Logitech GPro Wireless VS Razer Viper Ultimate - Detailed Review and Comparison. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Logitech GPro Wireless VS Razer Viper Ultimate - Detailed Review and Comparison.

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 225 (Unique: 199)
Logitech GPro Wireless VS Razer Viper Ultimate - Detailed Review and Comparison.

Thought I would give a quick comparison/review of the Viper Ultimate and the GPro Wireless. I have been searching for the perfect mouse for years and these two are about as close as any manufacturer has ever gotten.

Shape - Winner Viper Ultimate
Both of the shapes are workable for me. Viper feels a lot flatter and feels a hair wider which suits my hands better. The shape just overall feels more ergonomic. The GPro kind of feels like you are holding a bar of soap. Also the Viper has comfort groves for the buttons which is a nice touch. Dimensions wise I don't think the Viper is that much larger than the GPro wireless but I feel like the shape of the GPro is good for small to medium hands and the Viper is good for medium to large hands. If you have wider palms you might have trouble gripping the GPro wireless.

Coating - Winner Viper Ultimate
Although the finish coating on the GPro feels nicer and less plasticy the Viper wins because of the side grips. The GPro can get slippery if you live in a dry climate or don't generally have sweaty hands.

Build Quality - Winner GPro Wireless
I wouldn't consider either of them bad but the GPro wireless feels like a higher quality product. The finish feels less cheap and there are zero rattles if you shake it. The Viper will rattle if you shake it violently even if you hold in all of the buttons with the bottom cover removed

M1/M2 Buttons - Winner Viper Ultimate
The M1/M2 buttons on both of these mice are good. I don't think the optical switches of the Viper really makes much difference. The GPro has slightly more crisp feeling clicks but the Viper wins because there is less click travel and the clicks are a hair lighter. Some people say the Viper has mushy feeling clicks and I disagree, I don't feel that at all.

Side Buttons - Winner Viper Ultimate
One of my #1 complaints about the GPro wireless is the side buttons. It's the only mouse I have ever owned where I accidentally press the side buttons. This happens all the time and is extremely frustrating. I feel like they are either too low or too easy to press. When holding the mouse even with my thumb against the pad if I squeeze too hard I activate the side buttons. If they were shifted slightly up or if they were slightly harder to click I don't think I would have any issue with them. The Viper has nice recessed side buttons that are in a great spot and out of the way. No chance of accidentally clicking them. Some might not like them because they might be a little harder to find in the heat of battle than with other mice. I do not have this issue and really like the design better than any other mouse I have tired.

Scroll Wheel - Winner GPro Wireless
The Scroll wheel on the GPro wireless has a more consistent and slightly lighter feel than the Viper. It's also a lot quieter. Neither of them are bad but my main complaint with the Vipers scroll wheel is the loud noise it makes when scrolling up.

Feet - Winner Tie
The feet on both of these mice are great and the glide feels the same. No issues with dragging, digging in etc. This is an upgrade for the Viper Ultimate because the feet on the wired Viper were trash and I replaced them with corepad skates. No need on the Ultimate.

Aming Performance / Sensor - Winner Viper Ultimate
Although I aim better with both of these mice than any others I have tried the winner here goes to the Viper Ultimate. For some reason I consistently get slightly better Kovaaks scores with the Viper than the GPro. It's definitely the shape because I am better with the Wired Viper than the GPro wireless as well. Wired VS Wireless Viper scores are almost exactly the same. The Viper is just a great shape for my hands and I really don't fully understand what about it makes it better. Compared to the GPro Wireless your hand is closer to the pad with the Viper due to it being flatter so maybe it has something to do with that. GPro wireless is a close second behind the Viper's for Kovaaks scores.

