G Pro Wireless - excessive power saving - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

G Pro Wireless - excessive power saving

Closed Thread

post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:41 PM
OCN is bad civilization

Rep: 122 (Unique: 91)
That pursuit of performance is measurable and in most cases reproducible. Your feels are not.
People with common sense usually can grasp this concept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
low IQ

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Melan View Post
That pursuit of performance is measurable and in most cases reproducible. Your feels are not.
People with common sense usually can grasp this concept.
Then buy a 5k+ fps camera and stop s**tposting. What a joke
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:49 PM
OCN is bad civilization

You're the one claiming input lag. So either post some proof or as you said
Quote:
stop s**tposting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
low IQ

Quote: Originally Posted by Melan View Post
You're the one claiming input lag. So either post some proof or as you said
I'm sorry I can't afford dropping 5 or 6 digits on proper measuring equipment. Now stop vomiting all over this thread with your useless comments, ty
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:56 PM
OCN is bad civilization

Yes, it's much easier to just post on a forum then get upset when people tell you that their experience is different for a reason.
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 47)
GPW is pretty legit. Seems the OP has a high latency system or such, if the mouse is sluggish. Or some pretty strong interference.

Nonetheless, seems isolated to just that PC. Wonder if OP will run some comparisons against a "good" mouse...
post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Logitech mice cannot even maintain a stable 1k polling rate. It dips to 500hz , 100 times a sec to save power, you cannot disable this (I haven't found any "unofficial" to disable it either.) Also not to mention they were soo lazy that they just globally implemented this into all their mice , including my wired g102. This is easily measurable with with mousetester

Why is it so unimaginable that there might be more power saving going on, especially on wireless mice? The entire, "If you cant measure it, it doesn't exist" is not productive either. Asking someone to spend thousands of dollars on a high fps camera just to prove their point on a forum is just very rude.

Life is rough. Thanks to people on bloated w10 with 100 layers of power saving in bios not being able to notice the difference between 1k hz and 500hz, Logiscam can get away with their bull****. Anyways if someone actually knows how to disable all the power saving instead of spouting "placebo" that would be very nice.
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brainlet View Post
The battery only has 35% of the capacity of the predecessor but somehow lasts 10x longer. Do you see what's wrong here? Logitech didn't bend reality to pull extra energy out of the void, they just implemented tons of power saving which might not affect the average joe but is a big problem for power users.
Not that I'm interested in defending Logitech or anything but speaking in general terms this sort of strawman argument doesn't really have any objective merit.

10x efficiency gain isn't completely unprecedented in semiconductor space.

AMD did 25x in 6 years : https://www.anandtech.com/show/15881...e-line-in-2020

And this doesn't even come close to what the mobile phone space has seen.
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:55 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 202 (Unique: 134)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brainlet View Post
The slogan is literally "pursuit of performance", yet 90% of the posts here are just consumer cattle believing the snake oil of "power saving without performance impact" of multimillion dollar companies, whose target audience are people playing singleplayer games with a controller on 4k60hz monitors.
So far your evidence has been feels, second hand feels, and insults. Not super convincing.

If you have a good argument and are interested in the truth some push back is useful. You don't need to take it personally. We aren't "consumer cattle" if we don't automatically believe you when your experiance does not match ours. We would be seriously credulous if we believed some random guy on the internet over our own experiance, wouldn't we? Also, you really believe power saving without performance impact is impossible? We are already at the limit of physics? A more efficient chip seems pretty reasonable to me, better process and more self contained. Maybe there is something true to this and Logitech achieved lower power use with aggressive power saving, instead of only more efficient hardware, but insults are not going to convince anyone. Come up with a test that could prove your idea wrong and come back with some data if you want us to believe you. Or you can just insult us more and we can write you off as a nutter.

These kind of issues have been proven in the past, micro-stutter was a real problem that not everyone believed. I noticed it but I didn't understand why it felt so bad. It took more than forum posts saying "it feels bad" to point to the real issue and convince those who could solve it to act. Those posts were true but they didn't offer anyone a way to test improvements or see the issue for themselves. A lot of the "fixes" offered were total garbage and had nothing to do with the cause of the issue. If you come up with a convincing and reproducible way someone could prove the issue to themselves you could probably get Logitech to fix it, since if people could reliably test for it on their system it would generate social media noise.

A power draw test would be helpful as a first pass that doesn't require very expensive equipment. Is it really using less power when it feels sluggish to you or is it caused something else? Maybe someone with a decent current meter also has the mouse and could test it?

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Velocity + EK GPU Block
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox 40GbE
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Asmodian; 07-22-2020 at 07:59 PM.
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
low IQ

Quote: Originally Posted by SmashTV View Post
GPW is pretty legit. Seems the OP has a high latency system or such, if the mouse is sluggish. Or some pretty strong interference.

Nonetheless, seems isolated to just that PC. Wonder if OP will run some comparisons against a "good" mouse...
Do you realize how ridiculuous you sound saying that with a literal logitech avatar? Fanboys...
The opposite. If anything, people with high input lag can't notice it since the impact relative to their total input lag isn't big enough.
It's not isolated on this system as I already stated multiple times.

Quote: Originally Posted by Razer_TheFiend View Post
Not that I'm interested in defending Logitech or anything but speaking in general terms this sort of strawman argument doesn't really have any objective merit.

10x efficiency gain isn't completely unprecedented in semiconductor space.

AMD did 25x in 6 years : https://www.anandtech.com/show/15881...e-line-in-2020

And this doesn't even come close to what the mobile phone space has seen.
CPUs are an entirely different ballpark to a simple sensor and mouse firmware. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Also, as I already said, if you disable all the power saving features even modern CPUs will consume a LOT of power in idle.

Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
So far your evidence has been feels, second hand feels, and insults. Not super convincing.
I'd rather spend my time searching for more ways to disable layers of power saving in my hardware than spend money and time on trying to prove something people will dismiss as "humans can't notice it anyways" after being proven wrong. Besides, nobody asked you people to comment in this thread. Nobody forces you to believe anything. I asked 2 explicit questions, yet people felt the need to post useless passive-aggressive comments instead of just not posting at all. And I'm the one being rude? Ok buddy.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in