WIFI routers & Wireless mice - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

WIFI routers & Wireless mice

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 225 (Unique: 199)
WIFI routers & Wireless mice

So I've got the Roccat Kain 200 sitting on my desk for testing and straight out of the box its a stuttery laggy mess. In the driver it has a place to show you the signal strength of the wireless and it kept bouncing between good and excellent. I could never get it to stay at excellent even with the receiver right on top of the mouse. My wifi router is only a few feet away so for experimentation purposes I disabled the wifi radios and the mouse started working flawlessly. Now I've been using the GPro wireless and the Viper Ultimate for quite a while in the same situation so it got me wondering how much being too close to a wifi router will actually impact the performance of a wireless gaming mouse. It's pretty obvious that Logi and Razer have the interference issues figured out a little better than Roccat but I would think if the interference is enough to stop the Kain 200 from responding sometimes it's gotta be impacting the performance of the other mice in some way. The mouse tester app charts look pretty good with either mouse and they don't have a signal strength indicator so it's hard to tell if they are seeing any interference or not. It may or may not be placebo but the Viper Ultimate seems more responsive with the wifi off.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 11:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
That shouldn't never happen as there will always be wireless signals overlapping. Try setting your Wifi signal on a different channel and see if it works better, probably that mouse or design is faulty.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 11:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
That should never happen as there will always be wireless signals overlapping. Try setting your Wifi signal on a different channel and see if it works better, probably that mouse or design is faulty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 12:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 68)
Move the router farther away. Even a few feet may clear it up.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
It happened to my wireless mice too. I have G305 G703 GPW G903. When it happens the cursor skips just like the battery is running out. But the battery is clearly almost full.
I can't turn off the 2.4GHz radio at my router, as my printer supports only 2.4GHz.
I changed the 2.4GHz channel to Channel 1 and it worked. They never skipped again by far.

Manage to run your games at 300+fps before you talk about mouse precision.
If you are still struggling to reach 100fps or if you are using some IPS/VA monitor, don' buy mice anymore. Save money and upgrade your whole rig.
If you don't know how to upgrade, just throw away your Ryzen 1st and 2nd gen, get latest Intel i7 i9 with "K", get 4000+MHz memory.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 02:01 PM
r/wallstreetbets degen

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
No dual band? Honestly, just go back to wired.

Convenience comes as a compromise with wi-fi for gaming. You have a gpro wireless, which leads me to believe you're playing competitively (or at least you take it seriously enough to drop that kind of cash on two high-end mice). Using wifi pretty much negates having the "competitive edge" since latency will always be worse.

Enthoo Evolv TG :: Maximus X Hero :: i7-8700K :: H115i PRO RGB :: Trident Z RGB 32GB :: AORUS GTX 1080 Ti :: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB :: Dell AW3418DW :: Sennheiser HD800S :: RME-ADI 2 FS
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Mouse lover

Rep: 110 (Unique: 77)
I'm right next to my router using the viper ultimate, not having any issues so far. However my logitech G703 would sometimes 'lose tracking' and then 'come back' which I believe was from interference from the router

I believe the same would sometimes happen with my GPW as well. I'm about 1-2 FT from my gateway/router. Unfortunately not much I can do besides grab some longer Ethernet cables and a power extender and just move it somewhere else in my room

I think these mice are just better at handling EMI/RFI - most likely due to using a certain channel or collision avoidance
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 225 (Unique: 199)
Quote: Originally Posted by elucid087 View Post
No dual band? Honestly, just go back to wired.

Convenience comes as a compromise with wi-fi for gaming. You have a gpro wireless, which leads me to believe you're playing competitively (or at least you take it seriously enough to drop that kind of cash on two high-end mice). Using wifi pretty much negates having the "competitive edge" since latency will always be worse.
Not sure what you interpreted from my post but I always play hard wired on my desktop. The wireless router just happens to be near my desk in my office because I have the cable modem in my office. I shut off the wifi radios in the router to make it basically a wired router for testing.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 PM
r/wallstreetbets degen

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Not sure what you interpreted from my post but I always play hard wired on my desktop. The wireless router just happens to be near my desk in my office because I have the cable modem in my office. I shut off the wifi radios in the router to make it basically a wired router for testing.

I realized that afterwards and felt like an idiot. Classic sleep deprivation taking its toll.

Enthoo Evolv TG :: Maximus X Hero :: i7-8700K :: H115i PRO RGB :: Trident Z RGB 32GB :: AORUS GTX 1080 Ti :: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB :: Dell AW3418DW :: Sennheiser HD800S :: RME-ADI 2 FS
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 02:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
All Razer mice since Mamba Wireless (2018) can frequency-hop upto 1000 times a second to always stay on a "clean" channel, which should allow for a much more reliable connection and shouldn't be affected by routers all that much. The most important factor in home setups to NEVER plug in wireless dongles directly into a USB 3 port of your PC (or any USB3 hubs in general). The USB 3 / 2.4G interference absolutely murders wireless performance.

While WiFi routers can also channel-hop, but they don't do it nearly as fast, and are generally less of an issue for wireless mice than USB3 hubs.

Last edited by Razer_TheFiend; 06-02-2020 at 02:29 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in