Battery Life - Winner Gpro Wireless
The Battery on the GPro wireless lasts so long I almost forget it's a wireless mouse that has to be charged. I had all the LEDs turned off and kept it at 1000hz. I think I charged it once every couple weeks with daily use. I also like the charge cable adapter that comes with it so you only use one USB port for the cable and the receiver plugs in to the charge cable when it's not charging the mouse. It allows you to keep the receiver right near the mousepad. The Viper battery life isn't really as good as I expected. It's not bad but I was spoiled by the GPro wireless. Just goes to show you manufacturer ratings aren't everything. 60Hrs rating for GPro and 70Hrs rating for Viper Ultimate. I was considering not getting the dock with it but I am glad I did. It needs to be charged every 3-4 days even with the LED's off and with the sleep mode turned to the lowest setting of 1 min of activity. It seems like if I am on my computer most of the day it burns about 15-20% of the battery in a day even with the LEDs off. If I had the RGB going on it I would probably throw it on the dock every night. The dock is a great feature and it's really easy to set the mouse on it to charge. It also holds the receiver so it's really nice to have it all there at the top of your pad.

Wireless Performance - Winner Tie
I haven't had any wireless issues with either of these mice. The wireless preforms flawlessly. A+ on both.

Software - Winner GPro Wireless
The Razer software seems a bit bloaty to me because you have to create an account and log in and it pops up every time my computer boots and shows it's logging in. There is also all kinds of other junk in it like zcash which is basically using your PC to mine for coins for Razer gear if you so choose. Configuring the mouse and the RGB is easy, no problems there. The Logitech software on the other hand is pretty nice and fairly light weight. It boots with windows but doesn't require a login. It works well for what it is and doesn't seem like it has too much junk attached. No real complaints with it.

Overall Winner - Viper Ultimate
The Viper Ultimate is my winner and it will be my main mouse for a long while. I've been on the hunt for a mouse that ticks all my boxes for years and the Viper Ultimate is finally it. It doesn't have any glaring flaws that are a dealbreaker. The side button issue for the GPro wireless is what caused me to keep looking. If it wasn't for that I would have stuck with it. Finding a mouse that meets all my requirements is nice because I have bought so many over the last few years. I think at one point I had 15-20 mice and 5 mousepads in my drawer. I kept going because there was always something wrong with every mouse I tried and I always knew there would be one that would come along and tick all the boxes. The Wired Viper was that mouse for over a year until I finally decided to spend the money and fill my last requirement of wireless.

List of reasons someone might choose GPro Wireless over the Viper Ultimate even though it's not my winner -
If you really like high quality feeling products or want the best build quality maybe even at a slight performance cost
If you already have Logi peripherals and want to only use one software
If you want the absolute best battery life
If you like super crispy precise mouse clicks
If you have smaller hands, I feel like the GPro is good for small to medium hands and the Viper is good for medium to large hands. Also if you have larger thumbs you might have the same side button clicking issue I do with the GPro wireless.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:27 AM
Missing the Old days

there is mice software worse than LGS or GHub, kill me now...

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Work Folder
(7 items)
CPU
AMD r7 2700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming PRO
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
RAM
PNY Anarchy-X 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
256GB Plextor M8Pe m.2
Power Supply
Corsair RM750X
Case
big metal box
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Monitor
DELL S2716DG
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G604
Mouse
Steelseries Mat
Audio
Logitech G602
Other
steam controller
CPU
AMD FX8350
Motherboard
BIOStar TA970
GPU
AMD FURY X
GPU
Zotac GTX 960
RAM
Gskill 2x8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair 650w
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by MCV_007 View Post
Good review but the general consensus is that the GPW ****s on the RVU.

The GPW has one fault while the RVU has many that include sensor rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think many people actually give the Viper Ultimate a chance and a fair review because of not entirely unwarranted Razer hate. That's part of why I decided to put up a review. The wired Viper is the only Razer product I have bought that has lasted more than 3 months. The last 2 Razer mice I tried before the Viper broke before the 14 day return at Best Buy was up and the only headset of theirs that I tried had a rattle in one earcup out of the box. Not a great history. I do however feel like the Viper is better. It's either a fluke one off product or a sign of improving QC and design.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
I don't think many people actually give the Viper Ultimate a chance and a fair review because of not entirely unwarranted Razer hate. That's part of why I decided to put up a review. The wired Viper is the only Razer product I have bought that has lasted more than 3 months. The last 2 Razer mice I tried before the Viper broke before the 14 day return at Best Buy was up and the only headset of theirs that I tried had a rattle in one earcup out of the box. Not a great history. I do however feel like the Viper is better. It's either a fluke one off product or a sign of improving QC and design.

