Muh deadzone: Windows USB3 MSI mode driver the #1 destroyer of aim ever created - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Muh deadzone: Windows USB3 MSI mode driver the #1 destroyer of aim ever created

post #41 of 112 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 01:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
I actually make sure I always have on the USB3.0 ports and XHCI. Pass-through (no xhci) feels horrible and the usb 2.0 ports on the Z77's are wonky and don't work correctly. The 2.0 ports feel somewhat delayed, like the cursor is always lagging behind my mouse, but it feels fine in games with raw input on.

Guess one could say I have a severe case of clown cursor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 07:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
@r0ach
Just an idea, what if we plugged our keyboard into the second USB hub and switched it to MSI, leaving our mouse alone and line based? Would it improve mousemovement while still being able to enjoy 1000hz keyboard?

Last edited by klunka; 07-23-2020 at 08:54 AM.
post #43 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 04:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 24)
I'm observing the same behavior here.

I usually flick my mouse cursor over my (dark) taskbar (Made a habit out of it to remind myself there's some latency that I hate but could never pinpoint) because white and black is a slow pixel transition (G2G) and adds up to the total latency observed.

Disabling MSI mode on Intel XHCI controller made my cursor (and ingame) almost a 1:1 response.

This monitor's input to signal latency is also rated as <4ms and yet it felt way higher somehow, and I wasn't under the illusion that I could actually notice 4~ms if input to signal lag personally. But its pretty easy to move your mouse left to right, observe the cursor and see that both don't sync up. Definitely an improvement!

Strangely I don't think this is necessarily just an Intel issue as I observe the same latency with an Asmedia controller. (Never tried disabing MSI on that though)

Lots of placebo's around, but I'm pretty sure this might be some weird thing that prioritizes bandwidth over latency in regard to the usb controllers/win10 (Power saving and max bandwidth are basically the trend these days, and it usually always goes at the expense of latency.)
I'll admit I don't think most people will be able to tell, but for me my mouse response feels way more raw.

Maybe this is why I2C controller for Touchpad on my notebook is forced on emulated interrupt, they are already so damn laggy, MSI would make it worse ^^

Asus Z270G Gaming (m-atx) | i5 7600K 4.9Ghz | 16GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3866 | Geforce 1070 GTX | Acer XB321HK

Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970034642
MechWarrior Online: M T

Last edited by Marctraider; 07-27-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:03 PM
LTSC for life crew

Rep: 158 (Unique: 108)
Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
Right when USB3 first came out I always hated it because it felt less responsive than USB2. It had a deadzone that did not exist on the previous generation. I always thought it was the fault of the change to the architecture itself - adding more latency when they increased the bandwidth - turns out that wasn't it. Windows USB2 drivers use line based interrupt mode. Windows USB3 drivers use MSI mode by default.

For some reason over the span of years I never tested this before, but after manually forcing this Haswell boxes' USB3 controller to line based interrupt mode instead of it's MSI mode default, the deadzone is gone and responsiveness seems to be comparable to USB2 again.
Hey are you aware of this project intended to fix some of the issues with USB? They have modded drivers and a fairly good in depth explanation of the whats and whys surrounding drivers and USB. Link - https://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB...nd-modded.html And https://www.win-raid.com/f25-General...e-and-USB.html

They also dig into SATA and NVMe drivers and such. Lots of info there if you are interested in reading it over.

CPU
Ryzen 1600 AF
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM
16GB DDR4-3000
Hard Drive
120GB HP M700 SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spintpoint M9T 2TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 (2017)
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 140
Case
Fractal Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSC
Keyboard
Alienware W/Cherry MX Switches
Mouse
Logitech G5
▲ hide details ▲

post #45 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Not a Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 43 (Unique: 33)
yep deadzone. is this a controller?

"a bad joint can't be that bad right?" -q
post #46 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 04:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by the1freeMan View Post
yep deadzone. is this a controller?
yes, how much does it affect on controller?

RIGWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CPU :AMD 1950X @ 3.7 Ghz 1.280
MOBO : Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)
RAM : G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GBx4 DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
GPU :INNO3D Nvidia GeForce GTX1080 8G D5 1759Mhz iChill X3
Sound Card For 5.1 Speakers : Asus Strix RAID DLX
Network Card : SolareFlare SFN6122F SFP+ 10Gbit Dual Port PCIEx4
PSU : ThermalTake 850Watt ToughPower
STORAGE
SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD 480Gb OS
WD Gold 6TB DataCenter 7200 128MB DATA/GAMEZ
Seagate 5TB Enterprise 7200 128MB (ST5000NM0024) DATA/GAMEZ
Samsung x2 1TB 7200 RAID0 GAMEZ
Segate 3TB Backup+ Desktop USB External BACKUP

GEAR and Sound
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
TV : LG OLED55C6 TV
Mouse : Logitech G502
Mouse Pad : SteelSeries I-2 Black
Keyboard : Corsair Gaming K70 RAPIDFIRE
GamePad : Xbox Elite Controller + Xbox Wireless Adapter
Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohms
A...

post #47 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 06:43 AM
Not a Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 43 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
yes, how much does it affect on controller?

"a bad joint can't be that bad right?" -q
post #48 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 20)
One thing I've observed with having a USB3 controller (mobo) and usb 2.0 pci-e card installed at the same time is that DPC is processed by both drivers when only using a single device in the USB 3.0 controller for example. This seems like wasted resources but I assume this is windows logic for dealing with both at once.
post #49 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 178 (Unique: 117)
Quote: Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
I'm observing the same behavior here.

I usually flick my mouse cursor over my (dark) taskbar (Made a habit out of it to remind myself there's some latency that I hate but could never pinpoint) because white and black is a slow pixel transition (G2G) and adds up to the total latency observed.

Disabling MSI mode on Intel XHCI controller made my cursor (and ingame) almost a 1:1 response.

This monitor's input to signal latency is also rated as <4ms and yet it felt way higher somehow, and I wasn't under the illusion that I could actually notice 4~ms if input to signal lag personally. But its pretty easy to move your mouse left to right, observe the cursor and see that both don't sync up. Definitely an improvement!

Strangely I don't think this is necessarily just an Intel issue as I observe the same latency with an Asmedia controller. (Never tried disabing MSI on that though)

Lots of placebo's around, but I'm pretty sure this might be some weird thing that prioritizes bandwidth over latency in regard to the usb controllers/win10 (Power saving and max bandwidth are basically the trend these days, and it usually always goes at the expense of latency.)
I'll admit I don't think most people will be able to tell, but for me my mouse response feels way more raw.

Maybe this is why I2C controller for Touchpad on my notebook is forced on emulated interrupt, they are already so damn laggy, MSI would make it worse ^^
I mainly posted this topic so people can see that MSI mode on USB 3.0 does make mouse movement more rubbery and less responsive feeling over USB 2.0 in line based mode. While turning MSI mode off did remove the floaty/unresponsive feeling of USB 3.0, it still feels off and inferior to using a native USB 2.0 controller.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #50 of 112 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 07:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
Yea, this is much better with MSI off. I'm wondering if there are still USB 2 Pci-e devices left for purchase, I'd love to try one.

Also so funny with people requiring proof without providing a way to test this. These are the same people who consider scientists the single conveyours of "Truth", which proves they know nothing about science. Most of our nervous system is basically a measuring device, but I guess that since they can't test this for themselves they have to have external proof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in