[ncck Review] Razer Gigantus v2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[ncck Review] Razer Gigantus v2

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Mouse lover

Rep: 110 (Unique: 77)
[ncck Review] Razer Gigantus v2

Hello OCN!!!! How are you!? I'm back with a short little review on a new mousepad I grabbed over the weekend. The Razer Gigantus v2! (This is not a sponsored review, I paid money for this! woohoo!)

Specifications:
Size tested: Large
Width: 450mm
Height: 400mm
Thickness: 3mm
Material: 100% Polyester Fabric
Coating: Appears to have none
Hardness: Hard
Stitching: None
Bottom: Anti-slip base
Mouse tested on pad: Razer Viper Ultimate
Product Link: https://www.razer.com/gaming-mouse-m...er-gigantus-v2
MSRP: $15

Observations/personal opinion
  • Frustration Free packaging
  • 99% mousepad usability (Logo is very small and stitched onto the top right corner of pad)
  • Multiple sizes available (Also comes in a medium, XXL, and 3XL)
  • Budget Friendly
  • Smooth gliding surface, more towards the speed side
  • All Black Surface
  • No stitched edges
  • Feels nice on the skin (not a rough pad)
  • Doesn't seem to slide around much (Varies depending on your desk surface)
  • Mostly flat out of box

End Notes / Opinion

The Razer Gigantus v2 is simply a solid mouse pad all around and at a very budget friendly price. I can safely recommend this mouse pad as an introductory mousepad for gamers just starting out, competitive gamers, and gamers on a budget. I do not recommend this mousepad for work (nor was it designed for work), for that I would recommend a thicker and softer mouse pad.

This pad seems to be a direct competitor to the Steelseries QCK+ at the same price point. In my opinion it goes toe to toe with that pad and may even be better. The stitched logo which Zowie started was a great move and it being on the top right corner is great because in my opinion that's an area of the mousepad that most gamers (myself included) don't seem to glide near very often if ever. I don't think this pad directly contends against the Zowie G-SR because it's much faster than the G-SR. The G-SR is a much much slower mouse pad aimed more towards control. So these two pads target different gamers. If you're on the speed side I recommend you check this one out. Can't really go wrong with the price either.

I think Razer did an excellent job with this mousepad, the pad having a harder base makes for several benefits for gaming, the glide is more uniform, it's a faster glide, and it stays flatter. Since the surface is harder you're less likely to sink into the pad with pressure - which means a more consistent glide across and also a faster one. Now not everyone loves a fast glide so if that's something you don't love then you most likely won't love this.

I don't like the name of the mousepad, I don't think calling it the Razer Gigantus v2 was a great idea. It makes it seem like it's a new or improved version of the original Gigantus when it's slightly different. At least that's what I think about a 'version 2'. The original gigantus appears to have a similar material, but instead of 100% Polyester fabric, it says 100% Polyester knitted-fabric. I'm no fabric expert but I guess that means either the weave is different or it's a different fabric entirely. There was two versions of the original Gigantus, a stitched edge version and a team razer version with no stitched edge. I cannot recall if that pad was coated or not or if there was a difference between the Regular Gigantus and the Team Razer one. I do love that they removed the raised logo and added the stitched logo instead, especially in a very small form factor.

Looking Ahead

I'd love to see a thicker version of this mouse pad with a similar hardness or even harder base, very few companies seem to focus on the 'hardness' of the base of the pad when it really does make a difference to your gliding experience. Artisan is one of the few brands which directly makes a mouse pad in multiple hardness levels. I strongly prefer a harder base because sometimes I apply a lot of pressure to my mousepad and if it doesn't sink then my glide will be very consistent. Some gamers do prefer softer pads and love the sink because they add it to their muscle memory and use it to slow down movements when they need it. Great Job on this product Razer, I've seen a major improvement in this brand very recently and hope to see more of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200601_124937.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	8.57 MB
ID:	351106  

Name:	IMG_20200601_124945.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	351108  

Name:	IMG_20200601_125016.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	351110  

Last edited by ncck; 06-01-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 07:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 47)
Much conflicting info. I see it being portrayed as control in other areas, but speedy here. As much as I love my Raindrop, I need a control backup.

Might just get one of those special QcK pads if the Gigantus v2 is a fast pad.

MX518 Legendary
Nixeus Revel
Logitech G603 (91g)

Allsop Raindrop XL
Razer Goliathus Speed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 225 (Unique: 199)
Hmm might have to check this one out. I had the stitched edge Gigantus for a while and I felt like it was way too squishy. I realized I would push the mouse into the pad too much and cause inconsistent glide.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
Mouse lover

Quote: Originally Posted by SmashTV View Post
Much conflicting info. I see it being portrayed as control in other areas, but speedy here. As much as I love my Raindrop, I need a control backup.

Might just get one of those special QcK pads if the Gigantus v2 is a fast pad.
There's some things that can make glide vary as you probably already know like the mouse skates, mouse weight, and cable type. But regardless of all of that the mouse pad still leans more towards speed rather than control. It's not going to glide across like a hockey puck on ice but it's not super slow either.

To give you a better example

Speed to slow from left to right

QCK -> Gigantus v2 -> GSR

So if I were to fling my current mouse across each pad, the QCK would have it fly off the mousepad, the Gigantus v2 would have it glide across a little then stop, and the GSR would stop it almost immediately
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 10:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 47)
Quote: Originally Posted by ncck View Post
There's some things that can make glide vary as you probably already know like the mouse skates, mouse weight, and cable type. But regardless of all of that the mouse pad still leans more towards speed rather than control. It's not going to glide across like a hockey puck on ice but it's not super slow either.

To give you a better example

Speed to slow from left to right

QCK -> Gigantus v2 -> GSR

So if I were to fling my current mouse across each pad, the QCK would have it fly off the mousepad, the Gigantus v2 would have it glide across a little then stop, and the GSR would stop it almost immediately
Yeah feet, weight, and all that jazz.

The little flowchart helps. Considering it is uncoated (or so they say), I'll probably like it more than the QcK I was initially going to settle on. I'm sure the QcK would end up as slow, if not more, the easy skin-staining and durability from my last buy was not good for myself, so I'll give this one a stab.

MX518 Legendary
Nixeus Revel
Logitech G603 (91g)

Allsop Raindrop XL
Razer Goliathus Speed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Mouse lover

Let me know what you think when you get it, I'm like 90% sure this thing has no coating on it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by ncck View Post
Let me know what you think when you get it, I'm like 90% sure this thing has no coating on it
I can confirm that. No coating because ANY coating will eventually (and unevenly) wear off.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 225 (Unique: 199)
Well I ordered a V2 large from Amazon today. I would have ordered it from Razer directly but they want $10 shipping for a $15 mousepad where amazon will ship for free. Looks like I have to wait till 6/8 for it come in stock. I'm pretty stuck on the HyperX Fury S Pro pad and have had it for a couple years so I wouldn't mind a change and I like the fact there's not a big stupid logo imprinted on it.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in