Roccat Kain 200 Aimo review - A Logitech and Razer wireless competitor or a fail? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Roccat Kain 200 Aimo review - A Logitech and Razer wireless competitor or a fail?

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 225 (Unique: 199)
Roccat Kain 200 Aimo review - A Logitech and Razer wireless competitor or a fail?

Shape -
Shape is right hand only ergo focused. Seems like a pretty well thought out ergo shape but it does force you to palm grip or at least keep your palm in contact with the back. The back is too high to fingertip grip. It also seems like it could do with being a few MM shorter. There is really no reason for it to be as tall as it is. Both sides curve in so its really easy to hold on to and to pick up consistently. Honestly though if you are looking for an ergo shape mouse that's Medium to Medium large I don't think you would be disappointed with the shape.

Coating -
Roccats coatings are usually really good and this one is the same. It's a nice matte grippy finish. Better than just about anything out there including the GPro, Viper and Glorious Model O Matte. Seems like maybe it's a UV paint of some sort.

Build Quality -
Roccat mice always seem like they are built really well. This one maybe even more so than previous ones. It seems super sturdy and high quality throughout. Absolutely no rattles anywhere, no rough edges and all the plastic feels high quality.

M1/M2 Buttons -
One of the features of this mouse is the "Titan clicks" and I will say they are really nice. They are fairly similar to the GPro wireless except maybe a bit more precise and crispy. If I had to nit pick I wish they had less post travel so they were easier to spam.

Side Buttons -
Side buttons are usable but they are one of my least favorite parts of this mouse. They are a little bit larger than they need to be and the tactile feedback of them is lacking. Sometimes if you are using them in game you don't even notice the click just that what is bound to it activates. Kind of a disconnected experience I could probably get used to it over time. They aren't hard to press or in a bad spot so the click feeling is probably the least important.

Scroll Wheel -
Scroll wheel is really nice, just the right amount of tension and it's quiet scrolling up and down. It has a nice rubbery texture.

Feet -
Feet are fine but nothing to write home about. No dragging or scratching but not the best glide for stock feet. If this was going to be my main mouse I would replace them with something else.

Aming Performance / Sensor -
When this mouse is working I don't have any issues with aiming however the LOD is high even at it's lowest setting which could be a turn off for some. It's also too heavy to be competitive. It just cant compare to the lower weight of the GPro or Viper Ultimate. I feel like I get locked into lazy aim with this mouse due to the weight. Basically favoring full arm movement over wrist movement for precision.

Battery Life -
Battery life is pretty good. Seems like you can get a solid 4 or 5 days out of it and probably easily a week or more if you aren't gaming. I left the lights off for the most part.

Wireless Performance -
This in my testing seems to be a weak spot of this mouse. When I was first testing it I noticed some stuttering every few minutes. I realized it was because the mouse was too close to my wifi router. I experimented and shut off the wireless in my wifi router completely and this resolved the issue so I knew it was related to wifi. I ended up moving the router to the floor instead of on top of my desk and that was fine as well. Neither the GPro wireless or the Viper Ultimate had issues previously with the wireless router being on my desk. So if you get this mouse beware that your wifi router probably needs to be at least 5 feet away from it.

Software -
Roccat's software is kind of a mess. If I was an average consumer I probably would have returned this mouse based on the initial software experience alone. First off there are no instructions included with the mouse. So you just have to kind of assume there is software in the first place. Once you download and install it nothing happens. You have to go find it and launch it. As soon as I launched it it popped up and told me I had to download the aimo module to use it but that was all it said, no further instructions on where to download it. I had to go click on the gear, click downloads then find the aimo module and click install. At this point I hadn't tried the mouse wirelessly yet because I figured it needed to charge so I just initially plugged it in USB. Apparently this was a mistake. Once I had the aimo module installed it told me the mouse needed an update so I told it to go ahead and update. It updated the mouse and things seemed fine however once it was charged and I tried it wirelessly the first time things went south. When I plugged in the wireless receiver I got a pop up saying it needed to update the receiver but it would fail every time I clicked update. I got a message saying update failed please contact support. I tired uninstalling the software, reinstalling etc and couldn't get the receiver to update. To make things worse with a new firmware version on the mouse and old firmware on the receiver they won't communicate anymore. So at this point the mouse would not sync up to the receiver. I pulled out my laptop and plugged in just the receiver, installed the swarm software, downloaded the aimo module and got the update popup and updated the receiver. Once the receiver was updated I plugged it back into my desktop and it connected right up to the mouse and everything seemed fine. So basically epic fail on Roccat's part. If you don't plug the receiver in first and update it before the mouse it will not update at all unless you use another computer with a fresh install of the software. This is just poor software design all the way around.

