The illusive hard pad that doesn't suxxor - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The illusive hard pad that doesn't suxxor

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 178 (Unique: 117)
The illusive hard pad that doesn't suxxor

I like hard pads better than cloth. But out of the tons of hard pads I've bought, I've only liked two or three so far:

1) Insignia Hard pad from Best Buy (which replaced the Rocketfish hard pad? Maybe same company? Looks same?) - If your mouse feet, DPI, and all the other stars align, this is one of the most consistent, accurate, hard pads there is. There's very little grain, so the surface gives you a very linear flick, unlike most other hard pads that are designed by absolute buffoons where the amount of force and friction during starting movement, mid movement, and stopping movement are all highly different giving you similar problems as mouse acceleration in terms of accuracy due to differences in friction being all over the place.

The main problem most hard pads have is they either achieve linear movement by giving you absolutely zero friction and control through the course of all movements, or they throw linear movement out the window and give you more friction and control starting from a stand still, but then have zero friction after you get moving. The pad needs to be linear and consistent through it's entire range. This is one of the few hard pads that actually does that.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=3640004

2) Steelseries 4HD - was discontinued and replaced with the "QCK Hard", which is much faster and out of control with less accuracy. This pad is worth mentioning and feels pretty good, but would be hard to recommend as top choice because this pad's speed is more affected by things like moisture or grease on the surface than just about any pad I've seen.

The difference in this pad being freshly wiped off with a wet paper towel vs having been used for a few days is enormous in terms of cursor speed. It's much slower freshly cleaned while the oil from your hands or whatever turn this pad into the speed of a greased hog after a day or two of use. In other words, this is one of the most inconsistent pads in existence unless you clean it every day. Pads like the Insignia above are far far less affected.

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-4.../dp/B002J9G5AE

3) Razer Vespula v1 - was discontinued and replaced with a dual side pad with cloth + control side, but the 'speed' side from v1 was the only good side in the first place, so they essentially deleted the good part of the pad. I'm speaking entirely from memory, but I seem to remember this pad having pretty linear movement on the speed side, as opposed to the issues I talked about above.

As for other hard pads, I've tried stuff like the Logitech G440, and it has the 'greased hog' speed of movement with next to no friction and control through the entire movement range as described above. I'm not sure who can actually use pads like these. Maybe 400 DPI players? Even 400 DPI players would probably overshoot though? Same issue with the new 'QCK Hard'. Then you have pads like the "Blade Hawks" hard pad.

This pad is decent and kinda similar to the Insignia/Rocketfish hard pad, but the pad itself seems thicker + has thicker rubber pads on the base? So it kinda sits too high like a 4x4 truck compared to the Insignia hard pad. The Insignia is thinner and does have the problem of warping a little too easy, so this does solve that problem. As for alternatives, I haven't really seen any good alternatives. Most hard pads seem to fall under the category of absolutely no friction or control and unusable, or they use a generic Razer/Rocketfish 'control' side which is too rough like driving on a gravel road, while the generic Rocketfish/Razer speed side without the pot holes in it is the far better option.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to

Last edited by r0ach; 06-11-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 03:27 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 9)
Have you tried the Skypad?

Thread about it here:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-...next-week.html

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Stop wasting money on corporate bull**** and get a HDPE sheet with matte finish. Comes cheaper, you can choose your own size and beats anything released by brand names
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 01:47 AM
"Insert dumb quote here"

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Skypads are the only ones that offer control with the least amount of friction, without deteriorating over time. Hardpads would definitely be used more often if companies would offer bigger sizes. Most hardpads are tiny and not really usable for medium to low sensitivity.

