Unique: 50)
What mouse is it? Sensors have a max tracking speed, after which they stop or "skip" (looking at ceiling or ground in games) when reaching it.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
you can't swap the chip because there's usually specific firmware on another chip. you can swap the whole pcb though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by CorruptBE View Post
What mouse is it? Sensors have a max tracking speed, after which they stop or "skip" (looking at ceiling or ground in games) when reaching it.
It is a kensington expert mouse, it's a trackball but uses the same components/technology as regular mice, just a different layout to accomodate the different design e.g. buttons or a scroll ring.

I have an older trackball mouse that has a better sensor (starts jittering instead, but the "max tracking speed" is much higher, so I would REALLY have to spin the ball to get it to screw up), but is worse in every other way. So I was just wondering if I could just replace the sensors between the two mice? Would that work? Or is it a firmware issue? In which case I have some debugging experience, is there a way to increase the threshhold?

Also, I've noticed that the two sensors are extremely similiar, just slight differences in some parts having corners instead of edges, so I am not too sure if this would make a difference in replacing them.

Quote: Originally Posted by gipetto View Post
you can't swap the chip because there's usually specific firmware on another chip. you can swap the whole pcb though.
I am open to swapping the PCB, but I have no idea where I would even get replacement parts for that. The mouse case is pretty big and sparse, so I think I have good leway with what I can put in it. Is there some place I could buy good PCB parts for mice and be able to customise the button layout? Or maybe a website that can print mice PCBs + button layout?
Also, is there perhaps a way to change the "max tracking speed" in the firmware?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

there are parts and firmware readily available to upgrade a mouse or trackball, although the cost would usually be more expensive than buying a new peripheral. you can look at this video to see how it is done
there's also the ploopy trackball which is linked on deskthority and other sites which may be of interest.

you ask can you swap sensors, i can assure you that it is 99% impossible to do so. for instance, many new mice use the same package sensor the pmw3389, pmw3360, pmw3366, truemove 3, all are made incompatible by the use of an encrypted srom firmware uploaded at boot. all these sensors are made by pixart which is why they share the package.

there is free software for overclocking sensors to increase their max speed called the sweetlow driver, for windows hosted on this site. it is only compatible with a few older mice though, usually those with ps2/usb support, or of that era.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by gipetto View Post
there are parts and firmware readily available to upgrade a mouse or trackball, although the cost would usually be more expensive than buying a new peripheral. you can look at this video to see how it is done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyb6M89QrWI
there's also the ploopy trackball which is linked on deskthority and other sites which may be of interest.

you ask can you swap sensors, i can assure you that it is 99% impossible to do so. for instance, many new mice use the same package sensor the pmw3389, pmw3360, pmw3366, truemove 3, all are made incompatible by the use of an encrypted srom firmware uploaded at boot. all these sensors are made by pixart which is why they share the package.

there is free software for overclocking sensors to increase their max speed called the sweetlow driver, for windows hosted on this site. it is only compatible with a few older mice though, usually those with ps2/usb support, or of that era.
Yes, I saw the plooby trackball, but not really a fan of it. My one is a custom modified Kensington expert mouse with BTUs instead of the standard bearings, which makes it extremely smooth, and as far as I know, no trackball uses BTUs, that's why I want to upgrade this one.

The sweetlow driver you speak of, that is for overclocking the Hz of the mouses' sensor, will it cover my stalling problem too? Are the two related?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

there's no way to know if it will work unless you try it out, but it hasn't been known to damage any hardware yet.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
You could try adapting to a higher sensitivity.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
He never told us what mouse he is using....

CPU
INTEL 10980XE @ NO STOCK
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X299X AORUS MASTER
GPU
GIGABYTE WF RTX 2080
RAM
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB @ 64GB 3200 CL16 QUAD CHANNEL B-DIE
Hard Drive
CORSAIR MP510 960GB M.2 GEN 3 SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 500GB 850 PRO 500GB CRUCIAL M4 500GB LaCie EXTERNAL 2TB PORSCHE DESIGN & 500GB eSATA
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1600i TITANIUM @ CORSAIR 330r BLACKOUT EDITION CASE
Cooling
CORSAIR H115i PRO RGB @ NOCTUA NF-14's INTAKE NF-14 EXHAUST NF-P12
Monitor
AOC 40" CURVED 4k LG 55" C9 OLED G-SYNC 120HZ
Keyboard
LOGITECH 915 LINEAR WIRELESS
Mouse
LOGITECH G PRO WIRELESS
Mousepad
STEELSERIES SMALL
Audio
LOGITECH G935 WIRELESS SCARLETT 2i2 AUDIO INTERFACE KRK ROKITS 10" & SENNHEISER HD 650 & 4.5.0 BTNC SL GRAND 88 Sonar Producer
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 01:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Turtle Rig View Post
He never told us what mouse he is using....
Read the fourth post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in