Logitech MX 1000 Laser Mouse Review - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Logitech MX 1000 Laser Mouse Review

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 220 (Unique: 151)
Bought a Logitech MX 1000 Laser Mouse http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9043 a few days ago and thought I would post a review for it. My previous mouse was a Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0. Compairing the two the MX 1000 is better, but I am not so sure if I can justify the extra cost. The sticker price was $79. In retrospect, I paid $49 for the Intellimouse.

The MX 1000 Is a RF wireless mouse with a Laser optical camera that takes very high resolution refrence images that are extremely precise. I had no problem going to the Logitech Website, downloading the latest driver and installing it. Once installed, the setpoint software puts a tray app that you can use to configure the mouse. The crappy part is that it has to load into the system tray in order for the setting to take effect. The setpoint interface is very straight forward and allows any button (except the 2 primary buttons) to be changed to another function. It is nice to be able to assign keyboard functions to each of the programmable buttons so that you can use them for specific functions in your favorite games. Very handy. The mouse is extremely sensitive, but can be adjusted inside the setpoint software.

The 4 issues I have with the mouse are 1. It is big, so if you have a keyboard shelf under your desk, it might be a little large for comfort. 2. The clickable regions on the Mouse 1 and 2 are not as large as the Intellimouse, which is a big drawback for me. 3. You can push the scroll wheel side to side, but not assign functions to those buttons. They are only for scrolling side to side in text or your browser. 4. The scroll wheel doesn't seem to have any sort of "ridge" to let you know how much you have turned it. Was it one click or 5?

Other than those gripes the MX 1000 is good. The battery life is long, and when the mouse is not being used will automatically shut-off. That is a neat battery saving feature. The battery is also rechargeable from the RF station, but the Battery is not user changable. So once it dies (probably in 1000 years) that's it.

I give the mouse 9/10, but if you currently have a quality mouse like the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, I would think very hard before plopping down $79 for a new mouse.

Let me know what you guys think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 07:52 AM
Linux Guru

Rep: 484 (Unique: 264)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermstix
Bought a Logitech MX 1000 Laser Mouse http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9043 a few days ago and thought I would post a review for it. My previous mouse was a Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0. Compairing the two the MX 1000 is better, but I am not so sure if I can justify the extra cost. The sticker price was $79. In retrospect, I paid $49 for the Intellimouse.

The MX 1000 Is a RF wireless mouse with a Laser optical camera that takes very high resolution refrence images that are extremely precise. I had no problem going to the Logitech Website, downloading the latest driver and installing it. Once installed, the setpoint software puts a tray app that you can use to configure the mouse. The crappy part is that it has to load into the system tray in order for the setting to take effect. The setpoint interface is very straight forward and allows any button (except the 2 primary buttons) to be changed to another function. It is nice to be able to assign keyboard functions to each of the programmable buttons so that you can use them for specific functions in your favorite games. Very handy. The mouse is extremely sensitive, but can be adjusted inside the setpoint software.

The 4 issues I have with the mouse are 1. It is big, so if you have a keyboard shelf under your desk, it might be a little large for comfort. 2. The clickable regions on the Mouse 1 and 2 are not as large as the Intellimouse, which is a big drawback for me. 3. You can push the scroll wheel side to side, but not assign functions to those buttons. They are only for scrolling side to side in text or your browser. 4. The scroll wheel doesn't seem to have any sort of "ridge" to let you know how much you have turned it. Was it one click or 5?

Other than those gripes the MX 1000 is good. The battery life is long, and when the mouse is not being used will automatically shut-off. That is a neat battery saving feature. The battery is also rechargeable from the RF station, but the Battery is not user changable. So once it dies (probably in 1000 years) that's it.

I give the mouse 9/10, but if you currently have a quality mouse like the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, I would think very hard before plopping down $79 for a new mouse.

Let me know what you guys think
Any product reviews that you want to post should be done in the Hardware Review Section. Just upload an image of the product and other requested information, them post your review for others to read.

I look forward to reading your review along side the porduct information and image.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 220 (Unique: 151)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfillpot
Any product reviews that you want to post should be done in the Hardware Review Section. Just upload an image of the product and other requested information, them post your review for others to read.

I look forward to reading your review along side the porduct information and image.
Thanks, I will move this over to the hardware review section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
i have a question for an mx1000 owner!

how does this connect? i have the denivo IR keyboard set from logitech and i was wondering if the keyboard could connect to the mx1000's reciever? would this work? thanks!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
dude for 79 bucks u could buy alot more.

for jsut a mouse it would definetly be cool but do u really need it.p

p.s i still stick to the $10 conventional mice (nothing beats them for counterstrike)

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
is it true that witht eh laser mice u can shine the laser in other peoples eyes?

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in