Win 10 1909 "bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes" causes input lag - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Win 10 1909 "bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes" causes input lag

post #1 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Win 10 1909 "bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes" causes input lag

Hey i finally figured out what is causing my mouse to behave strangely when using "bcdedit /set useplatformtick true" on the new 1909 build. After disabling synthetic timers it starts screwing the timer resolution while watching youtube/twitch. So i checked what mousetester reports and the results confirmed my feeling.

Can someone else double check or know why that is(someone should be smart enough to know *** is going on without guessing)? Just open a youtube video or twitch stream in the background with disabled synthetic timers.

This is what happens, it feels horrible. I can only fix it by forcing the timer resolution with the tool to 0.5ms or by using "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformtick".

This hasn't been like this at all on my old 3770k system on pre 1909

Youtube in the back bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes

Youtube in the back bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformtick

So personally i will only be using bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformtick as with it enabled it screws things up, may it be the new win 10 build or the new hardware z390 9700k.

Last edited by Athrutep; 02-26-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 17)
Timers don't normally fluctuate that much and should be pretty stable, most apps request a specific value not multiple values. If you have standby list cleaner running as a service and it's also set to change/force your timer resolution a lot, that would be part of the cause. Otherwise browsers and games typically request a timer resolution of 1.0ms when they are playing media etc.

In brief windows only does what the installed apps tell it to do , you can use the command "powercfg -energy" report to tell you what programs are requesting what timer resolutions.

Last edited by Timecard; 02-26-2020 at 11:09 AM.
post #3 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Timecard View Post
Timers don't normally fluctuate that much and should be pretty stable, most apps request a specific value not multiple values. If you have standby list cleaner running as a service and it's also set to change/force your timer resolution a lot, that would be part of the cause. Otherwise browsers and games typically request a timer resolution of 1.0ms when they are playing media etc.

In brief windows only does what the installed apps tell it to do , you can use the command "powercfg -energy" report to tell you what programs are requesting what timer resolutions.
As mentioned with synthetic timers enabled everything is fine but as soon as i disable them, stuff goes wrong. So i guess disabling synthetic timers on the newest win release is effed up and you should use default settings. I will test it tomorrow on another older amd system where i have 1909 an 1803 installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:28 PM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 44 (Unique: 27)
A while ago I was running a GTX 1070, on stock platformclock setting I could see my GPU usage in NieR Automata sitting at 50-93% for no reason, the performance was obviously bad. After deleting that entry GPU usage went up to constant 99%, which resulted in a great FPS boost, I discovered that somewhere in December. Also, a friend of mine tried setting that value to true two days ago, according to him his system was wonky, laggy and just bonkers, all returned to normal after deleting that value.

PC for all
(21 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Iris Pro 6200
RAM
F3-2400C11D-16GAB Samsung Rev. Q
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Artcic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Cooling
Arctic P12 PWM x2
Cooling
Arctic P14 x4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Samsung C24FG73FQUX
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent + 1.6x6mm o-rings
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 600
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by BroadPwns View Post
A while ago I was running a GTX 1070, on stock platformclock setting I could see my GPU usage in NieR Automata sitting at 50-93% for no reason, the performance was obviously bad. After deleting that entry GPU usage went up to constant 99%, which resulted in a great FPS boost, I discovered that somewhere in December. Also, a friend of mine tried setting that value to true two days ago, according to him his system was wonky, laggy and just bonkers, all returned to normal after deleting that value.
Thanks for the feedback. I will test some more tomorrow.

In true oc fashion i renamed the thread to something appropriate to bring it more in line with recent threads titles

Last edited by Athrutep; 02-26-2020 at 05:17 PM.
post #6 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 06:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 170 (Unique: 111)
It's been known forcing useplatformclock on makes the system laggy as hell for 10+ years.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #7 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 06:30 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 176 (Unique: 91)
Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
It's been known forcing useplatformclock on makes the system laggy as hell for 10+ years.

Is it being used in Linux or is this a Windows affliction only?

Pure ignorant Linux wannabe user and looking forward to leaving Windows only on three machines in my household. The rest will have various versions of Linux and hoping that Gaming might be supported here.
post #8 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
yea but what about platformtick, which is what this thread is about? i haven't had any issues prior to win 1909. I always used "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock" though, so yea thats nothing new to me.

Last edited by Athrutep; 02-26-2020 at 06:40 PM.
post #9 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM
Linux Gamer

Rep: 61 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrick View Post
Is it being used in Linux or is this a Windows affliction only?
TSC (which is far better and built into the processor) will generally be the default on Linux.
Spoiler!

Pure ignorant Linux wannabe user...
Why not try a live distro on a flash drive or install on a backup machine? Maybe Mint, or even something Arch based if you're feeling adventurous (eg: Manjaro or EndeavorOS if you want purer Arch). Right after trying Mint Cinnamon, I knew immediately I wouldn't be using Windows again. Most Linux users are kind and eager to help as long as you try to help yourself first. I still do many a stupid thing, and ask stupid questions, but no one's ever made me feel like a fool.

...and looking forward to leaving Windows only on three machines in my household. The rest will have various versions of Linux and hoping that Gaming might be supported here.
Gaming is definitely supported. But IMO picky gamers and people who don't want to learn how to do things a different way and tweak stuff a little bit will probably have a bad time; eg: insisting on having the best performance (esp. competitive gaming, or demanding max FPS on a lower resolution high refresh rate screen) or wanting to beta test the freshest garbage, or playing a lot of multiplayer games (some MP DRM doesn't play nice with Linux right now). As someone who generally plays games that are a few years old (by choice), and is happy with 60FPS (and could give a rats ass if Windows gets +10% more), I can't say I've ever missed Windows these past few years.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It is the same on my amd system as well, makes it incredibly bad, unless i force the timer to 0.5 permanently or i have no application running. So in certain games and for anyone who likes to have media websites play in the background without permanently forcing the timer to 0.5, i consider "bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes" to not be a beneficial tweak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in