Q on Xai Sidebuttons - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Q on Xai Sidebuttons

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
I picked up the SS Xai over Black Friday. So far I am very impressed with the mouse, shape feels great and tracking seems superb. I also really like the pressure required to click the mouse buttons/side buttons.

I have however run into a problem. I was messing around with the SS drivers getting the mouse setup. I like to set my side thumb buttons to shift and ctrl keys. Reason being in some games ex. WoW, lets say I have skills hotkeyed 1-9 and Shift+1-9. I found it to be a lot easier, setting shift as the side button on my mouse to hold with my thumb instead of trying to hold shift and pressing the 6+ key with my left hand. I also do this with the ctrl key, so this effectively lets me bounce around my keyboard hitting hotkeys and using the modifiers with the thumb buttons on the mouse.

I have a Razer DeathAdder 3G and the drivers allow me to set a keystroke assignment. I can set the thumb button as Shift, Ctrl, any keyboard key I would like. I can effectively hold down the thumb button and have it work as if I was holding down shift on the actual keyboard. I don't see an option for this in the SS drivers.

I have tried to set a macro on the SS drivers, with just the downpress of shift. Doesn't work, I press and hold the side thumb button and it does not work as shift. I have managed to get it to work but not optimal. If I create a macro like say, Down Shift (1sec Delay) Release Shift. Now I find when I press the thumb button for a second it will function as if the shift key is pressed down. However, I would like it to function as the shift key while I press the key down, not for a set time duration.

Anyway to get around this and have it work in the same fashion as my Razer? Any help is greatly appreciated. I do really like this mouse, comfort level is great, but this would be a deal breaker for me. Fairly shocked to see the keystroke assignment missing from a $90 macro mouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 28)
Unfortunately that will not work with Xai because SS still hasn't implemented keyboard emulation into the software.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Well I have found a way to make this work, so I'm very happy. Great little program called X Mouse Button Control, you can get it here: http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/X...tonControl.htm

Basically it will run ontop of whatever drivers you have, uses little resources. You can select Simulated Keystrokes for Mouse 4 and 5 (thumb buttons). Setup Any keyboard keys you would like including modifiers, select the during feature. So while you press the thumb button down it will hold down the key. Works great with Shift and Ctrl keys on the Xai. Doesn't interfere with the other SS driver settings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in