IDE DVD drive - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

IDE DVD drive

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
IDE DVD drive

Hi,

I'm helping out a pal who's got an older Intel socket 478 machine which has the older IDE connectors on the motherboard. Does the DVD drive need drivers or will it be plug and play? - On Windows XP, I figure it should be plug n play.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Filthy Casual

Rep: 107 (Unique: 92)
Should be plug & play if I remember correctly... What's wrong with doing the "ole college try" and see if the IDE drive is recognized when he plugs it in and boots up WIN XP? If it isn't recognized, you should be able to find old IDE drivers that will work with his drive by Googling the drive's model #.

Xeno Storm V 1.2
(17 items)
CPU
i7 4790K (delidded)
Motherboard
GIGABYTE|GA-Z87X-D3H
GPU
EVGA 1080TI FTW3
RAM
4x4GB GSKILL @ 2133MHz
Hard Drive
WD 1002FAEX
Hard Drive
KINGSTON V300 120GB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Green WD5000AADS
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Cooling
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Acer XB270HU Predator
Keyboard
E-Element Z-88 RGB
Mouse
Corsair M65
Audio
Logitech X230 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah not a problem - My machines are not IDE but I did have one years ago - but this ole pal isn't computer savvy enough to get up n running with old machines so I've stepped into help out.

I think there was en error on boot and I think the DVD drive (not CD ROM) was connected to IDE 2 (max 2 on the board which is Abit SG-72 - I got all the drivers just in case they are needed).

I cloned the system with Macrium Reflect (great clone software) but now it's just trying to get the max out of the machine which is an office machine for daily use.

All I needed to know if drivers are needed which I could find - but if it's plug n play I'll try that.

After looking on Youtube, device #1 in IDE channel 1 is primary master then Primary slave. For IDE 2 it is secondary master then secondary slave.

I've pointed out there may be jumpers on the back of the devices eg - HDD or DVD drive that need setting according to the channel they are connected to - eg IDE 1 or IDE 2 and master or slave primary or secondary.

Is this correct of all devices? - and are there necessary alterations in the BIOS for primary and secondary master and slave devices.

In other words I ask if all devices need to be assigned specifically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:59 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Drivers aren't needed. No.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 929 (Unique: 730)
Quote: Originally Posted by fra z View Post
Yeah not a problem - My machines are not IDE but I did have one years ago - but this ole pal isn't computer savvy enough to get up n running with old machines so I've stepped into help out.

I think there was en error on boot and I think the DVD drive (not CD ROM) was connected to IDE 2 (max 2 on the board which is Abit SG-72 - I got all the drivers just in case they are needed).

I cloned the system with Macrium Reflect (great clone software) but now it's just trying to get the max out of the machine which is an office machine for daily use.

All I needed to know if drivers are needed which I could find - but if it's plug n play I'll try that.

After looking on Youtube, device #1 in IDE channel 1 is primary master then Primary slave. For IDE 2 it is secondary master then secondary slave.

I've pointed out there may be jumpers on the back of the devices eg - HDD or DVD drive that need setting according to the channel they are connected to - eg IDE 1 or IDE 2 and master or slave primary or secondary.

Is this correct of all devices? - and are there necessary alterations in the BIOS for primary and secondary master and slave devices.

In other words I ask if all devices need to be assigned specifically?

Are they sharing the same IDE cable?

Only time you'd use the jumpers is if 2 hdd's are on one cable and one is a primary boot drive.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Right OK...jumpers used only if 2 drives are sharing one IDE channel

And....I've heard back off ole pal who's tried again to connect the DVD drive to IDE channel #2, the jumper removed and the machine boots so this is progress.

After this machine is sorted out there are 3 more to look at.

I've noticed the ATX power connector on the motherboard has fewer pins in than the ATX 24 pin of newer motherboards.....and on another machine I know one of the PSU's isn't working so is it possible to use a newer PSU with 24 pin connectors and leave 4 pins hanging over the edge of the ATX power on the motherboard on the next machine I look at? - or is a specific PSU / cable needed? - thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Actually I've found an adapter that is used - 20 - 24 pin ATX - thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi,

I've tried to get some of the IDE-SATA or SATA to IDE converters work.

2 motherboards - one is Abit SG-72 & the other is TriGem Imperial - old mobo's - well before SATA arrived.

I've come to conclusion maybe best for old pal to get IDE HDD's and use a USB-SATA external bridge for adding data / saving data if ever needed so there is a useable solution.

But......this issue has been nagging away at me ----Is it a difficult thing to do to use a SATA HDD on IDE motherboard that dates back to circa 2000-2005 ???

>>>>If there is a 100% adapter that works I may try again - Advise please..........

I've cloned the OS from IDE HDD to external USB SATA HDD so I know if there is an adapter that works it will recognize the HDD and boot XP - this was for XP 32 bit..................Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK found something that mentioned a SATA control card would be needed - which I've found a PCI version - I've seen how these would connect.

The SATA drivers would be needed but the motherboard does not have SATA drivers - Maybe XP would have a generic one?

This is for SATA HDD as boot drive on motherboard with IDE ports Tri Gem Imperial motherboard

Bit too much trouble to be honest but worth asking about - ANy comments ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:03 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Rep: 129 (Unique: 101)
PCI to SATA adapters do generally require drivers.

For XP you generally(some drivers are included with the operating system) install the driver from a floppy disk when installing windows. I kept a floppy drive in my system back then just for this reason.

I used one many years ago that was sold under the Maxtor name. It worked perfect for years and even had an IDE port as well.

Also with the IDE jumpers, some drives need the jumper set to Single(instead of the standard master position.) if you have only a single drive on the cable. Others did not care. I did not use CS(cable select) because it seemed to cause issues too often.

Gaming
(15 items)
Media Center
(17 items)
CPU
2600K @ 4.4
Motherboard
Maximus IV Gene-z
GPU
Asus Dual 1070 OC with Artic Mono Plus
RAM
G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X 16GB
Hard Drive
M4 256
Hard Drive
MX 300
Optical Drive
Liteon Slot load
Power Supply
Corsair 850HX
Cooling
H80i
Case
Silverstone FT03
Operating System
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Keyboard
Logitech G810 Orion
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
X-fi Titanium Fatality
CPU
i5 750
Motherboard
h55n usb3
GPU
msi gtx 650 ti
RAM
Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Hard Drive
WDC Red 3tb
Hard Drive
M4 128
Hard Drive
WDC scorpio Blue 2.5
Optical Drive
Sony AD-7690H-01
Power Supply
FSP SFX 300 watt
Cooling
Geminii S
Case
SG05
Operating System
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
Monitor
SyncMaster 245t
Keyboard
Logitech Wave
Mouse
Logitech G9
Audio
Sound Blaster Omni
Other
HD PVR
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in