With everything working the software itself is fairly complicated and doesn't always change settings when you tell it to. When I was trying to shut off the lights on the mouse the first time it wouldn't apply the settings at all. I had to close it and relaunch it then go re apply the settings. Also the mouse battery life indicator is buggy. When I had the mouse plugged in USB it said the battery life was 100% all the time. You have to be using the mouse wirelessly to get an accurate battery reading. So if you are trying to charge the mouse via USB as far as I can tell there is no indication that it's fully charged because if it's plugged in USB it will say it's always at 100% even if it's not and it's charging.

Final thoughts -
This mouse is a hard sell for me and I would have a hard time recommending it to anyone unless all you cared about was how quality something felt in your hand and you had to have the best or if you really wanted a good ergo shape wireless. Even then I might recommend the G703 or the Rival 650 over it based on the other issues I had. Even if the wireless worked flawlessly and I didn't have any software issues I wouldn't have ever considered this a mouse I could use as my main due to the weight. It's just too heavy to use for anything more than casual play. That's a bummer considering it seems to be designed to be a direct competitor to Logi and Razer's latest competitive offerings. It does a lot of things right but it's fails are really bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200531_191008.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	351342  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200531_191029.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	897.7 KB
ID:	351344  

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Arous Elite
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Corsair H110i W/Phanteks F140MP Fans
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire Mk2
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by killeraxemannic; 06-02-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:10 AM
Mouse addict

Rep: 33 (Unique: 23)
There's also the fact that even under best case conditions, motion delay is around 5 ms in wireless mode: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/r...kain-200-aimo/

Mice currently owned: Logitech G402/G403/G303/G Pro, Zowie FK1/EC2-A/EC2-B/ZA12, Razer Deathadder 2013/Basilisk, Cooler Master Mastermouse S/MM530/MM520, Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye, Dream Machines DM1 Pro S/FPS/DM3 mini, EVGA Torq X3/X5, Ninox Venator, HP Omen 600, Thermaltake Ventus X RGB Optical/Ventus R, Microsoft WMO, Steelseries Rival 310, Nixeus Revel, Ozone Neon M50

Looking to buy and try: Ninox Astrum
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by cdcd View Post
There's also the fact that even under best case conditions, motion delay is around 5 ms in wireless mode: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/r...kain-200-aimo/
I didn't really notice that but it's not surprising. It's a bummer they didn't get the technical stuff worked out because it really could have been a nice mouse.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:43 AM
mfw

Rep: 521 (Unique: 240)
This is surprising to me, considering DrDisrespect is maining this one. Surely he'd notice so many issues (tracking, delay, etc).

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy White v2.0
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
I really like the shape... more than G403, DA...
But they definitively had to looked also more on the weight (wired version 3389)

Last edited by Klopfer; 06-03-2020 at 06:58 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
This is surprising to me, considering DrDisrespect is maining this one. Surely he'd notice so many issues (tracking, delay, etc).
Pay anyone enough and they will use anything. I don't feel like I was at a huge disadvantage using it or anything and I really do like the shape but for me and I would assume for most people you could probably aim better with a lighter mouse. Doc could also be using it wired when he's gaming competitively. I think the delay is minimal when it's wired according to some of the charts from the tech powerup review.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 47)
Surely you just.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 11:54 AM
mfw

Rep: 521 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by SmashTV View Post
Surely you just.
*jest

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Vortex Race 3 RGB
Mouse
Glorious Model O Glossy White v2.0
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 47)
*jest
Ah yes the damn auto correct. Apparently jest isn't used enough, even though e and u are far enough.

I still maintain that most people won't notice the delay...

It is nice to compare though, so companies can't fall back on "well how would you know" and not improve.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by SmashTV View Post
Ah yes the damn auto correct. Apparently jest isn't used enough, even though e and u are far enough.

I still maintain that most people won't notice the delay...

It is nice to compare though, so companies can't fall back on "well how would you know" and not improve.
I don't think I noticed the delay when I was using it but I really didn't get as much time with it as I had planned because I ended up just returning it based on the other issues.

CPU
AMD R9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws V 3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime 650w
Cooling
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Monitor
Dell SD2716DG 27" 144hz
Keyboard
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Logitech G640
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
aimo , kain , mouse , review , Roccat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in