r0ach optimal computer hardware for mice Q&A 2020 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

r0ach optimal computer hardware for mice Q&A 2020

post #21 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 02:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by gene-z View Post
This guy is back to tell everyone he can feel a difference between idling 60μs and 30μs by disabling 80 bios options.

Seriously, stop wasting your time following this guys advice. Nobody is going to feel a difference between a few μs (microsecond) of improvement. You should only be worried about DPC latency if you have large spikes, your DPC is abnormally high, or you're having microstutter/audio dropouts. Stop chasing super low μs readouts in LatencyMon.

1ms = 1000μs
1μs =0.001ms

So lets say you score a large 200μs improvement, that's 0.2ms improvement. You really think you can feel that?

Here is the ultimate low latency guide 2020:

Enable high performance power plan
Disable G-Sync, enable low latency mode in driver
And if you wanna get crazy, release all of the cpu reserve:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
"SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000000
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Apparently there's now also a "Ultimate Performance Power Plan" that is designed to eliminate micro-latencies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Between this and the "phone on top of my case increases mouse sensitivity" guy, I don't know what's sillier.
Frankly I agree that its sillier than **** and yet it is still the case. I know my PC/mouse tracking should not behave the way it does and yet here I am. Others have this problem as well and its a myriad of things physical/software changes that affect it. Its truly an anomaly and I just want to use my PC as intended. Anyways I still believe roach and anyone else that has observed these settings affecting stuff is experiencing a same or very similar issue, and just do not realize it or assume it is normal. Its the same across multiple PCs because the cause is clearly external. Many of r0achs "tweaks" helped for me temporarily.

Last edited by CrucialNUG; 12-28-2019 at 08:58 PM.
post #23 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
I didn't even use the word input lag. There's plenty of computer settings that completely change your mouse movement while not having a real perceptible input lag effect from HPET, to message signal interrupt mode (MSI) on/off, to going into your device manager, click show hidden devices, then uninstalling everything in the printer section like "root print queue". Cursor speeds way the hell up after. Does it make any sense? No. But that's what happens.

I don't really recommend going into the device manager and wiping out all the greyed out devices like the printer section like this because a lot of them make the mouse feel abnormal afterwards or like you just added 200 DPI to your mouse for no reason. There's no explanation for any of it besides Windows is coded in terrible manner. It's the same thing with these BIOS implementations from various companies whether it's motherboards, 3rd party GPU makers, or the $9 an hour, outsourced to India, Boeing 737 designed to kamikaze straight into the ground and kill you. Just about all code is garbage

Yeah it makes no sense to me either. But ill tell you right now that it is not because of the hardware or software you are running. Try throwing some ferrite beads on your data cables/power cables. Watch as the mouse changes in the same manner that the uninstalling of devices in device manager does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 168 (Unique: 109)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
wait what? forcefully remove all my print queue stuff & my input latency will drop?
Stop trying to fake quotes from me. The post doesn't say anything about "input latency". It says if you go into device manager and click "show hidden devices" and uninstall everything that's greyed out like "root print queue" and "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator", your mouse cursor will feel stupidly fast for no reason like you just added 200 DPI to your mouse even though none of that stuff should have any effect on mouse movement, yet it does. Which is why I don't really recommend doing that.

It's greyed out so it shouldn't have an effect, yet altering random window settings that have nothing to do with mice has an enormous effect on mice - some in a positive way, many in a negative way. Many services are like that too. Windows is the equivalent of a Jenga cube where you just pull out one block and the entire thing implodes. Because all code is garbage. People make believe programmers are rocket scientists that have designed some type of perfect system, but it's more like random tasks outsourced to some guy in India that updates his section of the OS with some trial and error alpha code, notices it functions without the OS crashing, then just says, hmm, guess I'll leave that in.

Then someone else writes their own code doing something else that references his blackbox implementation that they have no idea what any of his code does, and nobody knows what is referencing what in the end, or what is doing something right and efficiently or what is doing something stupidly that affects tons of other things when it shouldn't. I know three programming languages myself, one completely deprecated (MEL - okay it's mostly a scripting language). If the entire thing isn't written by a single person from the ground up, it's bound to have all kinds of weird crap going on, and probably still will even if it is.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #25 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:10 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 656 (Unique: 350)
totally forgot ferrite beads were a thing... hmmm, i'm putting up a new desk this week, might as well choke all my cables! one on each end for good measure?

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #26 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
totally forgot ferrite beads were a thing... hmmm, i'm putting up a new desk this week, might as well choke all my cables! one on each end for good measure?
Not if you do not see the same random stuff in windows changing your mouse cursor. I am speaking to my specific issue that I would think is pretty rare. Furthermore it is not a fix in anyway, just another thing that changes the PCs behaivor. No this is not normal.
post #27 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

On the subject of ferrite chokes, I thought it was interesting this Endgame XM1 mouse I just bought to try out is the first mouse I recall buying having one. Possible some other older mice had them, but offhand I don't recall one. When I used to buy expensive NEC monitors, I noticed NEC included them on their DVI cables. Not sure what if any difference the chokes make in real world performance. Anyone have an explanation for why most HDMI cables I see don't have them but all the expensive DVI cables did? Do HDMI cables have more shielding as a default specification? Or do they just not give a damn?

Last edited by r0ach; 12-28-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #28 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:23 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 656 (Unique: 350)
yeah, I get it. It couldn't hurt though! Everything use to get ferrite beads back in the day. Hell, plenty of stuff still does. In fact, the stock power cable that came with my giant evga UPS has a yuuge choke on it.

as to on mice, I see it all the time with mid range & off brand stuff. in fact, the rip off G pro i have plugged into my shield has one.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #29 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
On the subject of ferrite chokes, I thought it was interesting this Endgame XM1 mouse I just bought to try out is the first mouse I recall buying having one. Possible some other older mice had them, but offhand I don't recall one. When I used to buy expensive NEC monitors, I noticed NEC included them on their DVI cables. Not sure what if any difference the chokes make.
You are misunderstanding. Under normal circumstances the chokes should make no difference whatsoever. However mine and your cables will have some heavy interference on them. The chokes will change the path of said transients. This in turn will then change your mouse tracking I would wager. It does for me and a few others who have my identical issue (inconsistency of inputs/mouse tracking/keyboard de sync etc).
post #30 of 759 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you claiming chokes are bad or good for mice? The entire purpose is to prevent the cord from acting like an antenna to prevent interference, so are you saying that they're a negative if you don't actually have rampant electromagnetic pollution?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in