G Pro Wireless - excessive power saving - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

G Pro Wireless - excessive power saving

Closed Thread

post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
low IQ

Rep: 0
G Pro Wireless - excessive power saving

I'm using relatively high dpi (2000) for web browsing and other desktop related things which results in the sensor / mouse being in a sluggish low power state. The only way to "wake" it up is to do large, quick swipes. The higher performance mode does barely last and switches back to a snoozefest very quickly though.

Has anyone successfully modded the firmware to disable power saving features?

Can anyone who owns both the GPW and Viper Ultimate and has a highly optimized system can confirm whether the Viper Ultimate has such behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
what? I never heard of it being in a battery saving mode while being used and I've owned it for months. The only thing it does for me, is completely shut down if I dont use it at all.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
low IQ

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/innovation/hero.html

https://www.logitech.com/assets/65542/pro-wireless.pdf

https://www.logitech.com/assets/6584...-mouse-qsg.pdf

The battery only has 35% of the capacity of the predecessor but somehow lasts 10x longer. Do you see what's wrong here? Logitech didn't bend reality to pull extra energy out of the void, they just implemented tons of power saving which might not affect the average joe but is a big problem for power users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 04:35 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1451 (Unique: 731)
battery size isn't the only barometer of battery life, lol. the main selling point of the Hero sensor from day one has been significantly lower power consumption.

my G703 (Hero) is about in line with what Aymanb said, it shuts off when not being used but wakes up basically instantaneously and works fine. no switching to a "low power" mode.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(9 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (MX Blue)
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Mousepad
X-Ray 27" x 14"
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate
Audio
Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Keyboard
Dierya DK63 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
low IQ

Just because you have high input lag and can't notice it it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I know a couple others who experience the same thing, all of them having optimized systems. Lower power consumption (quoting you: "the main selling point") usually comes with more power saving. The same thing happens with CPUs/GPUs/RAM/etc. My 6 core uses 70w IDLE on desktop with nothing open after I disabled a bunch of power saving features. It's really not that hard to understand.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 05:37 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 202 (Unique: 134)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brainlet View Post
Just because you have high input lag and can't notice it it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I know a couple others who experience the same thing, all of them having optimized systems. Lower power consumption (quoting you: "the main selling point") usually comes with more power saving. The same thing happens with CPUs/GPUs/RAM/etc. My 6 core uses 70w IDLE on desktop with nothing open after I disabled a bunch of power saving features. It's really not that hard to understand.
You might feel like it is a sure thing, but your "can't notice it it doesn't mean it doesn't happen" can easily be countered with a "just because you think it happens doesn't mean it does". Don't try to say humans don't make up and believe weird things like this all the time. It's really not that hard to understand. I know I have proven what I had experienced to be completely made up several times. I tend to do it with encoding settings (Xvid/x264/x265) and sometimes display calibration or other image quality issues. Brains suck and I don't trust your's any more than mine. In fact I have reason to trust The Pook's over your's (the 9 Cans of Ravioli). Did you suggest the issue to them before these others "confirmed" it? What does "all with optimized systems" even mean?

This is not to say you aren't correct, it could be real. I am simply pushing back against you being so sure of yourself and your assumption of the cause, based only on the evidence you have presented. Your issue is the kind that is really hard to accurately diagnose so jumping to a conclusion about what is happening because it makes sense to you and "it must like my CPU" is poor reasoning. It is a reasonable hypothesis but you act like it is obviously what is happening, which is simply not the case. It is VERY possible for someone to develop a sensor that uses a lot less power without also using some lower power state that updates less often for high DPI settings (this would also be very stupid, you need more updates at high DPI, not less). The reason a LED light is more efficient than an incandescent one is not because of PWM or something, it is because they are a new technology that uses less power to produce the same amount of light.

"Highly optimized" sounds like a made up thing, are you messing with timers and crap or what?

"Soldering resistors onto your video card to bypass the manufacturers over current protection kind-of sort-of absolute-definitely voids your warranty"
Desktop
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU
Nvidia 2080 Ti
RAM
32GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Intel 900P
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
Seasonic 1200W
Cooling
EK Velocity + EK GPU Block
Case
Old Marble Slab
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG C9 55"
Keyboard
Wooting two
Mouse
Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
Arctis Pro Wireless
Other
Mellanox 40GbE
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 05:55 PM
OCN is bad civilization

Rep: 122 (Unique: 91)
I'm not sure OP even understands where this "input lag" comes from. Just assumes it has to be the mouse and not software layers upon software layers of "highly optimized (butchered)" OS install, butchered BIOS images and other snake oil from FOTM input lag guide on reddit.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
low IQ

Quote:
Did you suggest the issue to them before these others "confirmed" it?
All have come to the same conclusion independently before this topic was even brought up.

Quote:
"Highly optimized" sounds like a made up thing, are you messing with timers and crap or what?
Optimized Windows 7, BIOS (modern BIOSes have 1500-2000 settings which are accessible through modding, lots of power saving features among them), properly overclocked system (RAM focussing on latency over bandwidth), disabled power saving features of Nvidia GPUS (there are hundreds of undocumented registry keys which can be found RE-ing the driver), 240hz monitor, only 2 USB devices connected (mouse and keyboard, keyboard poll downclocked) just to name a few things. My system is pulling roughly 200w total idling on desktop.

Quote:
FOTM input lag guide on reddit
Reddit is about as clueless as you people

I asked 2 questions.
Quote:
Has anyone successfully modded the firmware to disable power saving features?

Can anyone who owns both the GPW and Viper Ultimate and has a highly optimized system can confirm whether the Viper Ultimate has such behavior?
None of you addressed them. I don't care about what you people consider placebo with your bogged down systems. If you don't have anything relevant to say, then don't say anything.

Last edited by Brainlet; 07-22-2020 at 06:08 PM.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:14 PM
OCN is bad civilization

Rep: 122 (Unique: 91)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brainlet View Post
Reddit is about as clueless as you people
Then why are you here? You don't seem to be interested in opinion contrary to your own and this subforum is already a meme without your rambling.
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
low IQ

Quote: Originally Posted by Melan View Post
Then why are you here? You don't seem to be interested in opinion contrary to your own and this subforum is already a meme without your rambling.
This subforum is a meme because of people like you posting here but it's accessible through Google and one way or another people with common sense will end up here.

The slogan is literally "pursuit of performance", yet 90% of the posts here are just consumer cattle believing the snake oil of "power saving without performance impact" of multimillion dollar companies, whose target audience are people playing singleplayer games with a controller on 4k60hz monitors.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in