140mm Loud Noctua Fan? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

140mm Loud Noctua Fan?

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 435 (Unique: 364)
140mm Loud Noctua Fan?

Did I make a mistake? Installed a U12SE cooler. Great quiet cooler.

Figured why not get a 140mm Noctua Chassis fan for improved airflow and silence.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CP...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to my BIOS, the CPU Cooler 120mm fan runs at 800-1000rpm and I can't hear it.

140mm fan running about the same and it's loud. Installed the low noise adapter and set the BIOS to silent mode to finally tame it. Is this normal? I thought these were supposed to be quiet.

My System
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asrock B350 Fatal1ty ITX
GPU
Asus GTX1060
RAM
G.Skill 8gb 3000mhz
Hard Drive
250gb Samsung 850 Pro
Optical Drive
SATA LG DVD Burner
Power Supply
EVGA 500w Gold
Case
EVGA Hadron Air
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro X64
Monitor
23" Asus 144hz
Keyboard
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G Pro
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 470 (Unique: 317)
Yeah, in my opinion those 140mm fans are getting loud at around 800 rpm when in a quiet room. I try to keep things below 800-900rpm for them.

Those 800-900rpm 140mm speeds I'm thinking about are for the worst case situation at full load. I try to set up the fan curves so that I get 400rpm when idle, and perhaps 600rpm for tasks that are making things a bit hot but where I'm not wearing headphones, then 800rpm for full load with a game with stressful graphics card use where I'm wearing headphones.

Meanwhile, I have 120mm fans that can be a good bit faster without being noticeable over the 140mm fans in the case. For example 1100rpm on "quiet" 120mm fan seems to compare well to 800rpm on a "quiet" 140mm fan.

When I was listing those speed settings I like for 140mm size, those were for the following fans that all use a similar shape for the fan blades: Thermalright TY-147, Noctua NF-A14, BeQuiet Silent Wings 3, Corsair ML-140. I've tried 3/4 of those and they all seem to get annoying for me personally at 800-900rpm. They do all work well with regards to performance, they are strong for the noise they make and seem to indeed be the best "quiet" fans you can get for getting fresh air into the case.

A thing that can sometimes happen if you are unlucky, there can be strange effects with air turbulence because of metal parts being in the way somewhere in front of the fan, or the dust filter interacting weirdly, or there can be vibrations getting amplified by the metal. You could try to experiment a bit, like check out the fan alone sitting on your mouse pad while connected to motherboard in the open PC case.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 435 (Unique: 364)
Yeah I'm still playing with it. Might try zip tying some wires away from airflow path.

My System
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asrock B350 Fatal1ty ITX
GPU
Asus GTX1060
RAM
G.Skill 8gb 3000mhz
Hard Drive
250gb Samsung 850 Pro
Optical Drive
SATA LG DVD Burner
Power Supply
EVGA 500w Gold
Case
EVGA Hadron Air
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro X64
Monitor
23" Asus 144hz
Keyboard
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in