[OBR] AMD FX2-8300/6300 (Piledriver Vishera) desktop processor is the last performance desktop CPU ever - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OBR] AMD FX2-8300/6300 (Piledriver Vishera) desktop processor is the last performance desktop CPU ever

post #61 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 188 (Unique: 146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post

Intel doesn't have a performance desktop CPU either. They use an "APU" as well. All this signifies is AMD is doing the same as Intel and making all their processors have a GPU core.
They are APU's but the performance isn't in HD4000 its in the processor cores. The APU's are more balanced. The issue is that we may never see an even slightly competitive high-end performance option from AMD. They may stop even trying on the upper end

Ryzen & Vega Enthoo Evolv ATX TG Case Mod Build Log
Audio (Click to show)
Sources: The Spectre | Lenovus Maximus | Huawei Honor 8
DAC's: HiFimeDIY Sabre SPDIF | iBasso D-Zero
Amplification:ASL MG-Head OTL Mark III
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650 | Shure SE215K | Logitech UE6000
Speakers
Home Theater/Lenovus Maximus: Pioneer Elite SC-85 > Music Angel SDXE M9 > Klipsch KG5.2 w/Crites tweeters/crossovers
The Spectre: Adam Ax7
Build Logs (Click to show)Overclocking Accolades (Click to show)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 218)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post

Intel doesn't have a performance desktop CPU either. They use an "APU" as well. All this signifies is AMD is doing the same as Intel and making all their processors have a GPU core.

LGA2011 CPUs don't have integrated graphics.

post #63 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd View Post

They are APU's but the performance isn't in HD4000 its in the processor cores. The APU's are more balanced. The issue is that we may never see an even slightly competitive high-end performance option from AMD. They may stop even trying on the upper end
I doubt AMD will hold back on how much of a 7970 they can cram into a APU. It's just how the schedule for APU's work, that an APU will always be generations behind discrete graphics due to having to share a CPU die. Tho in the future im sure we may see technological advances to open that door. Until then the goal is to kill off all the low end discrete to help save manufactures money (and make themselves more money).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 196)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post

I doubt AMD will hold back on how much of a 7970 they can cram into a APU. It's just how the schedule for APU's work, that an APU will always be generations behind discrete graphics due to having to share a CPU die. Tho in the future im sure we may see technological advances to open that door. Until then the goal is to kill off all the low end discrete to help save manufactures money (and make themselves more money).

A GPU in the same die as the CPU is more efficient though. That's where the market is heading. We have enough power for the grand majority of everyday applications, so they're trying to make more efficient solutions.

My Subzero Runs Thread
^^ Updated 11/04/10

post #65 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Apparently AMD will continue making high performance CPUs http://legitreviews.com/news/13942/
post #66 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe View Post

All AMD has to do is come up with a Micro ATX, very discrete tower, with a powerfull GPU(7770-7850), a decent quad-core and 64Gb ssd with windows 8 and 500-1000gb of HDD. This would sell like hot buns. As long as they keep the price under a grand I don't see why best buy wouldn't love those rigs.
Even newegg could sell those.

I can hope!!!
post #67 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post

I personally believe the integrated CPU GPU is the future. When Rumors started surfacing about the Merger, I was Full of Joy because I knew someday Id Have a CPU with a GPU Stuffed into it, one that had 0 lag between components. I had been waiting for so long for that moment. and now its here and pretty cheap!
For a normal user, possibly, but not for a person who is assembling and repairing his own computer. GFX on die increases power consumption, can severally reduce overclocking, reduces availability of cheap GFX cards, and would drive prices of GFX cards up. In addition it would create problem called socket compatibility.
post #68 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 247 (Unique: 174)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghar View Post

For a normal user, possibly, but not for a person who is assembling and repairing his own computer. GFX on die increases power consumption, can severally reduce overclocking, reduces availability of cheap GFX cards, and would drive prices of GFX cards up. In addition it would create problem called socket compatibility.

Look up HSA and AMD's fusion plan.

It's already here. New sockets have been created for them. The thermal envelop is the same as previous processors. These APUs can hybrid-crossfire with cheap graphics cards. And graphics card pricing on the high end comes down to competition with nVidia and AMD.

post #69 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I just noticed some very interesting info while doing AMD retail training. They're using Vishera based FX processors, with specs, as a reference for upcoming 2012 desktops.

post #70 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 254 (Unique: 189)
Thoughts?

Yeah, they better crap or get off the pot and release a damn 8-10 core APU instead of drooling over their precious 4-core apu roadmap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in