The hate is warranted. They constantly release crap that breaks down and for a mouse that fetches such a premium, to have something serious like sensor rattle should be a major deterrent.

I could live with the mushy buttons or the awkward shape if it weren’t this.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
there is mice software worse than LGS or GHub, kill me now...
Razer software IMO is worse than LGS but just because of the having to create an account nonsense. I don't really hate LGS all that much. It doesn't get in the way and does what it's supposed to do. Both serve their functions of configuring the mouse relatively easily and telling me when the battery is getting low so I won't really complain much. Software is by no means a dealbreaker for me as long as it functions properly. If you want to talk about horrible software that would be Corsair iCUE.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The hate is warranted. They constantly release crap that breaks down and for a mouse that fetches such a premium, to have something serious like sensor rattle should be a major deterrent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8H0N9j4fVE

I could live with the mushy buttons or the awkward shape if it weren’t this.

That's a one off guy who got a bad mouse... Just cause one person has an issue with theirs doesn't mean they are all like that. Mine does not do that. There are plenty of videos on youtube of people with broken mice from all manufacturers.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

One off? I had two mice that developed this issue. Turned me off completely from razers ****.

You had 2 Viper Ultimates that had this issue or was it other Razer mice? I'm not defending Razer products in general just specifically the Viper. like I said above I have not had any of Razer's products last more than 14 days except the Viper. I think the Viper is the only good product they have ever made. It wouldn't surprise me if you had issues with other mice. I beat the hell out of my wired Viper for over a year and it still works. I'm pretty hard on mice.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
You had 2 Viper Ultimates that had this issue or was it other Razer mice? I'm not defending Razer products in general just specifically the Viper. like I said above I have not had any of Razer's products last more than 14 days except the Viper. I think the Viper is the only good product they have ever made. It wouldn't surprise me if you had issues with other mice. I beat the hell out of my wired Viper for over a year and it still works. I'm pretty hard on mice.

I should have clarified.

I had two RVU mice fail within a six month timeline. Both mice also had inconsistent buttons which seems to be a common theme. The pre travel before actuation, and post travel when bottoming out aren’t the same.

Do your main buttons feel crunchy and squeak at all? Did you do the tape test with your unit? I’d monitor it closely if I was you.

Last edited by MCV_007; 05-26-2020 at 10:27 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I should have clarified.

I had two RVU mice fail within a six month timeline. Both mice also had inconsistent buttons which seems to be a common theme. The pre travel before actuation, and post travel when bottoming out aren’t the same.

Do your main buttons feel crunchy and squeak at all? Did you do the tape test with your unit? I’d monitor it closely if I was you.

My copy is good I saw that video you linked a while back and tried taping both of my vipers right away. I don't have issues like that with either of them. My ultimate does make a rattling sound if you shake it really hard but it's not the sensor because the cursor never moves when it's taped even if you shake it violently. Main buttons on both wired and Ultimate are great and feel very similar. I wouldn't call them mushy at all and I think they are some of the best feeling M1 and M2 buttons I have found so far. I've had quite a few mice that had inferior clicks to the Vipers. Pretty much every Zowie mouse, all of the Finalmouse junk , And Model O all have worse feeling clicks. I also don't really like the GPro wireless clicks. I feel like it has too much travel and it's a bit too stiff. The Viper clicks are nice and short, light but not too light and easy to spam.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 11:28 AM
mfw

Rep: 514 (Unique: 238)
LGS is fine, the way I see it. It's enough to the point, it's not overly complex, it does what it's supposed to do, and on-board memory lets you uninstall it if its mere presence bothers you.

GHub, on the other hand, is worse on all of the above.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToTheSun!; 05-27-2020 at 12:54 AM.

Tags
gpro , Logitech , Razer , review , viper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in