Is Higher DPI with low sensitivity better? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Is Higher DPI with low sensitivity better?

post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 180 (Unique: 154)
I'm actually having a hard time with understanding this. Maybe I'm missing something and not understanding. You mean it's normal to lift your mouse off your desk 2-3 times while swiping in order to turn around in a 360? This sounds terribly slow and doesn't make sense. You would be losing control of your mouse several times while you pick up your mouse.

My friend and his wife both use Razer Naga mice (2014 and molten edition) and they both play games at higher DPI than I do.

I tried to play with 800DPI in squad and it felt sluggish. The first firefight I got into at 15 meters got me killed because it was too slow. I even had the drop on them, started shooting and lost because I could track them walking to the side.

I tested Borderlands 3 just to see how it compared to squad. Without ADS, its 3.5cm and while ADS it was 7cm. These are rough measurements with a ruler on my desk. The mouse movement feels way better in this game so I think it might be game Squad itself. It's the only time I get the mouse is skipping pixels. It doesn't even do it on desktop.

Command Center 2.0
(14 items)
CPU
Intel i7-6800K
Motherboard
Asus Strix x99
GPU
Zotac GTX 1080 AMP
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB HDD
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Cooling
Corsair H100i (original, not v1 / v2)
Case
Corsair 600T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
3x Asus VE248Q
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4K HDR Quantom Dot
Audio
Creative Titanium HD
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 03:13 AM
mfw

Rep: 503 (Unique: 234)
It might be the case that something else entirely is creating the issue you're experiencing in Squad, especially considering you say other games are fine with roughly similar settings. What we're saying is that, regardless, we think your sensitivity range is limiting you in other ways.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 03:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I think the game has ****ed up engine, nothing should be skipping because every old mouse has around 1800DPI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 04:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 11)
as of today, in most games and with most mice you will be fine using 400-1600 and whatever sensitivity you select in-game.
there is no advantage or disadvantage to any configuration within this range, it is not better or worse.

while going above say 3200 cpi is a bit dumb.

Roach's declowning guide to the galaxy https://i.imgur.com/iz6WDUl.jpg
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 11:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shaded War View Post
I'm actually having a hard time with understanding this. Maybe I'm missing something and not understanding. You mean it's normal to lift your mouse off your desk 2-3 times while swiping in order to turn around in a 360? This sounds terribly slow and doesn't make sense. You would be losing control of your mouse several times while you pick up your mouse.

So with your current extremely high sensitivity you'll be use to planting the wrist and making very tiny movements. So naturally if you lower that sens even to something most would consider high like 20cm/360 it will feel unusable. What most people that use moderate sensitivities do is use a combination of arm, wrist and some finger for different movements.

You'll need a reasonable mouse mat space like a qck+ if you wish to even try medium sensitivities. Some are gifted with high sensitivity but 3.5cm/360 is beyond that. I don't doubt you can hold your own, I used to play CS at 5cm/360 when I started and wasn't totally crap....but the change in my ability when going lower was night and day. Its worth exploring med to low sensitivities. You don't have to go nuts and switch to 50cm/360 but should certainly try something moderate down to like 30cm/360. And in order to test you'll need to do it for a few weeks. Move your arm and don't plant the wrist. It may be that its too low for you long term but you need real experience with a decent range to know what suits you.
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:06 PM
OCN is bad civilization

Rep: 116 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aniela View Post
I think the game has ****ed up engine, nothing should be skipping because every old mouse has around 1800DPI
Not really an engine's fault for razer forcing sensor damping on their PTE mice.
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 02:38 PM
vf-
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)

My friend and his wife both use Razer Naga mice (2014 and molten edition) and they both play games at higher DPI than I do.

I tried to play with 800DPI in squad and it felt sluggish. The first firefight I got into at 15 meters got me killed because it was too slow. I even had the drop on them, started shooting and lost because I could track them walking to the side.

I tested Borderlands 3 just to see how it compared to squad. Without ADS, its 3.5cm and while ADS it was 7cm. These are rough measurements with a ruler on my desk. The mouse movement feels way better in this game so I think it might be game Squad itself. It's the only time I get the mouse is skipping pixels. It doesn't even do it on desktop.
It's muscle memory. I don't have that issue at 400dpi both on desktop and game. You pick it up and place it so fast and you're hardly picking it up. Maybe 2 CDs at most. Even in Division 2 with 400dpi I use aim sens of 0.1.
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 07:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
The problem is at 1800 and 1.0 is that it skips pixels, making it so when I move the mouse it's not possible to aim at a certain point. My mouse will skip 5 pixels at a time at distance. When I went to 16000 and .1, it made pixel by pixel moment possible where it didn't skip. Had nothing to do with my physical input.
It heavily depends on the game engine, as most games will skip pixels when the sensitivity is set to a value too high.
Set your dpi to 3600 and cut your sensitivity in half and see if it gets better. It doesn't have anything to do with your mouse sensor being x o y but your cm/360 being way too high and more sensible to input artifacts/granularity, as you cover more space in-game with less mouse movement; 3.2cm/360 is an incredibly high sens.
Every game engine skip pixels, but it's not as noticeable with low sens as it's with high sens, like yours. This gets more noticeable as your enter higher sensitivity values. Some game engines handle this much better than others, of course.

And don't listen to other people telling you it's way too high and you should change it, like they some kind of wannabe pros. If it's comfortable for you, keep using it.

Last edited by senileoldman; 04-09-2020 at 07:55 PM.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:54 AM
OCN is bad civilization

Rep: 116 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by senileoldman View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with your mouse sensor being x o y

Actually it does. Since OP is using hella high sensitivity, any small movement would be horribly gimped by sensor damping forced on PTE sensors.
Pretty weird people here forgot the whole Phillips Twin-Eye vs opticals discussion thread.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 03:57 AM
mfw

Rep: 503 (Unique: 234)
Quote: Originally Posted by senileoldman View Post
And don't listen to other people telling you it's way too high and you should change it, like they some kind of wannabe pros. If it's comfortable for you, keep using it.
If that kind of sensitivity were actually viable, you'd see professional players and streamers using it. Why move your arm and wrist any more than you absolutely have to?

It's perfectly legitimate to say his sensitivity is holding him back.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in