For the ones not liking glass but still wanting to try a hardpad, i can only recommend Func F-series as they offer a decently sized option and are at least usable with medium sensitivity.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 03:05 AM
Dankeroni Pepperoni

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
The best hardpad I've ever used is the Ratpadz (if you remember this, you're a real hard pad OG) and basically everything else has been chasing that ideal. 99% as good was a sheet of Seaboard HDPE I bought from a local plastics supplier. The Skypad XL is the most excited I've been over a hardpad in a long time.

the feel when you're stuck using a 10 year old office mouse because you can't aim with anything else... FeelsBadMan
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 178 (Unique: 117)
I don't understand the excitement for any glass pad. I bought one years ago (don't remember the name) and it was REALLY slow - slower than the slowest cloth pad. Guess it depends on how they do the surface and what type of mouse feet you use, but the one I used was not just bad but terrible.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 11:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Glass pads that's made similar to icemat (and the somewhat recent frostpad) will be faster than pretty much any cloth pad (sans maybe cordura cloth pads), with added control.
The added durability (lasts forever) plus the possibility of coating it with ptfe or silicon spray (without messing it up and if you want it faster) makes them probably the best choice.
Aluminium is fine, somewhat faster but without any texture. Bends/buckles practically instantly.
Plastic pads with texture (like the razer pro solutions pad and others released after it) is probably still the fastest, but then you run into the issue of having to replace it every 3 month because it's worn out.
Some have said you can make a plastic pad last a lot longer using ptfe spray but have no experience with that myself.

The asus cordura cloth pad is fantastic and barely wears out, though somewhat thin. Getting a custom made glass pad from a glass company that's sandblasted with fine texture and 50cmx50cm is the dream but haven't bothered looking it up.

HDPE/PTFE sheets is basically useless since it doesn't offer any type of texture or grip (which made some mice not track properly). Might as well use a silk cloth.

consider the asus rog scabbard if you're tired of plastic pads wearing out. it's so often on sale and pretty great. that coolermaster cordura type pad (mp510 i think) is also fine, though slower with added control.

EDIT:
the Skypad looks to be exactly the same as icemat/frostpad. With the same issue as both those. it's too small. even the XL are too small. Since hitting the left or right corners on glass pads usually mean having to deal with the glass thickness and accidentally slide it completely off, a larger glass pad is preferred imo. It's much more jarring hitting the corners compared to any other type of pad. 50cmx50cm would be perfect for pretty much anyone imo.

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.

Last edited by lainx; 07-25-2020 at 11:16 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
I don't understand the excitement for any glass pad. I bought one years ago (don't remember the name) and it was REALLY slow - slower than the slowest cloth pad. Guess it depends on how they do the surface and what type of mouse feet you use, but the one I used was not just bad but terrible.
yes glass is not good, but it feels better than the other things they sell and it has some things that is better than total trash that is the top priority for the companies sell plastics to get money every day to people paying money for it and paying the costs for all

and it has a good finish the skypad, definitely worth buying if its not expensive and try as it will be better in some things that can be used for sitting on in the chair making it more comfortable as the chair deteriorate sooner or later

if you are buying more gear in some or any case

good thread this time, great best i've noticed see you ever talked about , Top
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Invicta...dp/B072ZPMR3L/

have any tried, or how smooth is the smooth side?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 03:02 PM
Never Finished

Rep: 279 (Unique: 216)
I own a Skypad 2.0, three of them in fact since I like them so much I put them on all of my systems. You can't compare this glass mat to other glass ones. This one actually has little friction yet great control. My Steelseries I-2 (Icemat) has noticeably more friction and micro-movements are pretty inaccurate due to the mouse sticking.

The Skypad is basically a G440 with a little more friction but better control and lasts forever. My G600 feels great on it, and my Zaunkoenig M1K practically disappears on this pad.

Also, the surface is flat unlike some hardmats that are convex due to having no solid foundation like metal or something. That's part of the reason why the G440 is hard to control; the center is warped out.

1680 V2 4.5GHz | Trident X 4x4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Enthoo Pro II | TS140P | Azeron Classic | Zaunkoenig M1K
Logitech G600 | Skypad 2.0 | Tt Meka G-Unit MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | 51TB DAS | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW

Last edited by airisom2; 07-26-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in