Artisan mousepads - are they worth the hype? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Artisan mousepads - are they worth the hype?

post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 04:59 AM
mfw

Rep: 521 (Unique: 240)
That "Mastersheet" can be used to get a general idea about pads, but it shouldn't be taken any more seriously than that. I own some of the pads in it, and the way they're ranked makes no sense. Their classification seems to not take into account static friction and the nature of its pressure sensitivity.

For me, static friction is the most important factor when choosing a mousepad. If that's not something you've ever thought about when analyzing your performance or the way your peripherals interact, then, by all means, disregard what I'm saying.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O- Glossy
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
r/wallstreetbets degen

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Having a baseline is crucial but otherwise I completely agree. I owned a puretrak talent, and I don't agree with them saying it's that quick. Quicker than the QCK heavy but not by much.

And had I known the mouse feet on the RVU were this slick I probably would've avoided purchasing the damn thing.
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 07:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quality wise the Artisan pads are absolutely worth it, and if you are one for supporting small companies/the little guy over big companies producing things in China and turning a profit, then yeah, I would buy from them. Best stitching by far (below the pad, so it never interferes). Surfaces are all unique in their own ways with interesting friction properties and concepts. If you're looking for a pure control pad they don't really have an option for you, but the Zero is essentially a higher quality QcK in terms of mouse feel. But it definitely gathers hairs a lot. My favourite of theirs is the Hien, using the Mid but want to get the soft once orders open again. I have all the pads except for the Raiden. Can give more insight if asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 07:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by emanonRD View Post
Quality wise the Artisan pads are absolutely worth it, and if you are one for supporting small companies/the little guy over big companies producing things in China and turning a profit, then yeah, I would buy from them. Best stitching by far (below the pad, so it never interferes). Surfaces are all unique in their own ways with interesting friction properties and concepts.
This is definitely the appeal in Artisan pads for me as well, they are all very unique and interesting surfaces and the quality is seriously good and something I can appreciate. I think I have 7 Artisan pads, and it's been enjoyable trying them all. I think the Raiden XSOFT is my favorite. The XSOFT option is nice and cushiony, I've never used anything else quite like it.

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
r/wallstreetbets degen

Quote: Originally Posted by emanonRD View Post
Quality wise the Artisan pads are absolutely worth it, and if you are one for supporting small companies/the little guy over big companies producing things in China and turning a profit, then yeah, I would buy from them. Best stitching by far (below the pad, so it never interferes). Surfaces are all unique in their own ways with interesting friction properties and concepts. If you're looking for a pure control pad they don't really have an option for you, but the Zero is essentially a higher quality QcK in terms of mouse feel. But it definitely gathers hairs a lot. My favourite of theirs is the Hien, using the Mid but want to get the soft once orders open again. I have all the pads except for the Raiden. Can give more insight if asked.

The only thing that's off-putting is the shipping times which from what I've gathered can take anywhere from 1-2 months in the best scenario. Given our current climate I think I'm better off waiting till covid-19 passes. I tend to avoid importing internationally for this very reason.
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 08:16 AM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 165 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zammin View Post
This is definitely the appeal in Artisan pads for me as well, they are all very unique and interesting surfaces and the quality is seriously good and something I can appreciate. I think I have 7 Artisan pads, and it's been enjoyable trying them all. I think the Raiden XSOFT is my favorite. The XSOFT option is nice and cushiony, I've never used anything else quite like it.
Quote: Originally Posted by elucid087 View Post
The only thing that's off-putting is the shipping times which from what I've gathered can take anywhere from 1-2 months in the best scenario. Given our current climate I think I'm better off waiting till covid-19 passes. I tend to avoid importing internationally for this very reason.

Are there resellers for Artisan pads in the USA?

So artisan zero is the closest to QCK, but with which backing? Xsoft, soft, mid, hard?

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀

post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
r/wallstreetbets degen

Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post

So artisan zero is the closest to QCK, but with which backing? Xsoft, soft, mid, hard?

Not to my knowledge. I think NCIX might've carried them before they were defunct.
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 14)

I live in Australia and ordered directly from Artisan, but I recall seeing some listings on Amazon. However I would expect to pay more from Amazon Marketplace compared to buying direct.

They claim that the Zero is the closest model to the Qck. I have a Zero Mid, and I thought it felt slower than my Qck Heavy but I haven't spent a whole lot of time with either of those pads yet so I can't be 100% sure on that. I would say however, that the surface of the Zero looks and feels closer to the Qck than any of their other pads, seeing as the rest of the range (that I own at least) are very unique and not really like anything else I've tried.

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 08:35 AM
mfw

Rep: 521 (Unique: 240)
Amazon is selling some Artisan models in Europe (particularly the one I'm actually interested in trying, the Hien Mid XL) for around €45.

I don't know how expensive it would be to buy direct and pay for shipping and customs, but it can't be much lower than that.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O- Glossy
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 08:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by elucid087 View Post

In normal times (last summer, for example), many people in the US get their pads within a week with EMS fast shipping, without fast shipping it can be 2-3 weeks. They have currently shut down orders as I believe EMS has stopped shipping to many countries (including US), but it could also just be due to Japan asking people to stay inside as much as they can.

There are no official resellers for Artisan pads outside of Japan. They have retailers that sell them in store in Japan but they have not expanded outside of Japan for their own reasons. I presume it has to do with them not speaking English well enough to do proper business legally in English, and also that they wouldn't be able to supply them consistently enough with their team's size (which I believe to be quite small, as they go out of stock very often and take a while to restock).

I have both the QcK+ and Zero, my Zero is definitely a decent amount faster, but remember that the hardness can vary the feeling of a pad. Generally, the softer the pad you get, the more "control" it has, as you can push the mouse down into the pad for extra friction (plus added friction of your arm sinking in a bit). If you want I can upload a little video comparing the QcK+ to both the mid and soft versions of the Zero.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Amazon is selling some Artisan models in Europe (particularly the one I'm actually interested in trying, the Hien Mid XL) for around €45.

I don't know how expensive it would be to buy direct and pay for shipping and customs, but it can't be much lower than that.
You could try it, but be wary of potential fakes.. I have heard rumors of fakes but I've never gotten confirmation on it. So long as the price isn't crazy then Amazon may be fine, but if it's ridiculous I would just buy from Artisan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in