Slight mouse movements are not detected, not sure why but i think polling rate has to do something with it - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Slight mouse movements are not detected, not sure why but i think polling rate has to do something with it

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Slight mouse movements are not detected, not sure why but i think polling rate has to do something with it

I encounter the problem with many brand mice.
When i do a slight movement, or low movement, it is not detected and the cursor des not move.

I saw the polling rate fluctualte a lot. From 20 to 999

How to force the polling rate to a constant 500 or 999 ? So no movement is skipped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 170 (Unique: 111)
Tons of different things affect that cursor characteristic. Like having DDR3 running 1600 mhz CAS 9 will feel like the mouse has a much larger dead zone than CAS 7 1600mhz where it feels like movements are more instantly picked up. Dunno why it's that pronounced, but that's the way it is. Probably applies the same way to DDR4 and you would want something like CAS 14 3200.

If it's not something like that causing it, sometimes you can have a crappy ethernet or Nvidia driver that just brings a high noise floor to your system (usually in the form of DPC but not always), or they'll implement their driver to hog too much system resources where it's impossible for anything else to be responsive. Or the BIOS itself will implement something poorly and you can never fix it. There is no cure-all for dead cursor because it can be caused by numerous things.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 04:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 58)
Quote: Originally Posted by keento View Post

When i do a slight movement, or low movement, it is not detected and the cursor does not move.

How to force the polling rate to a constant 500 or 999 ? So no movement is skipped
You will never get a constant 500hz polling rate. Your polling rate is based on the amount of times it reports per second. If in 1 second you move slowly and move a little, why would your mouse measurement software report 500hz? It will most likely report like ~3hz.

As for the slight mouse movements not detected, I would like to see that in the form of a video demonstration.

Also, MarkC mouse fix available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 06:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by keento View Post

When i do a slight movement, or low movement, it is not detected and the cursor des not move.

In windows or a specific game? Some games have really trashy coding when it comes to mouse input. Free to play fps games usually screw up, especially when you combine low sensitivity with low cpi, they can't detect slow movements.

One game that comes to mind is Black Squad. Grap a sniper, zoom in and move your mouse really slowly. It doesn't detect those movements or only detects a few reports. This is not your hardwares/OS's fault.

If it's in windows, there is something wrong then, as i never had that happening even on cheap mice.

As already mentioned, if you don't move your mouse fast, there is nothing more to report than for example 20hz.

Last edited by Athrutep; 02-20-2020 at 06:39 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 06:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
What mouse is it, some sensors do that on the dirty part of the mousepad.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 01:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
I assume you have attempted to use different mouse mats/pads?

Just a dude trying to fix problems
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes, I used many mice and many mousepad.

But still the stutter. Some are worse than others.

The mouse cursor wont respond move I move it slowing or slightly, then it will "jump".

The said game is fortnite but it behave worst in "enemy territory".

Also it's worst under windows.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 21)
Mouse acceleration causes so that if you move it in circles slowly, it will actually travel towards top left corner.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Not a Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 43 (Unique: 33)
I saw your post on another thread, you simply don't understand how polling rate works. The mouse is being polled at 1000Hz, if there is no information there because it's moving slowly it will log lower numbers.
You can't force a thing that doesn't exist. If you are moving slowly the updates in mouse position from sensor to mcu will be slower. That's how a mouse works, try to wrap your head around it.

That said mice do have slight inaccuracies based on speed even if the are considered low srav (no acceleration in layman's terms). If the position moved is on the line between the physical, or logical, pixels in the array the mouse cannot detect on which side it's on so there is a slight deadzone inserted to avoid jitter between one position and another.
Surface, cpi, and framerate all play a part in this and if by any chance you're using a pte (or a viper at high cpi), well lol.

"a bad joint can't be that bad right?" -q
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 11:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

I was under the impression the mouse also decides how it reports, you can set the max report rate sure, but some mice have fixed frame rates, some use variable frame rate (see link below); like mine: g502 hero. (https://blog.logitech.com/2019/03/29/anatomy-of-a-hero/)

In my case, 1000hz will widely vary the hz reported in mouse movement recorder, regardless of dpi setting. Setting it to 500hz keeps the report rate higher with smaller movements. Try a lower report rate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in