Fried Logitech Trackman Wheel Optical - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Fried Logitech Trackman Wheel Optical

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Fried Logitech Trackman Wheel Optical

Recently snagged a Logitech from a thrift shop for $5. After cleaning a decent hairball of dog fur out of it, it worked well for about three weeks, then began to have issues. The mouse would disconnect randomly and only work if I held the wire at a certain angle. I opened it to check if the cable was the issue, and sure enough, the end was frayed under the heat shrink, which I had missed when first cleaning it. I had a second mouse (by a brand called "Genius") which had a broken scroll wheel, so I decided to see if the cables might be interchangeable. The connectors were the same, so I crossed my fingers and swapped them over. my computer made the USB connect sound, but then said it was unable to recognize the device. When I switched back to the original cable, the same happened. Is the mouse salvageable? I can solder decently, so if the only problem is a fried SMD component I should be able to fix it, but I didn't see any visible signs of failure on the PCB. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 11:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Check the USB connector. I have a USB drive and a wireless mouse receiver that died because the USB pins are cracked and not longer making good contact.
Use hydrogen peroxide to clean your trackball. It works great.

Small Brick
(7 items)
CPU
AMD 3600 3.80Ghz 1.00V
Motherboard
MSI B450I
GPU
RX480 1.40Ghz 1.25V
RAM
16GB 3.00Ghz 1.30V
Power Supply
750W Gold
Cooling
Water
Case
SilverStone SG13
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in