New r0ach topic to upset people: HDMI cables - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

New r0ach topic to upset people: HDMI cables

post #1 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 176 (Unique: 115)
New r0ach topic to upset people: HDMI cables

Some people think it doesn't matter what type of HDMI cable you use and they'll all be the same, but not from what I've seen:

Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
Yea, the Blurbusters guy says HDMI is better, but claimed the difference between the two should be impercetible, but that's definitely not my experience. The particular cables + different monitors I've tried and other various factors all play a part, but in my experience, on every monitor I've tested displayport seemed to give this inferior, more floaty cursor movemenet than HDMI I didn't like and also seemed to have higher latency.

It's a complex issue since I have like 4 HDMI cables in front of me and out of those I only like one cable (the thickest one go figure) with the others giving worse cursor movement. So things like the cables themselves also play a huge part. DVI seems like it was massively shielded with two chokes on each end, and HDMI and displayport seem like they have barely any shielding on them in comparison. I'm currently trying to figure out who makes the best HDMI cable that isn't some type of $100+ ripoff.

I think both HDMI and displayport likely lack shielding in general for standard consumer crap versions. The internal cables can even leak onto themselves. Nevermind the external factors. After reading the stupid 'electromagnetism' posts on this thread I've tested what happens when wrapping mouse cords around speaker magnets and things like that, and the only side effect I saw was dulled down and less responsive cursor movement and not even cursor skipping or anything, so having a poorly shielded HDMI or mouse cable probably does cause reduced responsiveness (but not the prime mover of the universe with Windows and BIOS settings having 0 effect as they claim).
To elaborate on the above topic, of the HDMI cables I have sitting around that I've tested, I have stuff like a skimpy Amazon basics cable, the HDMI cable that came with a Steambox/Alienware Alpha (it's the thickest), a Comcast HDMI 2.0 cable, and a few other mystery cables. All the skinny cables like the Amazon basics were inferior for cursor movement than the thick Steambox HDMI cable from Dell. They seemed like they had more of a deadzone or something where it felt less responsive.

The Comcast 4k res rated HDMI cable is thicker than the skinny Amazon basics one and didn't have the higher deadzone feel of the skinny cables and did feel responsive, but is for some reason more floaty and less precise than the even thicker Dell HDMI 1.4. Does the older 1.4 revision vs newer revision play a part in this? I dunno. But out of all these mystery cables the thickest one wins for mouse movement and it's an older 1.4 era cable (still works for 1080p at 144hz).

TLDR: Simply switching HDMI cables out of a grab bag has distinct effect on mouse movement with each one. I used to test this stuff back around 2004 when DVI cables were the standard and the differences in DVI cables seemed to be a lot smaller than what I see now with HDMI but you could still see some small differences there. The differences between HDMI cables are just way more pronounced. Not sure if it's solely due to cable thickness/shielding or if older vs newer 4k spec plays a part as well.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to

Last edited by r0ach; 05-04-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:18 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 178 (Unique: 93)
Personally have always used Displayport connections throughout my life here, after VGA and DVI all those years ago.

Was never really interested in HDMI ever, don't know why but I simply trusted all my visual experience via the Displayport of any Monitor and Video card without any trouble at all.
post #3 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
/U/AmD_Robert seems to agree with you: https://old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...ayport_cables/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:40 AM
mfw

Rep: 498 (Unique: 233)
Quote: Originally Posted by Conditioned View Post
/U/AmD_Robert seems to agree with you: https://old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...ayport_cables/
Yes, it can clearly be read in that post that some cables give you floaty mouse.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
have you tried Displayport 1.4?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.4a

DP 2.0 should be on the way
post #6 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:48 AM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
personally.. if you're detecting "upset" its from within.

you know blurbusters does genuine testing, right roach? Like, they don't do "feels" they do numbers.

are you genuinely even testing at 4K? at that point, cable quality is going to make a difference, as you're near the cap of the cable & the interface.

some day, you'll realize all your latency issues were due to how tight your pants were, n we'll never see you again

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #7 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:52 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 827 (Unique: 464)
Name:  chuck-space-blanket-hero-400x225.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  20.6 KB

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:56 AM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
when you run outta foil so you gotta bust the blanket from the hurricane kit.

Loon, how dare you forget - Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #9 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 06:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
At this point I seldom read the threads on this forum for any valuable information... it's more just for the daily humour. Today it's them pesky Floaty™ HDMI cables, what will be "floaty™" tomorrow??? Tune in to find out.
post #10 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 06:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
you know blurbusters does genuine testing, right roach? Like, they don't do "feels" they do numbers.
I think you got it wrong. Just think of how much time the Blurbusters guy could save if he just got r0ach to do all the testing, instead of spending countless hours compiling some stupid scientific numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in